1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap Caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Do you put Snap Caps in your barrels went not using your shotgun?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

3. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Why?? Whats the purpose of that?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I put the snap caps in and fire taking the stress off the springs. I'm not certain its necessary but it sure can't hurt. I use the snap caps with the wool swab that I spray with oil before use.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Same thing Titan does. Bulge.

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Ditto .... brass snap cap with woolly mop to let off the firing pin spring.

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Snap caps are a precursor to negligent discharges. Moreover, they are completely unnecessary for their intended purpose in the vast majority of guns.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If it was necessary to remove the tension from a coil spring before storing it, every engine in every piece of heavy equipment, every motorcyles, car, truck, RV and aircraft with piston engines that sit idle over the winter year after year would have sacked valve springs. A coil spring made of good spring steel will survive compressed storage.

Keller

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Snap cap with wooley mop. Spray with oil. Bought the caps here on TS.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Absolutely. I use the "Zoom" brand caps because I on't like the fuzzy residue that the wooly caps leave behind. I use them to release the tension on the spings when not in use, and I also use them to dry fire in practice. Martinpicker

11. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

A firearm is not an aircraft, automotive, or heavy equipment engine. Leaving any firearm cocked and ready to fire and then stored for long periods of time can cause the springs to take a set, which can result in greatly increased lock times (the time between the trigger sear's disengagement and when the firing pin strikes the primer's cup) and in severe cases may result in light primer strikes and eventually require spring replacement. Any gunsmith worth his salt will tell you it's not a good idea to leave any firearm cocked and then stored for long periods of time. As for the snap caps, I personally don't find them to be absolutely essential, but I don't dry fire my guns any more than necessary.

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

shoobedoo - a friend of mine had a WWII era 1911 magazine that had been loaded with ammo since some time in the 40s. Almost 70 years later that magazine and ammo ran to slide lock without a hiccup.

And today's metallurgy is better.

Can springs take a set? Sure. Is it likely to happen within two human lifetimes to the extent that it will cause a malfunction? Not unless it was a piece of chit to begin with.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Snap caps with wooly mops keep some of my guns from getting flash rust...Browning says their guns can be dry fired with out issue, other say no...

I use 'em...

Jay

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"A firearm is not an aircraft, automotive, or heavy equipment engine."</I></blockquote>Very observant! But a coil spring is a coil spring whether it's controlling a valve or controlling a hammer.

Neither valve springs or hammer springs are EVER completely relaxed...they are ALWAYS under some amount of compression. They sit for years in a compressed state. Does THAT amount of compression damage them? If not, with so many coils in the spring, is enough compression even possible to damage the spring?

There is nothing special about a gun's coil spring simply because of the environment it operates in.

Keller

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I had Browning go over my BT 99 at the Grand in 2011. I had a wooly snap cap in the chamber. They removed it and told me it was not neccessary and dry fire would not harm anything. These were long time professional gun smiths. Do they know what they are talking about?
    Clyde

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Another thing about the brass/wooly mop ones; especially in Brownings, which I understand, you can hear rust. I cleaned and put up my Super Light Feather for the winter, with a new and oil sprayed wooly mop snap cap. (G-96) Next time I inspected it there was that copper, green corosion spot about the size of a BB between the brass cap and the chamber. Clean 'em, drop the hammers, & put 'em away, is what the manufacturers say, and I do.

best....mike

17. Oregunner

It's not the springs I worry about, it's the firing pins hitting their shoulder on an empty chamber, rather than the firing pin hitting the primer, or rubber primer, of the shell. If I could always count on the trigger not being pulled on an empty chamber, then I wouldn't use them. I have more firing pin stories, of guns at the range, that have broken, than I have time to tell, but have to think that there is a reason they are breaking, and snap caps are just a little insurance, to take the concussion off of the firing pin shoulder hitting the receiver hole. I see this much more often on break open guns, than on pumps or semi-auto guns. Mark

18. 338reddog

338reddog Member

When the hammers are down resting on the firing pin(s) are those firing pin springs being compressed? And they are of lighter construction? Why isnt there any worry adout those springs? Just asking because I dont know the answers

Jeff

19. Oregunner

They are in an uncompressed state. The firing pin is in the back position. The springs are designed to move the firing pin back after it has struck the primer. They are compressed as the firing pin moves through the firing pin hole, and then uncompress as the firing pin moves back into the receiver. Mark

20. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

If you don't to leave the snap caps in the chambers, why not pull the trigger to leave the pressure off of the springs. Then take off the foreend open the gun remove the snapcaps and close the gun then put the foreend back on. The gun will not be cocked. That is what I do with my old side by sides.

Bud Edwards