1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap caps that don't

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Snap caps that don

Snap caps that don't rust or corrode and where to buy them. My 682's don't have a problem. It's the BT's that seem to rust unless you look often. The most snap caps are either plastic or brass and they seem to collect moisture.

Dave

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

There are wooley snap caps.

3. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

e-mail kenent1@aol.com i bought a pair a month ago just like at brownells brass with a wolly mop and snap cap made in the u.s.a. and very high quality i spray the mop with rem oil and no rust in my bt99 only 15$ and 3$ shipping for 18$ total a great buy from a good guy. bob mctaggart

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about not putting any crap in your barrel when the gun isn't in use? Cost nothing and works really well.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I am with Wolfram, unless the BT-99 will still cock when opening the action without the forearm on. I have couple of 68x's but no BT-99.

With the Beretta 682 with the forearm off release the hammers on to snap caps, WITHOUT putting the forearm on. Open the action and remove the snap caps; close the action and now put the forearm on. You need the forearm on in order for the hammers to cock.

Jason

6. APrice

APrice Active Member

I like these:

http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/home/snap-caps-detail.php?category=shotgun

Mine didn't come with any "crap" on them.

Just oil'em up and slip'em in.

7. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

How about not putting any crap in your barrel when the gun isn't in use? Cost nothing and works really well.-wolfram

Yes it works really well if you want to replace your trigger springs by keeping your hammer cocked all time. Nothing like weak hammer springs.

Jason my with my BT with the action closed and the hammer down you can't put the forearm on.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Dave

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Two things: as far as decocking the firing pin springs you can use a block of Nylon that you hold against the breech face and pull the triggers. The firing pins striking the block will dampen the inpact to protect the firing pins and reciever. Using a piece of bone has worked for 100 years in double rifle circles.

As far as chambers getting rusty in storage, take a couple of paper hulls, and stuff them full of cloth. Fully soak the cloth with light oil, and seal the ends with glue. Spray the outsides with wd-40 or the like to get the wicking action started. Simply store these oil hulls in the chambers. Ten years later, the chambers are still clean and shiny and the hulls still feel oily with no mess in the guncase.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced there's any conclusive proof that leaving your hammers cocked fatigues them any more than pulling the trigger.

Indeed, springs CAN take a "set" when left under tension for long periods of time. But I mean looooong periods of time, like years.

But the truth is, for a firearm like a trap gun that gets taken out a lot, and the trigger is pulled a lot of times each time it is take out and used, the vast, vast majority of hammer spring fatigue comes from "cycles." In other words, pulling your trigger, having the spring force whack the hammer against the firing pin, and opening your gun to cock it again.

Using your gun wears out hammer springs, not leaving your gun in your safe, cocked.

The guys who invented snap caps are counting on you to believe you need to release the tension on your hammer springs to prevent them from wearing out faster.

Its all marketing. And little substance.

But dumba$$ that I am, I use them too.

You know they make plastic snap caps...

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced there's any conclusive proof that leaving your hammers cocked fatigues them any more than pulling the trigger.

Indeed, springs CAN take a "set" when left under tension for long periods of time. But I mean looooong periods of time, like years.

But the truth is, for a firearm like a trap gun that gets taken out a lot, and the trigger is pulled a lot of times each time it is take out and used, the vast, vast majority of hammer spring fatigue comes from "cycles." In other words, pulling your trigger, having the spring force whack the hammer against the firing pin, and opening your gun to cock it again.

Using your gun wears out hammer springs, not leaving your gun in your safe, cocked.

The guys who invented snap caps are counting on you to believe you need to release the tension on your hammer springs to prevent them from wearing out faster.

You know they make plastic snap caps...

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You know they DO make plastic snap caps...

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Been using a fed paper coated in rig for years and the BT chamber looks new

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You know they DO make plastic snap caps...

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

15. jhoward

jhoward Member

Try the link above. Never used them, so no first hand experience, but it sounds like what you are looking for.

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Tim, I think the "hammer spring" on your mouse is broken.

Bryan

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hammer springs weaken due to compression? Really do you actually know this to be something that will cause you any problem in your lifetime?

I must be blessed because I have a whole lot of shotguns and none of them has quit me due to a weak hammer spring. What wears springs out is the number of cycles. But anyone that shoots a shotgun this much will also have the ability to service and inspect their gun's action parts at least annually - not a problem.

How is it that the old M1912 I bought from an old lady that had stored the gun in a closet - action closed for over 60 years still fires flawlessly? Did they just have better springs back then?

What did all those poor shotgunners do before snap caps .... dang I'll bet none of them had shotguns that everworked right.

18. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I am not going to tell anyone what to do with their gun. It belongs to them and they can do what ever their heart desires. My guns belong to me and I have always relieved the hammer springs on all my center fires because a reliable gunsmith told me I should years ago. I also don't dry fire a gun (without a snap cap) unless the manufacturer instructions states I can.

I started this thread for information for snap caps not a argument over springs and like I said it's your gun not mine.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.