1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap Caps - Made my own.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TrapCrazy, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Thought I'd pass this along. I made some snap caps for my shotguns. Seeing that I have 6 different shotguns I figured I make some. I took a hull I normally dont reload so I would get confused, in my case a gold Nitro., punched out the primer, pushed a 1 ounce wad in. Then loaded the shell with rice and crimpled. I then pump hot glue into the primer hole to fill the powder cavity and primer area. Trimmed the excess glue flush with the base and there it is. According to my cost to produce:

6 Nitro Hulls = $0.30
    5 1 ounce wads = ).25
    1 hot glue stick = ).10
    Rice = $0.05

Total time invested 5 minutes
    Total cost $0.70

:)

2. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

That's creative!

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

But at the shoots people will think it is loaded.
    Don

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

PLEASE don't do this. It's very dangerous.

And please don't use fired hulls for snap caps. It's way to easy to snap on a live shell.

I personally investigated a case at the Great Lakes Grand some years ago where the shooter put his gun in the back of his pickup with the muzzle forward, and the truck facing the firing line. He then pulled the trigger on a "fired hull" just like he always did. If the pickup cap's window, the truck's rear window and the windshield hadn't contained most of the shot, a dozen shooters standing ten yards in front might have been seriously injured.

5. porky

porky TS Member

The only trouble with those snap caps will be if you get any oil or solvent on them. The hot glue will seperate from the hull and pull out. I've tried it and that was the only problem I could see.

6. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Yeah I understand that if observed from a distance they might be mistaken for a real shell, however in my safe that isn't a problem. Seeing how I have to break down all my guns for travel I don't take them with me, they are just for long term storage for my guns I don't use. I have since colored them hi-vis chartreuse with a permanant marker to. There is no confusing them from the real deal. Unless someone comes out with a chart. hull.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If you MUST put a snap cap in your gun to store it in your safe, you would be wiser to use a "wooley" snap cap designed just for that purpose. You can spray a little oil on the wooly swab, insert it into the chamber, and not have to worry about any rust. The trouble with using a spent plastic hull is that they tend to create a bit of moisture between the plastic and the metal and, over time, may cause some rust in the chamber. A pair of good quality wooley snap caps can be the best protection for your guns chamber while in prolonged storage. I much prefer to store mine without anything in the chamber.. Bad habit to get into.... Just my experience.
    Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Rather than use a snap cap that fits in the chamber, I cut a rectangular block out of a ice hockey puck on a band saw so that it will fit into my receiver and over the firing pins. After shooting when I disassemble the gun I hold the block firmly over the firing pin holes and pull the trigger. The rubber is firm enough to absorb the blow and the firing pins don't damage it. Carry one puck block in the gun case and another in the range bag. Not easily mistaken for a shell.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>
    This block is too short; they're easier to use if they extend forward out of the receiver a little bit.

MK

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

REALLY BAD idea. All to save $15 each on proper snap caps that last a life time.

Drop the hammer on an empty chamber if you must; but ANYTHING that looks like a shell should NEVER be used.

Don Verna

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I agree with the negative thoughts. We should never be putting something resembling a live round in a gun to drop hammers. I repeat an incident that begs this attitude. Prospective buyer of a gun for sale at a shoot handles it, opens it, admires, shoulders and finally finds the seller nearby. He discusses a purchase but asked if it was OK with the seller to test the trigger using a snap cap. The seller says it's OK. The buyer takes what he believes is his snap cap out of his vest pocket and drops it in, closes the gun, and torches off a live round over the heads of spectators in a nearby sit-and-view area.

Almost every break open gun has some sort of mechanism to relieve the hammer springs if you use some common sense. Even if not, all one has to do is remove the barrel for the gun case, clear the lockup lever, and hold a nickel firmly at the firing pin hole then pull the trigger. Some will even let you drop hammers with the barrel removed and don't re-cock the hammers when re-installing the barrel for storage assembled. As a last resort, drop the hammer(s) on the empty chamber; please....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I like Unknown's idea and there's a dozen different ways. But as Don and Bob have said NEVER EVER anything similar to a shell. There's been too many accidents already. Shoot often and enjoy while we can, Bob

12. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I have created similar with a spent shell. What I did was press out the primer and cut the shell to a total length of 3/4" and filled the shell about half full of a rubber epoxy, when that was set I started a roll crimp to hold the expoxy in, and then painted it with a rainbow set of color. With the colors and the shortness of the shell its not mistakable.

I also don't store my guns with the cap in place, I only use it release the firing pin.

John MI

13. cle

cle Member

And that's why I'll have nothing to do with Gold Nitros. At the end of one shooting session I reached in my case for my BRASS snap cap and came back with a Gold Nitro reload. Caught it before it went in the chamber but it really scared me. NEVER AGAIN, I got rid of every Nitro hull I had. They're nice for handicap but I shoot 'em and shuck 'em.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Snap caps are the work of the Devil.

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

An argument can be made that snap caps are alltogether unnecessary with modern weapons. I don't find it necessary to release the triggers after a round of shooting.

Robert

16. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

What it all boils down to is "if your are not smarter than the snap cap don't use one".

17. Peter Sinclare

Peter Sinclare Active Member

If you have to use empty hulls, cut them down to 1/2 the length so you won't confuse.

18. Barry

Barry Member

I keep a 1' X 2" green rubber eraser in my gun cases. After I remove the barrel I put the erase on the breech and pull the trigger(s). The rubber eraser absorbs the energy in the firing pins and then I store the gun away.

All the benefits of a snap cap and easier to use.

Barry

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I hold a penny over the firing pins, plus I never release the pins until after the gun is broke down and ready to put in the case.

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'm with Robert. With modern coil springs I really doubt this is necessary. One day I had a shooter put a snap cap in his gun, close it, point it straight at my guts while looking at the gun and pull the trigger.