1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap Caps for Frequent Dryfire Practice???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Where can I get some good snap caps that will protect the firing pins from lots of dryfire practice?

Thanks.

Easystreet

2. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

look in your empties bag when you quit shooting. Based on a couple of articles I have read, I made my own. Just take one of your empties, pop out the primer, buy some high quality clear silicone, fill up the primer hole and leave some leftover. After a day or so, trim the silicone back with a real sharp knife, and clean any left over silicone off the back of the shell. Now cut the shell down to a small size so it is immediately recognizable in your hand and maybe put some markings on the brass for the same reason. Dry fire away.

Dennis

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

I have never understood dry firing a shotgun. It proves nothing.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

So how long do these silicone "primers" last?

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Someone on here sells nice brass ones with a cotton swab that you can add rust preservative to

Forget who but I purchased a couple of different gauges and was very happy

Gene

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"I have never understood dry firing a shotgun. It proves nothing."

If you do it as part of an off-season training regimen with Terry Jordan's wall chart, it can be quite beneficial.

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I really need to practice getting a picture posted.

Untill then... chuck up a .223 rem. empty (M16 round), and drill out a bunch of 1/8" thick neoprene gasket material "plugs". (The empty should be deprimed so you can push out the plugs with a coat hanger). Deprime a bunch of 12ga. hulls, then squeze a little silicone caulk in the primer hole. Add the "plug". To get the perfect height on the "plug", cut a 1/2" hole in a paper plate, place it on an uncut plate, and "seat" the plug by pushing it over the hole. The neoprene plug will sit about 1/32" high and make a very long lasting SNAP CAP.

If you take a pencil and push on a "CAP" made of just silicone gel, you will find it does not offer very much resistance. You can make 50 of the one's described above in less than 15 minutes, and they will last a looong time.

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Motordoc used to sell the brass snap caps with the mops. But he has since stopped making them. I make them if you are interested. Josh

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I use the Permaseal product in the primer hole and it works fantastic. I'll get a pic up later of the product and the resulting snap cap. I make my snapcaps out of Win AA hulls, cut back about 3/4 inch and they are automatically recognizeable because I only shoot STS and Feds. I do exactly as Dennis does in his post above. Tehy last a long time. Been working on the same 25 for 2 years.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

11. Toddy

Toddy Member

Oletymer,

On most guns if you dry fire and the firing pin has nothing to hit on then the shoulders of the firing pin hit the opening hole and that is where the firing pin gets broken....it may not happen in quite a few dry fires but it will happen.

I used to dry fire my Beretta MarkII twice after I put the gun together to make sure it was working before going out to shoot and within 2 years I went to shoot a round of registered targets and the gun wouldn't fire except on every other shot and when inspecting the gun found out that it had a busted firing pin and it was an old fracture at the shoulder of firing pin that broke loose because of dry firing., why every other shot we don't know....but we do know for sure after seeing the firing pin that it was broken due to dry firing...

I have purchased around 15 pr of brass snapcaps as I believe in them enough to give them to my friends to save their firing pins and good maintenance of their guns.

Reg. Todd, East Sooke, BC

The bird is in the air at 6 AM tomorrow for 2009 Hawaii State Shoot...wish me luck....

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

good luck Todd,,,,and let me know how getting you gun in and out was,Bill

13. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Unless you plan on opening and closing the gun every time you take a 'practice' shot (which gets old really fast), you can just use a spent shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long will a snap cap made of silicone last

snap caps for practice trap