1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap cap question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I'm not real comfortable leaving snap caps in my gun if it's not going to be shot for a while. I guess I'd rather leave the barrel inside lightly oiled and free from anything that could trap moisture or be in contact with the chamber walls for a long time. Am I being ridiculously over concerned? I know a lot of people do it but thought I'd ask anyway. Mike.

2. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I use brass wooly mop snap caps in my break open shotguns.
    The "all metal" snap caps work fine in my semi-automatics.

Relieving the hammer spring tension is my main reason for using.

Never had any issues .... I clean/oil well if it is raining when I shoot!

3. pgaphillip

pgaphillip Member

If you break down the gun and put it in a case. Is there still pressure on the hammer springs and if so is there a way to relieve it? I am new to o/u's. thank you.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Buy a hockey puck (less than a dollar, may be tough to find south of I-70) and cut a block out of it as square as the puck is thick and about 2 inches long... the square end sits over the chamber surface of the receiver and the length gets it out to where you can comfortably hold it in place with your finger or hand.

After the barrel is removed, hold the block firmly in place and pull the trigger. The firing pin force is absorbed by the hard rubber and the block stores easily in the gun case. Does not work well on autoloaders or pumps.

Keller

5. pgaphillip

pgaphillip Member

I play hockey so I have a few pucks laying around. Great idea. Thanks

6. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

I have had troubles with the brass wooly snap caps. with them in O/Us with the rims slipping under the extractors and having to pry them over with a screw driver over the extractor, have had this problem with several O/Us even traded off a 101 that I thought was going to be to expensive to fix. I talked to the manufacturer at the NRA show last spring, he told me that being under size was impossible due to his manufactering process. so I have been throwing them away and thought that there must be another way.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use the wooly-snap caps to prevent flash rust in my chambers

Jay

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I tried the wooly snap caps, but didn't like the fact that the left wooly residue in the action. I switched to the Zoom brad all metal. Light oiling has prevented any rust problems.

With my Brownings, you can put in snap caps and fire both barrels releasing the pressure on the springs. Then remove the forend and disassemble and you can store in a break-down case safely. Martinpicker

9. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

On a breakopen shotgun after it's broken down , press a copper penny over the firing pin hole and pull the trigger. Works good.

10. Unknown1

If you intend to use a COPPER penny, it needs to be a pre-1982 coin. Everything after 1982 is copper-(2.5%) plated zinc (97.5%)

Keller

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Modern springs don't require decompression to maintain their strength. Clean the gun and put it away in whatever manner suits you. Unless I was going to store a gun for a very long period of time I'd not worry about it.

Robert

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nudehunter: Just file down your snap caps on one third of the rim and it should be easy to turn around when necessary.

13. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Modern springs don't require decompression to maintain their strength."</I></blockquote>Not if they're made of good chrome-silicon spring steel. But unless you know what the springs in your gun are made of it costs virtually nothing to take one simple step to prolong their life.

Keller

14. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

Insert snap cap in chamber, close gun, pull trigger, remove forend. open gun, springs will not cock without forend assembly in place, remove snap cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do snap caps cause barrel rust

snap caps cause rusting