1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

snap cap for rifle?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SPACE GUN, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I am a shotgun guy and would never leave a shotgun with it's hammer cocked when in storage! But what about a rifle? I just purchased a nice remington nylon 66 to start my 10 year old grandson shooting. After a good cleaning I need help in how to store it. The fellow I bought it from had it in a gun cabinet for probably 20 years with the hammer cocked, do you think I should have the hammer spring replaced? Thanks for any help. Should I and How? relieve the tension on the spring?

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Clean up and oil a fired case and snap the hammer on that. Leave a note on it so the next operator doesn't give you some static. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why not leave the rifle stored action open hammer cocked? You won't hurt a thing and you will be demonstrating the safe way of storing the firearm.

I don't know why people think these gun springs are so fragile or need to be pampered. If they were I would have a whole safe full of inoperable guns. But guess what - never had a problem and I have a few guns that are over 100 years old and have had their hammer springs in compression the majority of the time.

4. TC

TC TS Member

Don't ever "snap" a 22 on an empty chamber. You will damage the firing pin and or the chamber rim!!! Dad would always leave the last case in the chamber on pumps and bolt actions. You can buy 22 rimfire snap caps also.

5. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

So far I think I agree with sarge , except the dry firing part. I also have an older mosel 1903 that I want to relieve the spring pressure on. I know the guns are rim fires BUT would running a plastic or wooden dowel down the bore, then pulling the trigger catch the firing pin?

6. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

A zoom( Lyman) Makes all sorts of Blue Inert ammo.
    Bob Gibson
    Charlotte, NC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.