1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snake Season is Here

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Just removed a 5ft.+ Golpher snake from a neighbor's dog run last night. For those living in CA., just a reminder that it is snake season with the warm weather and going to shooting ranges or living in the foothills exposes us to rattlesnakes, etc. For your dogs, there is a rattelsnake antt-venom vaccine that is pretty successful and fairly priced... now if there was a vaccine for humans. Fred

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Don't know who you are, you didn't sign your name, but you are not loaded real tight... Check your crimps so your shot shot doesn't dribble out. A lot of hate in your message. Really un-necessary. Fred

3. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I'm glad to learn that rattlesnakes live only in Kalifornia. I guess those 2 snakes with rattlers on their tails who bit my dog in the nose aren't rattlesnakes. Fortunately, only Kal has warm weather also. There is a wealth of info on the internet. LOL

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

and here I thought all the snakes were in Washington D.C.!

Curt

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Fred, Which ones do you have in your area? I know some of the western rattlesnakes are quite venomous.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

There are three types here in Santa Clarita (LA County high desert) the western diamond back, the sidewinder and the Mojave Green. I capitalized the last to make a point. The first two are bad news, the last is real killer. MGs have a double toxin, both necrifying and neuro-toxin. A hit from one of those will do you in unless medical treatment begins right away. We had a Mojave Green in our yard last year. I live on the outskirts of town in the foot hills. Needless to say, I removed the snake using a long handled hoe. Of course, I removed its head first and buried that bou-coup deep in the side yard.

7. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Just found out that $10,000 of the stimulus money is going to the nearby university to study the habits of rattlesnakes in the mountains, such things as why they rattle to warn sometimes and not at others. Perhaps the snakes will do some research of their own, like on the calves of legs, or such. Mark Twain had it right when he said "The problem with the world today is that lightning is not properly distributed".

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Omgb got it right. The one thing to remeber about rattlesnakes is that they are territorial and if removed will return. They are so damaging to pets and humans that killing them is #1 priority. Don't fool with them. I have a 5 foot long snake stick made out of aluminum conduit, bike cable, a handle, and a hook. The cable cuts their heads off at a safe distance [better than a dual with a shovel]. Shooting them is OK unless you hit a sprinkler or water line. By cutting their heads off you get a beautiful body for a snake hat band... I have several on cowboy hats. DON'T BE DUMB AND PICK THEM UP TO SHOW OFF.. THEY WILL STRIKE. RESPECT THEM -- KILL THEM. Fred

9. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/johnjohn91387/?action=view&current=img_0421.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/johnjohn91387/?action=view&current=img_0422.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/johnjohn91387/?action=view&current=img_0423.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/johnjohn91387/?action=view&current=img_0424.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/johnjohn91387/?action=view&current=img_0425.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/johnjohn91387/?action=view&current=img_0420.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Fred,

You mean like this 4' specimen I found <i>last night</i> and again this morning on my patio and in my backyard? Best ID we can come up with is a Pacific Gopher snake.

Taking the trash out last night gave me a shock and a half, as this monster was right next to the trash can, and I thought it was one of my daughter's jump ropes; until it moved, that is!

We picked him up and deposited him, intact, over the fence, in the green belt behind the house.

John

10. Toddy

Toddy Member

I know in Canada that all poisonous snakes called vipers, with the exception of Coral snakes have cats eyes and instead of a round nose, with the exception of Coral snakes have a broad head curving down to a pointed snout.

We have Diamond back rattlers along with Timber rattlers and water Moccasins and also coral snakes, venomous and non venomous and the only way to tell them apart is "black on red, safe at the head, black on yellow, dangerous fellow....

Hope to see you all in Hawaii in Feb. at the 2010 P.I.T.A. State shoot at the Big Island Trap Club @ Hilo

Reg. Todd, East Sooke, BC

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Todd- I believe you have the range of the Eastern Coral Snake extended a bit too far North. They are restricted to along the Southern Coast from Mississippi to South Carolina. The Western Coral Snake prefers to live in Northern Mexico but a few will illegally cross the boarder into Southern Arizona. These are secretive burrowing snakes with small rounded heads.

The Water Moccasin also does not range much further North than Arkansas. It takes some practice to distinguish Water Moccasins from the large group of common water snakes. The best way to learn how to distinguish Water Moccasins form Common Water Snakes (Natrix) is to gig frogs at night in a Southern swamp.

Pat Ireland

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking gopher snake. He's doing his best to keep your rat and mouse problem in check. Don't have a rat and mouse problem you say? Well, see how good a job he's doing.

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Does Brenda miss her socks? Do the neighbors complain that something died last night? Fred

14. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Encouraging gopher snakes, bullsnakes, blacksnakes, king snakes and any other decent-sized rodent eaters is the best way to keep rattlesnakes away. They all eat the same prey, and rattlesnakes will not stay where there is no food, regardless of whether the other snakes there are snake eaters or not.

Tony

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Tony: Come and explain that to my wife... for her a snake is a snake is a snake. One time she ran up stairs, closed the bedroom door and stuffed a towel under it. One time we had a King Snake in the family room... same thing, except she threatended to call the real estate agent. Oh well... I just catch the harmless ones and put outside the fence line [lined with 1/4 inch harware mesh] and they still come looking for water and a cool place to rest.

JohnJohn: my snake was bigger than yours.... na, na, na. Fred

16. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

We had a sizable Black Snake in the living room once, and a big Bull Snake in the kitchen another time. The wife took it well for a city girl, but of course it was my job to evict them.

We also had a small juvenile Timber Rattler once on the carport. I moved him (in a bucket!) unharmed into the woods but wouldn't be surprised if a Black or Bull Snake got him.

I welcome having constrictor snakes around the house. Copperheads, no.

17. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Yup, snake season is in full force here in the Sacramento area. I bike ride and hike on our American River trail from Folsom down to Sac and up in the Auburn area 2-3 times a week and generally see 1-2 every month. Last week I saw a big and beautiful California King snake on the trail and yelled to people that this was a "good" snake that eats rattlers. My sis was struck by a Western Diamond Back (did not rattle) about 10 years ago on the leg..after day two, he leg looked like a over ripe banana. I'm getting my Border Collie "snake proofed" next month. What they do is to get a rattler and seal it's mouth shut with a rubber band, the let the dog go to "investigate" the snake...when the rattler buzzes (and they have a very distinctive and loud buzz), they hit the electric collar on the dog (usually on high). That process makes dogs associate the rattle/buzz with something painful. Vets say it's a very good technique. Just wish it was legal to carry a 12ga. on a bike..hummm, scabbard?

Anti-venom: most vets DO NOT have it as it's in very short supply..scary.

18. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

NAW MAN SNAKE SEASON STARTED IN NOVEMBER.

19. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

never met a rattlesnake I did not like.I eat them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reminder about snake season