1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smooth Gold Medals

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by straightshooter1, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I bought several flats of Federal GMs and, in one of the flats were several boxes of the older, smooth GMs. I'd heard that they, sometimes, separated-the plastic from the brass-and the plastic got stuck in the barrel. Real bad news if one doesn't notice.

I reloaded a few, along with the ribbed, newer ones and, while shooting practice, one of these hulls detached itself from the brass and blew right out the muzzle. The shot broke the target and I didn't notice anything till I opened the gun and found only the brass part.

My question to you:

Would you throw away the rest of the smooth GMs (I have about a jillion once-fired hulls so I won't be running short)?

Or, would you just think it was one in a million and load the other, smooth ones? (And keep an eye on the empties when ejecting the spent shell, of course).

Bob

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Been there - done that. I wouldnt re-load them - just not worth the worry. I would shoot the new ones in practice - not in ATA registered ... as the next time it happens ... the plastic will jam in the barrel and you will be down for a while until you get it removed.

3. straightshooter1

I should have been more clear Blueskyshooter, I have already shot them once and these are once-fired hulls I am considering reloading. But, I'm leaning towards dumping them so as to, as you say, as they are not worth the worry.

Bob

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Never had a new one or once fired reload come apart but the second loading produced several.
    If the tube sticks to your barrel wall it can be quite time consuming to get out.

Dump em.

5. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I loaded them once, twice in the same night had one come apart and stick in the barrel. A real pain, I threw 2000 In the garbage, the ones I had reload I used the unloader tool on them.
    Not worth it!

Bill

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob, Stop leaning and just dump them. Not worth the worry. break em all Jeff

7. straightshooter1

You know, I think you guys are right. Why take a chance. Heading for the garbage with them now.

Thank you.

Bob

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have never had the first reload fail or the factory load fail.

You guys are having these hulls blow out on the first reload? Jeff

9. straightshooter1

It was my first experience reloading the smooth ones. And, yes, it was the first reload. I was real happy the plastic disappeared. The brass ended up under the extractor on my MX-6 but I had a pair of needle-nosed pliers in my vehicle and just bent the brass so I could pull it out.

Bob

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We load them 1-1/4 for the games. After 3-4 reloads it is quite common for the tube to go out the barrel. Never saw one stick inside though.
    Clyde

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have reloaded many thousands of the Federal Gold Medal "smoothies" without a problem. Many of these hulls were loaded at least 5 times and some probably twice that.

My understanding of this issue is that if your chamber is over-sized, even by a small amount, then the "smoothies" may split or separate. I shoot an 870 TC and its chamber is tight. I have to re-size most hulls that are first shot in another gun.

If your are experiencing problems with a Federal 'smoothie" in your gun, I would not shoot them.

Ed Ward

12. dls guide

dls guide Member

I too have had the smooth Gold Medal hulls come apart on the first loading and I am pretty sure my gun doesn't have a sloppy chamber. I have loaded many thousand ribbed hulls and very few smooth hulls, but pay attention to the smooth ones. You will know when they come apart, as only the brass rim will eject from the chamber. Be carefull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.