1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smooth crimp starter for Spolar?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I have a Spolar and was thinking of reloading some Federal Papers that I have. I contacted Spolar but didn't get a response. Does anyone know if there is a smooth or a 6-point crimp starter for the Spolar?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

PW's will work!!

3. DanLee

DanLee Member

What's more, the smooth crimp starter will work on folded crimps, so no need to change it when you go back to plastic.

Dan

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Alvades:

I am about to do the same thing - switch from loading STS to Fed Papers. I called Spolar Friday, left a voice mail and got a return call about 1 hour later. They are sending me a smooth crimp starter and then offered to walk me through the necessary adjustment(s) once I have it and am at the machine.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

That is all I use - paper or plastic. I believe Hornaday will work.

Don

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Depending on the age of the Spolar either a Hornady or Modified MEC starter will work. My #625 uses the current plastic snap on type MEC type crimp starter with a small turned portion on the outside to clear the die retaining ring. Instead of being snapped on to a ball there is a small allen screw up through the center.

--- Chip King ---

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Don't bother. Paper will crimp fine with an 8 petal crimp. Fred

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Spolar responsiveness update.

Recall I said I called Spolar last Friday and they called me back about 1 hour after I left my voice mail.

Whether I need the new crimp starter or not, it arrived today, Monday, in my mailbox. This tells me they mailed it Friday, after I talked to them.

In my experience, this type of service is the rule with Spolar.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

OK. Tonight I loaded some Fed Gold Medal paper shells with the 8-pt STS/AA pre crimp starter. Yes, they went through OK, but just did not look right. So, I installed the smooth crimp starter Spolar sent me. Big difference - HUGE. The original Federal 6 point crimp is in place, the reloads look almost new - much better than they look with the 8 point crimp.

Spolar recommended a 1 oz load with the Federal papers. I am using 18.5 gr of Promo, a 1 oz Win wad (or comparable), Win primer, and 1 oz of 7 1/2 shot. Should be @ 1200-1250 fps.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS Turns out I already had a smooth crimp starter I forgot about, so the new one Spolar sent me will go back.

10. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Avaldes,
    How did you try to contact us? Once in a while I get behind a day in responding to e-mails but our telephone messages are always returned and the out going message on our office phone even includes my cell phone number. I sent two smooth starter crimps out to other customers this week already.
    Dicksie Spolar
    800-227-9667

11. Avaldes

Thanks for your customer service Dicksie! She left a voicemail for me to call her and my smooth crimp starter and some other spare parts are on the way! I hope my first post didn't come off as negative, I was asking a question that had yet to be answered. Thanks to all.

-Aaron

12. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

My recent cust service experiences have been more than what I ever would of expected. Robert at Spolar is truly amazing at providing great info and giving a new reloader the confidence to get started.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I had a new Spolar in here last summer. It was mine that I set it up to only load only Federal papers.

Because I'm a P/W distributor, I install their smooth crimp head on my Spolar. It worked great.

Then one afternoon, I started to load some old style once-fired AA hulls forgetting all about the smooth crimp head. Damned if I could tell the difference, so I simply left the smooth head on.

Now, I use a smooth crimp head on the 800 Plus and Patriot machines here at the shop.

WW

14. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Here's a picture of 2 Federal Papers I loaded yesterday on my Spolar. One (on the right) was done with the 8 star crimp starter used for the plastic STS hulls. The other (left) was done with Spolar's smooth crimp starter. Both appear useable, but the one on the left, which I prefer, looks more like the factory shell.

sseitz007_2008_010424.jpg

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

15. Avaldes

Gene, how did those shells shoot for you? I am curious about loading tapered wads in the smooth hulls.

16. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Haven't shot any of them yet and won't for a month or so - I am near Chicago. Although it's been a fair winter, I am not a cool weather shooter.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

17. Avaldes

Understood. If you remember, please PM me when you do get a chance to shoot them. Thanks.

-Aaron

18. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Aaron:
    Although I'll try to remember to PM you, since my memory is not as good as I'd like, how about you tickle your calendar to PM me April 1.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

19. Avaldes

Will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

smooth crimp starter

spolar crimp starter