1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking inside the club house

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I received a Pm from a shooter who wanted my opinion on how I felt about some gun clubs not allowing people to smoke inside their club house?

In 1970, when I first started shooting, every club in my area allowed shooters to smoke inside their club house. I also mentioned at the same time that I worked at the local bank, employees were allowed to smoke in their office or at their desk.

In fact, if we had a good customer, we would pull out a bottle of Scotch or Brandy and offer them a drink too. Things have certainly changed over the years. Personally, I feel for the better, as fellow employees who never smoked ended up getting Cancer in some instances.

Although, I do miss smoking a cigar or a pipe now and than, I can not denie all the data on smoking. The person who wrote to me, felt that his rights were being taken away. All I can say is that when you are a guest in someone's home or business, they set the rules.

The club that I frequent nowadays allows smoking in the club house as the owner feels this is a gun club and it should be allowed. To this day, I can not remember anyone smoking inside that same club house in years, even though it's allowed.

So my answer is, I think it's a good thing that people not be allowed to smoke inside a club house. Are smokers rights being taken away, probably, but we have shooters bring small children to the club, and maybe it's time that we show a good example.

What do you think?
    Steve Balistreri

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We eliminated smoking inside the club three years ago. Two heavy smokers bitched, nobody else. Attendance has been up ever since. Our club is 95% good ole boys 65-80 years old who do not like anything changed period but it worked. My first theory was lets eliminate smoking on days when we serve food or women and kids are present. We did that and nobody complained so we eliminated it all together

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for those guys because it's an addiction, they are the present tax "whipping boy", and in 2014 their insurance premiums are supposed to increase $5100 annually (courtesy of Obamacare - guess we should have read it).

I also gives me a mournful feeling when I see them standing out in the cold puffin' up, BUT, that stuff STINKS!. I'd rather have to listen to a bunch of drunks in the clubhouse than have to smell that smoke.

Bob Falfa

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Its the law in NY NO Smoking. I believe its just when a Club is open to the public. Any other time its a private club and its allowed it the Directors says it OK.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

They tried a no smoking in the clubhouse at one place I shot at. About 50 shooters showed up for the Sat night games and were all outside when I got there. "What's going on" I asked. When told that we could no longer smoke in the clubhouse all the guys left except 2 or 3. The club manager got himself dismissed and the smoking resumed.

My question is----Is it fair to violate one persons "right" to smoke in order to cater to those that dont ???

My fishing club used to meet at a loval resturant intil they decided to slap a ban on smoking. We dont go there anymore---even to take our families out to eat.

I realize that there are people that do not smoke and some even have an allergy to smoke and I try to stay well away from those folks, just to be accomadating, but some carry it a bit too far.

If you do not allow smoking in your home--that is your decision and I would honor it. If I do allow it in mine you may either honor my decision or dont come over.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It is a matter of whose rights your want to violate. The smokers or the non-smokers.

Do I not have the right to breathe clean non-poluted air???

Ex- 2 pack a day smoker. I kicked the addiction to only breath your smoke - I think not.

Don

7. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Yep, very old and very worn out.......

Cheers,

George

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Smokers are now in the minority. Why should the majority put up with second hand smoke and it's possible ill effects? Why not simply pollute the outside air with cigarette smoke and leave the rest alone. Are smokers willing to pay a surcharge for indoor smoking that requires expensive smokeaters and the required maintainance. How 'bout an extra fee for replacing ceiling tiles that turn brown from smoke and require additional lighting?

I have no objection to smokers who feel the need to enjoy a habit that destroys years of their lives. Just don't do it in an enclosed room with me in it. It's really pathetic when addicts (booze or smoke) refuse to shoot or enjoy a meal where neither is allowed. I'd say their priorities are thoroughly screwed up!!

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Here in Florida there was no choice. State law mandated No Smoking indoors.

T

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When most area gun clubs restricted shooters from smoking inside their clubs it upset me. Over the years, I have changed my opinion on this subject. Most guys and gals don't complain that they walk outside to smoke as they are now use to the idea.

I believe that you are a guest in someone's business, and they set the rules. My best friend use to smoke 3 to 4 packs a day, until he got a collasped lung. He quit cold turkey as he was smoking since the age of ten.

He use to bycot resturants that years ago did not allow smoking until he got ill. Now he looks to eat at non smoking establishments. I have no idea if not allowing people to smoke is legal, or if owners of clubs are deneying shooters who smoke their rights?
    Steve

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Use to smoke. Did not realize the smell until after I stopped. I can't stand the smell.

Also, when I smoked I use to get two or three colds a year and had those yellow stained fingers. No longer!

Was coughing up junk out of my lungs for two years after I stopped.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have some very nice mounts, deer, elk, caribou. If there was smoking in our club the donaters would take them back home.

HM

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Just common curtesy - smoke outside.

I use to smoke cigarettes and nowdays its an occaisional cigar. But even back in the day I didn't smoke indoors (even in my own house) and I wouldn't dream of taking a lit cigar into the club house. Its just plain rude. This isn't a modern day thing either.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

We serve food to the public at several events a year at my primary club. So...absoluetly no smoking indoors per MI state law. Bill

15. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

If he is dumb enough to smoke, He hasn't got the brains to come in out of the cold anyway.

16. wk4036

wk4036 Member

My wife and I went to our monthly meeting at the West Michigan club we are members of and the smokers now feel they can smoke in the next room because it's to cold to go outside, when we got home we both smelled like we had been in a smoke filled bar and our clothes went in the washer.

17. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Full disclosure,I quit smoking 11 years ago.Having said that people are way overboard on their anti smoking stances.Yeah its bad for you but jeeeez.

Darr

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have never been in any place at any time where smokers forced non-smokers to go outside or leave. Should not the courtesy be extended to everyone ? I see no difference in asking folks that do not smoke to step outside if they do not like the aroma, and asking(telling) those that do smoke to do so. Exactly WHY should smokers comply with YOUR WISHES when it is certain you will not comply with ours ?

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shadow, what gives you the right to pollute everyone around you with your stinky smoke? I'm sure if I sat next to you and dropped a few stinky gas bombs you'd chase me outside too!!

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just stupid to think that smokers should be able to force their smoke on non smokers

Non smokers should not be forced to accept the abusive nature of smokers wishing to smoke in any building, nor should the workers.

Plain and simple- dont allow it

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.