1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking in the movies is now R-RATED.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Just saw on the Today Show the people who give the movies its ratings are going to make a movie R-RATED if it has someone smoking.????????? What is this BS? If it had sex, foul language and bloody seens then OK its R-Rated but smoking???? When will this crap stop?

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

C'mon, Bwana...be objective.

If the smoker is alone in the scene, the scene depicts attempted suicide, or atleast illogical self-mutilation.

If the smoker is in a crowd among non-smokers, you have at least aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon if not attempted murder.

I think that deserves an "R".

Mike

3. BP348

BP348 Active Member

From what I understand Smoking dosn't make a movie "R" rated.

It's only one factor in the process of deciding on a rating for a movie.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Mac V ...get a real life!

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Check out the movie "This Film is Not Yet Rated". The MPAA is a joke.

Michael

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Mac V ...get a real life!"</blockquote>

Have another cigarette...you get cranky if you don't get your fix!

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

Pay attention!!!! The same type of propaganda being used against smokers will be the same type used against the 2nd amendment and private ownership of guns!!! An attempt to make ownership "socially un-acceptable"!!! And in the end people will happily vote their own freedoms away!!!

As an arizona government official publicly commented on Arizonas new smoking law,,,,,"the best form of enforcement we have is non-smokers who also frequent the same establishments that smokers do",,in other words,,,Americans turning others in over the slightest infractions,,,just like good little nazi's should!!!

MacV:

Substitute the word "smoker" and replace it with "gun owner",,,and you have a brand-new anti-gun commercial!!! Perhaps you shall receive what you ask for....

AKA Grammie.........

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

Mac V, Your logic is truely astounding. Have you thought of having those terrible smokers prosecuted with your logic. And I'm not a smoker, so don't BS me.

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Smoking is one of the worst habits a normal person can have. If it is possible to discourage that habit I applaud the effort. AIDS will get you but sex will not, but smoking is not like that. If you smoke you are going to die prematurely. Period. If there is something we can do to discourage young folks from smoking, I say lets go..

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    grammie, quote:"Pay attention!!!! The same type of propaganda being used against smokers will be the same type used against the 2nd amendment and private ownership of guns!!! An attempt to make ownership "socially un-acceptable"!!! And in the end people will happily vote their own freedoms away!!!"<br>
    <br>
    Uh, while correct, you must not have been paying attention, or you'd know that the anti-smoking crowd got most of their ideas from the anti-gun crowd.

11. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Stop it right now. Smoking has prematurely ended the lives of many, many, good people. If you ever had to go through the cancer death of someone you loved, you would knock off the crap. I am a life member of the NRA, I donate extra money whenever I can. Smoking is not coupled to gun rights and only idiots like grammie would say it is. People need to stop smoking and we should try to keep youngsters from starting. This is not about guns, it is about making intelligent choices.

12. Brian in Oregon

HaveGunWillTravel, get off your damn high horse. You make it seem as if you have the market cornered on loved ones and friends who have died from smoking related illnesses.<br>
    <br>
    It's ironic that you say, "This is not about guns, it is about making intelligent choices."<br>
    <br>
    Translation: "You cannot make a personal choice. You can only make a government approved choice."<br>
    <br>
    And don't think for one second that this is not indirectly related to the attacks on Second Amendment rights. The methods of the opposition are extremely similar. Or do you not recall the CDC calling firearms a "disease" and the innoculation was "more gun control" and even gun bans? HAve you forgotten the proposed draconian taxes on ammunition that are similar to the taxes on tobacco products? And like guns, tobacco is a legal product?<br>
    <br>
    I remember when the battle was over smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants. Smokers and others were told that it would never lead to total bans, that it would absolutely never lead to outdoor bans. Yet both have and are happening. In fact, Portland just banned smoking in parks and other places are banning smioking anywhere the smoke can travel by the wind and be smelled. Other states have called for banning smoking in homes and/or vehicles if children are present. IN HOMES! IN YOUR OWN PRIVATE HOME! So much for a man's home being his castle.<br>
    <br>
    I do not like smoking. It's disgusting. It's hazardous at best, and deadly at worst. (Gee, the anti's say firearms are too dangerous for society.) But I like the government telling us what to do even less.<br.
    <br>

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Ditto what Brian in Oregon said!

HaveGunWillTravel, what do we ban next? Cheeseburgers? Wonder how many people have died from heart attacks because they ate too many?

14. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Brian, you are the idiot who thinks a 9 year old girl can fend off mutt and jeff with her dads mossberg. You are being just as stupid now. Smoking will kill the user. Period. Do not equate the second ammendment with tobacco. As far as my high horse goes, I hope you never have to hold a dying friend or relative in your arms. If you cannot relate to this, you are clearly a shallow SOB. Smoking and guns are not related.

15. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I smoked for 20 years and quit 15 years ago. I would rather be around a smoker then a drinker or a chewer. All will kill you. I have seen pic's of people who have chewed and its sickning. Swollen jaws and necks full of cancer. Drinking, that kills in always and all matters. Mean drunks, DUI's.

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Maybe because of the R rating is because most of the time in the movies after they have SEX or even in real life at least 1 will light up a cigarette so maybe they figure the smoking goes with the sex so can't let the smoking slip thru if the sex gets a R rating.

Fog

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It's the only way we get any tax money at all out of a bunch of people here in Oregon. Without the Tobbacco tax this state would be screwed. Well, We are screwed anyway but we would be even more screwed. I wish they would legalize all the drugs that are illegal now and tax the shit out of them. THIS IS FACT... ALCOHOL AND TOBBACCO KILL MORE PEOPLE THEN ILLEGAL DRUGS DO. Give me one valid reason that tobbacco should be any more legal then any other drug? We pay millions of dollars to keep smokers alive through government and state assissted health care. Most things are 100% preventable as long as the person doesn't smoke. I say if you are rich and can care for yourself and pay for your own health care then smoke them if you got them but it's just another social diease that American tax payers have to pay for that we get nothing out of which goes to people who did it too themselves. The Tobbacco tax should be 6.00 per pack and go 100% to care for smoking relate illness. Smokers crack me up. The samwe stupid logic I used hear from people who would do something wrong for 20 years and somhow the length of time you do something wrong was directly related to it being right. Guess what? You been doing it wrong for 20 years. Smoking is a right? Where? What part of the grand document gave anybody the right to smoke? The truth of the matter is most smokers are afraid of going through withdrawl. If we could wave a magic wand and they would never have another craving again damn few people wouldn't have that wand waived over them. I work in a Hospital and deal soley with the mentally ill. I would say that 99% of the sickest people smoke. So.... You don't have to be crazy to smoke but... Most crazy people smoke. Jeff

18. Brian in Oregon

HaveGunWillTravel, quote: "Brian, you are the idiot who thinks a 9 year old girl can fend off mutt and jeff with her dads mossberg. You are being just as stupid now. Smoking will kill the user. Period. Do not equate the second ammendment with tobacco. As far as my high horse goes, I hope you never have to hold a dying friend or relative in your arms. If you cannot relate to this, you are clearly a shallow SOB. Smoking and guns are not related."<br>
    <br>
    Oh this REALLY takes the cake. Sad.<br>
    <br>
    First, the story was an 11 year old girl, not 9.<br>
    <br>
    Second, the story is an internet hoax. It never happened.<br>
    <br>
    Third, I was in the cheering section for her, until the story could not be substantiated.<br>
    <br>
    Fourth, I have had too many friends, relatives and neighbors die from smoking related illnesses. I told you that you did not hold a monopoly on this.<br>
    <br>
    Fifth, I can equate with people dying from smoking related illnesses. It's sad, and it's a preventable tragedy. Get off your damn high horse that you are the only one who has empathy for those who have died from smoking related illnesses.<br>
    <br>
    Sixth, don't tell me not to equate the war on tobacco with the war on guns. I'll do as I please. And the tactics are eerily similar.<br>
    <br>
    Seventh, I think smoking is digusting, stupid and a vile habit that is harmful at least and in a worst case scenario can kill you. Perhaps you failed to comprehend this part.<br>
    <br>
    Eighth, I do not care for people foisting their beliefs on other people and using the government as their bully boys to enforce their wishes and prejudices. <br>
    <br>
    Ninth, and going right along with Number Eight, we've seen the same train of thought being applied to firearms, and McDonald's cheeseburgers and fries.<br>
    <br>
    Tenth, what part of Freedom of Choice do you not understand? I don't particularly care to have to stand up for the disgusting smoking habit, but I'd rather do that than stand up for disgusting nanny states.

19. Brian in Oregon

Well Jeff, there are various viewpoints to the tax issue.<br>
    <br>
    All that money the State of Oregon is getting from the various tabacco tax settlements that's supposed to be used for health care costs caused by smokers? None of it is being used to offset those costs. The money simply went into a general operating fund, and now there's panic because smoking is down and this windfall is thus down. If the money was truly being used to offset the health care costs of smoking, the state would not be panicking as the revenue went down - they'd rejoice.<br>
    <br>
    I used to be absolutely anti-drug. I changed my mind after seeing how totally inept the war on drugs is being run. Meth is at an all time epidemic, yet who winds up getting locked up and all their possessions seized? Potheads. And not dealers, but the little guy toking in his basement. Because he has property and this is lucrative to the police, who confiscate it. Meth addicts have nothing, so they get ignored. Not to mention this has fostered a paramilitary attitude with many police departments. Fatigues are now the uniform de jour, every cop wants to be a Swatzi, innocent people are killed when bad intel leads to raids on the homes of innocents, etc. It's upside down. Shut it down, start it over and do it right or just simply shut it down. It can't go on the way it is. Thank goodness we in Oregon passed the law banning forfeiture without a conviction.<br>
    <br>
    As far as a tobacco tax for smoking illnesses go, does anyone recall the proposed tax for the "health costs related to firearms"? Draconian taxes on amunition. One proposal would have put a 10 cent tax on every cartridge. Another was an across the board 25% tax. Certain kinds of ammunition, mainly handgun, have had tax proposals as high as 1000% (no typo). All using the same exact reasoning as the tobacco tax. This was called the "true cost of guns to society".

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many people do not like smoking and they believe everyone else should have the same views as they have. Many people do not like guns and they believe that everyone should have the same objections as they have.

HaveGunWillTravel based part of his objections to tobacco based on the death of a family member. Sarah Brady bases her objections to guns based on the injury to her husband

If a large group of individuals do not like something others do and they are not empowered to directly change the other group, they seem to always seek government help in obtaining the desired change. It is always easier to seek change in the unwanted habits of others than to change our personal habits that offend others.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

smokng does not require an r rating