1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking at the club...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by APrice, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APrice

APrice Active Member

A smoking ban is being proposed at one of the clubs of which I am a member and officer. Just looking for some input on how other gun clubs handle the problem before it comes to a vote. I am a non-smoker, but can live with either outcome. We already have no-smoking in the club house, which is working fine. Current problems with outside smoking are: The addicts gather on the front porch of the club house en masse, so everyone entering and exiting through the front door have to traverse a thick cloud of cigarette and cigar smoke. A handful are so addicted and inconsiderate that they try to smoke while shooting, even keeping a lit cigarette behind their ear. Delaying squads by trying to get in a smoke between rounds. Picnic tables, benches and anywhere else you can lay down a lit cigarette now have unsightly burn marks on the edges and are getting worse. The grounds are awash in cigarette butts, but none of the substance abusers are on the list of volunteers for clean-up.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

That is the only way to do things nowadays, ban everythng that someone doesn't agree with. Won't be long before someone will try to ban passing gas on the trapline.

The smokers should at least clean up after themselves and be more considerate of others.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Sounds like the club should invest in a few ashtrays.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

While you're at it ban shooting at the club. Shooting produces noise. Noise leads to hypertension - which causes heart disease. And let's don't even talk about the lead you are shooting in the environment.

God you people at gun clubs are killing people with your noise, lead, and dust pollution from the toxic targets you shoot.

Shut it down. Let's do it for the children.

5. drh08

drh08 TS Member

From your post you already have a clear stance, so asking this forum seems a little odd.

3 choices

1. Keep it as is
    2. Ban smoking on the grounds
    3. Modify places that you can smoke

All of them have consequences, and you must be able to accept them with the decision.

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines, it does not appear to me that "you can live with either way"!? By the way, when you ban it at your club, I hope the healthy ones don't bitch when you have to raise prices due to loss of targets thrown and membership dues losses! Before you jump in my shit, no, I do not smoke! Tom Rhoads

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

As a reformed addict mysself I know that's the problem with smokers.....they won't clean up and they aren't the least bit considerate of other people. They have no idea what they smell like and really don't care if other people have to walk through, breath their cloudy environment or kick through their mess. Move them away from door, show them just what their trash does, stop smoking on the line and make it stick.

I shot with an idiot, yes and idiot, last spring who kept a lit cigarette between his teeth while shooting and had to smoke two more an drink a 20 oz Mountain Dew between rounds. Held up the whold squad and couldn't have cared less about the inconvenience for the rest of us.

Rich

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

Apparently some of you missed the point of the inquiry. I didn't make the proposal, nor am I advocating for it. Not looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of smoking or dissertations on how every rule is an infringement of someone's "rights." Hoping to find out how other clubs have handled the "problem" if they have encountered it.

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Smokers are in the vast minority. They can also be highly inconsiderate, ignoring the health issues they may be causing to others because of the well documented issue of second hand smoke.

It's the equivalent of someone coming to the club with a bad cold and sneezing on you. I'm guessing most people would be repulsed by that and smoking in a closed environment is about the same except most people don't die from a cold.

If someone leaves a club because of a smoking ban then good riddance as they are being incredibly selfish.

I cannot see why a considerate smoker would object to a smoking ban in closed rooms. The option of going outside for a smoke can still exist with no health hazards except to the smoker.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you ban smoking at the club altogether the smokers will stop shooting there, that WILL be the consequence..........only your club can decide if that's what you want.

John C. Saubak

11. 682b

682b Member

As a reformed smoking addict I can tell you that you have problems. The smokers are all ganged up at the door because you evicted them from inside the club. They smoke on the line because you won't let them smoke inside. Give them a covered comfortable area with ash trays and they will migrate to it. Your next problem will be when the non smokers show up and want to ban smoking in the smoking area. Go ahead and piss them off and they will leave. All of these ideas have already been offered by the other members. When will you ban smoking at the computer. Bigboy

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They already have a smoking ban in closed rooms Jerry.....what's being proposed here is a total smoking ban on club grounds as I understand?

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In the 1950's over 50% of the adult population smoked. Today per USA Today the percentage is about 27%. I don't smoke, however I think a quarter of the people need to be accommodated at a club. Give them a place to smoke.

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Old Cowboy you are correct. I have no problem with people smoking in the great outdoors. As long as they don't flip their butts all over the place they can kill themselves slowly as they wish.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

That doesn't surprise me flincher....OTOH ban smoking ANYWHERE on club grounds and you better believe it'll be a different story.

16. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Years ago a restaurant in town was forsed to install an air cleaner, the neighbors did not like the smell of fryed bacon and frys. I can gurantee you that at some point it will be illegal to BBQ in your own yard, it's already banned in some condos because of the vegans dislike of the smell of meat cooking and the smoke.

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

bigboy has a good solution IMO, give the smokers a covered shaded comfortable area with ashtrays and they will migrate to it, and if I might add.... convenient and NOT way off in a corner someplace. They'll appreciate the consideration, they're not bad people after all, they're just addicted to what is in fact a LEGAL substance and they need a hit approximately every half hour to satisfy their addiction. Give 'em a decent place to smoke and make it plain that smoking on club grounds is allowed ONLY in designated areas (like say this covered shaded area or in the parking lot).....BTW, make the covered shaded area big enuf' to accommidate all the NON-smokers who'll be there preferring the smokers company over that of the pompus nannys over in their smoke-free clubhouse.

John C. Saubak

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I use to smoke for 20 years. I have not for the last 17. I'm still for the smokers right and I'm also for the non smoker.

Not smoking in the club house is not a uncalled for rule for the club. How ever when your outside I don't see a problem. If smoke is coming in as the door is open from the porch smokers just ask them to move to the far end of the porch so the smoke doesn't go in the door.

As for not coming up to the line when called because of their smoking. Just start the squad and let them wait till the next round. They will learn.

19. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Yaki, don't blame all for a dumbass inconsiderate asshole you discribe. Tell him about a little consideration for the other fellows. If its just one guy and he gets peeved then tell him he should find another place to shoot.

Most smokers apease the public by stepping out side and that is all that should be asked. Hell everyone is accepting the tax dollares that slick willie imposed on the cigarettes and the public was willing to take it.

I'm not a smoke. Was 13 yrs ago and realize how it is to nonsmokers. But business still want the profits form it but not the irratation from the smell. Called greed. Ban the damn tobaco and be done with it. Shut down Phillip Morris and see how many states pensions would be lost. See how many unions pensions would be lost.
    I look at it this way. Any business that sells tobaco products should provide a place to smoke, chew and spit. Wild Bill

20. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

If the smoker is a real shooter he won't care and he will respect others by stepping away from the non smokers. He will also clean up his mess. I smoke and don't light up on the line. I will wonder off and stay away from non smokers. I also will make the tiny effort to put my butts in a garbage can after they are out if it means carrying them down to the end of the line. If they banned smoking at my club I WOULD STILL GO AND SHOOT. Shooting is far more important to my life than this pack of cigis...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

smoking at the club