1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking and Diet

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crusha, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Your skeet club has a "steam room?"

E-eewwwww...

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mike ... please do not answer what color your friend said it was. There are some things that can be considered just to damn much information to publicly disclose.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mike ... I'm sorry but now you must ignore and not try Crabby Jacks or at least do not blame me if you like it, enjoy it and want to eat there 3 times a week.

4. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

WHile you are at it, give up sex and liquor. You won't live any longer, it will just seem like it.

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Mike.....that was disgusting! Stay out of those steam rooms!

6. T/C

T/C TS Member

Do push aways. Push away from the table way before you think you getting full. That and 4-6 miles every other day on the tread or better yet out in the open air. No beer, (a) as in (1) good quality single malt Scotch and water per day. I'm holding at a slim 198 from 215. The hills ain't as steep anymore. Now I just have to get thru Christmas with all the pumpkin pies and plum puddings.

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well Mike I quit smoking 2 years ago and I weighed 185. I could eat anything, drink as much beer as I could stand and still stayed the same weight. Two years later, I'm 230 can't eat anything and every beer I drink adds a pound. Is it worth it? I can say that I do feel better not waking up in the morning with phlegm in my throat and everything tastes so much better now. And after watching my mother die of degenerative heart failure from smoking 2 packs a day for 50 years, I would rather be fat than go through that. One thing about the weight gain is it sure absorbs a lot or recoil. I want to look like the big dogs. LOL

Jim

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Mike, Steam room? Been there, done that. Nothing healthy from the steam room, no weight loss or other benefits other than maybe feel good and a substantial increase in blood pressure. No secrets here, eat healthy and exercise.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, nicotine is a stimulant. Every time your blood chemistry goes negative (stress, sex, hunger) you will crave a smoke, even though you are completely over your addition. Nicotine pairs with caffeine to boost your metabolism. They go hand in hand. You've stopped the nicotine. What have you done about your caffeine intake? You need to cut that down.

So with no nicotine and reduced caffeine, your metabolism will be slower. If you do nothing about it, you will gain weight automatically. The amount of metabolic difference translates into about 30 pounds for someone your size. So you'll have to exert yourself enough to burn up the extra calories, or limit your intake. A little of both would be best.

Pick your range of foods from a low glycemic index diet book. You can find them everywhere. Some are called the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, the Diabetes Diet, etc. You want one that explains the glycemic index and gives you the values for all foods. Pick what you like off the low index foods list and eat well.

BTW, no one has mentioned this yet, but nicotine speeds nerve reactions. You think faster and sharper with nicotine in your system than you do without. If you are ever tempted to fall back, do it with nicotine gum, not smokes.

looking forward to your 12th week post.

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

If you are ever tempted to fall back, DON'T!

NO nicotine gum either! Don't put that junk back into your system. Your nervous system has become used to functioning in the presence of nicotine. The only way to beat the addiction is to get the nicotine out of your system AND KEEP IT OUT!

I quit smoking 15 years ago. I still want a cigarette at least once a day. If I caved in and put nicotine back in my blood I'd be smoking again in a week. I hope you have better luck with cravings than I do; many people do. But they're nothing you can't handle. You'll feel sorry for yourself and wonder why you quit every time you feel the urge. Focus on something else instead of on the smoke; the more you focus on the pain the harder it will be to continue to do what you know you really need to do. One day at a time.

Morgan

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

You just need more sex Mike! Then, all your problems will be "little" ones!

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

After all the talk about sex on here I need a Marlboro.

AJ100

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

What type of retail?

14. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Do not take on too much at once, but do try excersize for the wieght problem.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Portion control. One of my friends just lost a goodly amount by one simple change.

He stopped eating when the hunger diminished instead of eating till he had that "full" sensation.

that was the only thing he did and he lost 15 pounds in a month. All his other activities were normal.

Holidays have taken their toll here, Time to tighten the noose.

HM

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I have suggested to others that they might alter their eating habits as follows (it worked for me and several friends):

Focus your food choices on high bulk foods; that is, foods high in water content, primarily vegetables.

Eat watery fruits and steer towards yellow/green apples as they contain less fruit sugar that red ones.

Eat one or two real Kraft caramels with a warm drink (coffee, tea) about 30-45 minutes before your evening meal. The carbs in the caramels will begin to alter your blood chemistry and reduce the hunger signals in your brain by the time you are ready to eat.

Eat less food for the evening meal than you did at mid-day (assuming a traditional "awake days/asleep nights" routine).

Switch to smaller dinner plates. This is a big one. If you look down at a large plate with a normal meal on it, it looks empty and the tendency is to make it look fuller.

Snack on, of all things, raw cabbage and celery. They satisfy the urge to eat but contribute very little to the daily calorie count.

Morgan

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The easiest way to live longer, lose weight and feel great is to eat as recommended on this site. Nothing magic, no gimmicks. Use the Mediterranean Food Pyramid. NOT the American Food Pyramid.

Folks in the Mediterranean basin live longer than any group of folks in the world. Health care is third world, and really smart folks have determined it is the diet.

Don't forget some gym time to change your habits as well.

http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/medpyramid.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.