1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoker

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tachyon, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

So, Trappy started an interesting thread on smoking meat on a Weber grill. Since I will not be shooting this summer (lost the use of my right arm). I am thinking about buying a smoker. It will give me something to do and keep me away from the 10,000 page honey do list.

Suggestions from the experienced folks out there? Suggestions for a remote thermometer? Where to buy? Cabelas has a pile of different ones and of course there are tons of online options.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This is going to sound a bit redneck but you can get excellent results from a 55 gallon bbl. We do this a lot for tri-tip, ribs and chicken.

Just get a decent rust free steel 55 gallon bbl with a detachable lid and condition it by burning out all the paint etc with a real good fire. Burn a bunch of scrap lumber - whatever but get it good and hot. Don't punch any holes in the bbl. Cut some 1/2" concrete reinforcing bar into 30" lengths. Bend some S shaped hooks out of 1/4" round steel or brass.

When its time to cook build another good fire in the bbl using a hardwood like oak. Let that burn down to coal then toss in some wet hickory chunks. Hook up your roast or what ever and hang then in the bbl using the 1/2" rod across the top as the support, Rest the lid on top of the rod. This will leacve a 3/4" gap around the top of the bbl which is necessary to keep the fuel burning but not enough to support a flame.

Internal temp in the cooker is self regulated by the production of steam. You won't burn the meat and it is just about fool proof. Tri-tip takes about 75 minutes, ribs take about 2 hours.

Too simple? Look into a minaturized version of what Milt uses. Essentially a multi chamber unit.

BBQ is lots of fun and you can make some excellent food that all will enjoy.

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Big Green Egg, almost a cult.

ric3677_2008_0303123.jpg

Here's the cook almost done...will do the same with lots of foods.

ric3677_2008_0303125.jpg

Rick in MT

PS be prepared to gain some weight. :)

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

As I was reading this thread I was also smoking some ribs for tonight. This is my Treager. I have had it since 2002 and love it
    cubancigar2000_2008_0303732.jpg

cubancigar2000_2008_0303733.jpg
    these were the best ribs I have ever done and I have done a bunch. I cold smoked it at 140 for 5 hrs then jacked it up to 275 for 2

5. DJM

DJM Member

There are many ways to do it but give me a thermostatically controlled electric smoker. When I am doing things like summer sausage I do want to hover around the smoker for 12 hours. I can dial in a temperature and then just add wood chips every couple hours. If I drive into town I know my temperature will stay at the set point. Models are for sale at Cabelas and elsewhere. Not too hard to make your own. Places like Granger sell thermostats with 110 volt output. Hook that to a 1000 watt electric hot plate. Put a small pan on the hot plate for wood chips. A small metal refrigerator is the perfect size for small batch home use. A 4" pipe with damper at the top and bottom. I built mine out of wood and lined the bottom with thin metal, they do not get very hot.

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have a 5' tall steel smoker that I inherited when my son died. It is charcoal/wood fired. It works fine, but requires some attendance. It has smoked a bunch of salmon and pork. It's fairly heavy steel so it should outlast me.
    Many years ago, I used a metal garbage can with a hot plate in the bottom. I bought a stamped steel skillet and knew where I could get hardwood sawdust from a sawmill. That worked OK too, but needed the hot plate unplugged in a timely fashion.

7. arend003

arend003 Member

All great suggestions for me I use a Lyfe Tyme grill/smoker works great start with charcoal and then use wood have done just about everything on it now.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Weber Smokey Mountain. The 18.5" is plenty unless you're feeding a small army. The Egg is awesome, I'm just too cheap to break out with 8-900.00 dollars to cook outside.lol - but they truly are great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.