1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoked targets in Trapshooting videos.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Logan_p, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan_p

Logan_p TS Member

I have watched The Harlan Campbell Jr DVD's.. Seen clips for the Leo Harrison and Have noticed when they break a target not only do the smoke it There is a cloud of orange ( in the case of the harlan campbell DVD's it almost looks pink ) smoke that hangs in the air.. Am I missing something?.

When I smoke A target there is usually just a cloud of black smoke that quickly disappears.. I have shot lawrys and white flyers and still the same effect, Now I have never seen Leo Harrison or Harlan Campbell shoot in person so I am only going by what I see in the video.

But my question is do they smoke targets like that all the time.. or is this just for the video to see the breaks better.

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

All the time.

You don't get a .99+ singles average year in, year out, with too many chunky breaks.

Different light, targets and background can vary color somewhat.

3. Logan_p

Logan_p TS Member

Ah you are right on. Here is what I got from the White flyer website.

Flash targets are found in the 110 mm configuration and are specifically prepared with a pouch of fluorescent colored powder underneath or on top of the dome. The flash target explodes on impact and provides a puff of colored smoke to show the "kill" more clearly. These targets are used for the final events in International competitions and for televised events.

4. smokemeister25

smokemeister25 TS Member

i know one thing for certain... the birds they use around my area in pa don't smoke like that. you can kill em dead center with a full choke and 7 1/2 shot and bust em all to heck, but they won't smoke. they use different birds and i've always thought it's because they hold up better in the cold weather or something. but they don't break the same. acutally, it's easier to determine where you hit em like that than when they dissapear in a cloud of smoke i think.
    les

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Not on the mentioned videos but I was watching a shotgun instructor on a tv show the other night using the flash targets. IT was funny because you could see that he barely chipped the target but the big poof of chalk dust made it look like he really centered it unless you were paying attention.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bio degradeable targets react like that. HMB

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Plus 2 for the Bio-targets. They are harder to break, but when your in the middle of them, they do make a smoke ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.