1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Smith & Wesson values

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

??? Smith & Wesson values Added information

I'd like the value of 2 Smith & Wessons

1. 4044 Blue/Black .40 caliber, Carried as a duty gun in good condition.

2. Model 29 Blue .44 mag, 6 1/2 bbl.,red insert front sight, target hamer, target trigger,pinned bbl.

Thanks in advance. Richard

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

1. $150 to #300 2. $200 to $600 it all depends... Regards, Ed

3. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Need more info on the Mod 29. Open the cyl, and look on the frame. Is there a dash with a no after the Mod29? What is the condition? Look up the serial no to see the age. Does it have diamond grips? A buyer will pay a premium for an old one in near mint condition with diamond grips. They've been made since the 50's. I bought one for hunting use at an estate auction. When I discovered it was near mint from the 50's, I decided to re-sell it to a collector and got double what I paid. That was 15 years ago and I got $850. I bought another Mod-29, pinned and recessed in stainless for shooting.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Never seen a stainless Model 29.

GneJ

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

One of a kind prototype I guess...

6. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

It should be designated 629. Stainless version of model 29 44mag. I had one.

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Yeah, Model 629. You caught me. I guess I always just think of it as a stainless Model 29.

8. ouch

ouch Member

??? Smith & Wesson values, Added info

I do have the original grips, They have a thumb rest above the S & W medallion on the left side, Plain on the right side. They have a diamond around the grip screw.

The serial number in the bottom of grip frame is

S 178695 it is on the left side of grip frame as:

O

M 87519

in the crane area on the frame it is stamped:
    8178695 lower on the frame towards the crane hinge area there are several stamps including: M , 3 , a 3 inside a circle, a backwards G.

On the crane is : 87519, Then H , G facing proper, M the 3 in a circle.

I have the presentation case, but it was stored in a damp basement. Dust, mold and mildew have worked it over. I donot have the accessories that came in the case; Cleaning rod, Bullets ect.

Hope this helps establish an aproximate value. Thanks,Richard

9. ouch

ouch Member

ttt

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

That's a pre model 29 S&W from around 1956. Value if in excellent condition depends on what a collector is willing to pay. Just the vintage diamond grips may sell for over $250. Condition is everything to a collector. If in very good condition, could value well over $1000. There's one on gunbroker listed for $1800. Like model 12's, the market varies though with popularity and how many are for sale at a particular time. Excellent in case with all the extras can go for substantially more. The screwdrivers are very collectable as well.

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

That's not a "thumb rest" on the left side, it is a clearance cut for when the empties are ejected...although you could use it for a thumb rest...provided the cylinder latch doesn't rap your thumb on recoil.

Sounds like a nice gun...the values mentioned above by magnumshot are accurate.

Bluedsteel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.