1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Smith & Wesson shotguns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

I'm familiar with the long history of S&W handguns, but I draw a blank when it comes to their shotguns. Recently, though, I've received two ads for Smith and Wesson SxS shotguns. One is interesting in that it is for a 20 gauge with "real" bone charcoal case hardening. The retail prices are in the $2,000 range. Can someone tell me a little about these guns or direct me someplace where I can learn more?

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Larry
  2. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Perhaps the best source of information about any Smith & Wesson product is the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, a large hardcover book sold online for about $30. It is currently available in its third edition, which is roughly five years old, and includes production dates, photographs and value guidelines, although I find the values listed for the company's handguns to be a little conservative compared to current auction prices.

If you can provide me with an exact model number, I'll see what info the book contains. The SCSW is very well-researched and I recently contacted S&W regarding production figures for one of their handguns. A few months ago, an S&W customer service representative had given me one figure and I had since noticed a very different one in my SCSW, so I called again. The person with whom I spoke said the SCSW was more accurate due to a 1994 computer crash at S&W.

By the way, there also is a similar publication for Remington firearms.

Ed
  3. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

Thanks Ed. The gun is listed as an Elite Gold, 28 inch barrels. S&W advertises it on their website as having two triggers (MSRP at $2,380). I received a notice for one that has a single trigger and 26 inch barrels.

Larry
  4. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Nice guns but.... the distributors were dumping them over a year ago at $1100, that is less then the original wholesale. The first one we got had wood that was no where near the grade they showed at the Shot Show. Be careful of the coating over the case color, it is a lacquer and Hoppe's can damage it.
  5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

The guns were built in Turkey. Sales were slow so they were
    discontinued.
  6. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

The SCSW doesn't list them at all. The only side-by-side it lists is the "Wesson Firearms Co. Double Barrel Gun," a 30" 12-gauge double-trigger gun with a straight buttstock, steel butt plate and checkered butt of which one to two hundred were made between 1868 and 1870. If you come across one and it is marked, "WESSON FIRE ARMS CO. SPRINGFIELD MASS." and the gun is in excellent condition, it could fetch as much as $10,000. In good condition, $5,000 and without those exact markings, less than half those amounts.

The only 20th-century shotguns listed are the Model 916 pump fixed barrel, 916 pump "Eastwood" version, 916T with interchangeable barrels, 96 pump, 1000P pump, 1000 field autoloader in 12 or 20 gauge, 1000S skeet in 12 or 20-gauge and 3000 pump in field, waterfowl or police versions.

Ed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.