1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smith & Wesson Pistol (Help)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hauxfan, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

A daughter of a deceased friend of mine wanted to know how much her Dad's S&W pistol would be worth.

Well, I don't know, but, I'm betting someone on TS.com will know.

I don't have the gun in my possession, so I can only go by memory as I did see the gun.

It is a .22 long rifle, 6 shot and it seems to be a large frame revolver. I would say it had a 5-6 inch barrel on it with an adjustable rear sight.

She did say that she didn't think the grips were original. They were a molded black plastic/rubber type and they really fit my hand good.

Her Father was a captain in a city police department and was one of my dearest friends.

He has been gone for around 20 years or so, and I doubt if anyone has fired this gun since, as it looked to be in pristine condition.

I don't know if she wants to sell it or not, but she is interested in trying to determine it's value.

The bad part, I could find no Model number on the gun. I'm wondering if the grips that might have been added later is covering up the Model number as they do go quite high on the grip part.

Anyone have an idea of what this Model is? If I see a picture of it on the internet, I would know if that is the gun I'm presenting here.

Plus if you know or knows someone who might know the value, I could pass it along to her.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Hauxfan!

2. Hauxfan

A daughter of a deceased friend of mine wanted to know how much her Dad's S&W pistol would be worth.

Well, I don't know, but, I'm betting someone on TS.com will know.

I don't have the gun in my possession, so I can only go by memory as I did see the gun.

It is a .22 long rifle, 6 shot and it seems to be a large frame revolver. I would say it had a 5-6 inch barrel on it with an adjustable rear sight.

She did say that she didn't think the grips were original. They were a molded black plastic/rubber type and they really fit my hand good.

Her Father was a captain in a city police department and was one of my dearest friends.

He has been gone for around 20 years or so, and I doubt if anyone has fired this gun since, as it looked to be in pristine condition.

I don't know if she wants to sell it or not, but she is interested in trying to determine it's value.

The bad part, I could find no Model number on the gun. I'm wondering if the grips that might have been added later is covering up the Model number as they do go quite high on the grip part.

Anyone have an idea of what this Model is? If I see a picture of it on the internet, I would know if that is the gun I'm presenting here.

Plus if you know or knows someone who might know the value, I could pass it along to her.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Hauxfan!

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Large frame .22 is likely a Smith & Wesson K-22. Depending on the age, condition, etc. could be worth up to $700+. Look at K-22s on Gunbroker.com to see if this helps. Best Regards, Ed

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Most likely a model 17 or if older a K-22

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Swing the cylinder open and look under the crane. The model # should be on the frame underneath.
    Mike Battista

6. Hauxfan

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

I don't have access to the revolver right now, but I should be able to check on the crane next Saturday.

I didn't want to prejudice anyone, but Scheel's said it could be worth up to $250.00. I think they were trying to steal it.

Big Tuna, I looked on Gunbroker's and you were right on the money. That is exactly what it looked like only someone had replaced the grips with a hard rubber type that really fill your hand just right.

Thanks a lot.

I also see why Scheel's was trying to get her to take $250.00 for it..............those Bums! (I can't use profanity here)

Thanks everyone!

Hauxfan!

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If a dealer offered $250, it was probably worth $425. Take the actual blue book value and deduct 40%. Dealers have to make a buck and generally offer 40% less than the actual value. Many people that inherit guns can't wait to get rid of them, and there are some unscrupulous dealers that will undervalue. Ask to see the value in the blue book for proof. These Smith K-guns are nothing special, and rarely sell for over $450 unless they are mint in the box or someone has money to piss away. Prices and popularity come and go, and gun prices are low now with the gas prices taking everyone's extra gun collecting money.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I can buy all of them I want in honist used condition from around $300 up to around $500.

Condition and local demand play a a great role in what your local gunshop will give you they sound like it was a bit low but a fair offer. on the internet people ask about 20% more than they are usually willing to take keep that in mind when checking out the internet prices. I hope this helps.
    Joe

9. Hauxfan

Thanks Guys.........All of this information is very helpful, especially the pics showing where to look for the serial number.

I'll copy this thread and take it with me when I see the young lady next week.

And John, from what you said about the grips, I'm thinking they are Pachmayer grips.

Wow, this site rocks when you you need to find out some information.

Shoot well.............and often!

Hauxfan!

10. Hauxfan

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A dealer in Middle Tenn who "specializes" in Belgian Brownings, once offered a widow $1500 for a SXS shotgun. It was an ornately engraved mint Holland & Holland 24 gauge, made prior to WWI, and one of less than a dozen ever made.

The importer offered her over $100,000 for it.

Watch for the unscrupulous dealer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.