1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smith & Wesson Goof Up (PPK Recall)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cls, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls

cls Member

What do you make of this...

I sent my PPK to S&W at their request back in March to have a recall completed. Today (3 months later) the UPS man delivers it to my house. Luckily I was home as a signature is of course required.

When I opened the box I immediately noticed they had sent me someone else’s PPK. Sure enough the invoice has someone else’s name on it and the gun has a different serial number. The box had my name and address on it.

It was too late to call S&W but I plan to in the morning. I wonder who they shipped MY gun too, and how long it'll take them to get it back??? Then again maybe it's not yet complete and they still have it. cls

2. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Bizarre!

I have sent two Smith's back for warranty work...turn-around was less than seven days in both cases...this was like 5 years ago.

Jef

3. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If it was me, I would try calling the guy who's name is on the invoice to see if he had mine and If so, arrange a swap.

Failing in that, S&W should be able to straighten things out.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

A personal swap would be quick but it might require sending the guns through FFL holders.

Pat Ireland

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I you did a personal swap, you just put the liability of shipping the firearms on yourselves and took the responsibility off of S&W. If something should happen between the transaction S&W would be out of the equation. Make S&W correct their problem. Wayne

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Be careful you might be in violation of a local, state, or federal law for possession of this firearm. HMB

7. cls

cls Member

I called S&W at 8:30am this morning. They said they were going to call me, although it sounded like a story to me. My guess is they were waiting on the edge of their seat hopping whoever they shipped this gun to would call them. She took my email address and said she would email me a shipping label. It's now over nine hours later and I have not yet received it.

She said they had already contacted the person they shipped my gun too, and the name she mentioned was not the name on the invoice I received. So it's a total cluster-$#@%. And my guess is they didn't contact anyone but rather this person, like me, contacted them.

This is really unacceptable. I know mistakes happen, but it's pretty darn simple and basic, to make sure you're sending the correct package to the proper person. ESPECIALLY when it's a handgun... Idiots. cls

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Chuck,

Call at 5:02 PM and leave a message on their machine..."Never mind, I'm sorry to have bothered you...I called you about the wrong gun being shipped, but my friend said I was barking up the wrong tree and I should call BATF instead...so please disregard my previous 3 messages, Thank you..."

That should do it.

10. cls

cls Member

I was inches from threatening to contact the BATF today. S&W's "Customer Service" is a joke. They took 3 days to email me a shipping label. And before they sent me the shipping label they sent UPS to my home for a pick-up, without telling me they were sending them. I wasn't home so there was a sticker on my front door.

They're clueless... I'm tempted to NOT send this piece back to them until I receive mine. cls

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

I would certainly hold it hostage. If they're unable to get yours back for whatever reason, you'll have to wait for somebody high-up with the authority to "appropriate" or approve a new one for you. Who the hell knows how long that could take (you yourself would understand the disconnect between a warranty center and the manufacturing operations)...my guess is whoever that person is would sit on their ass and wait a good long time to see if yours turned up somewhere, before authorizing a new piece to be released to you. And, since the serial number of the new gun would be different, I'm sure they'd have to work it through an FFL, waiting period and all since it's a different piece. If correcting their G..damn warranty defect took 3 MONTHS, the process of getting you a new pistol & the associated red tape could take forever, just because of the number of people involved and the approvals that would be required for something that out of the ordinary.

Nah, right now, I'd stick with the gun you have in the hand. Tell them you need it for self-defense (perfect story since you live in D-troit) and you'll just shoot the one you've got for now, and send it back when they figure this mess out. They have an incentive to correct that...send it back, and who knows?

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Switchblade-327

"They're clueless... I'm tempted to NOT send this piece back to them until I receive mine."

Chuck not that I don't understand that you are frustrated and upset. With holding the gun will only punish the person that owns it. Who I might add has done nothing wrong and is also a victim of S&W's stupidity.

If you refuse to return it to them you can bet they won't even mention BATF to you they will just inform them of the fact that have it and refuse to return it.

Personally I think you should asked them just what they think BATF would do it the situation was brought to their attention.

Bob Lawless

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Bob is right. Go one step further and call for a complete audit of Smith and Wesson gun distribution system. BATF loves doing audits and like the IRS always finds major problems. This is the Smith and Wesson nightmare. Fred

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Switchblade-327-- I understand your frustration, bordering on anger, with this situation. Someone made a mistake. Mistakes happen. I would work with S&W to try to resolve the mistake. A clerk in a shipping room with a 1,000 guns and 1,000 shipping labels got two, or more, mixed up.

You could contact the BATF, but be sure to cite the specific federal regulations that have been violated. If you can do that, then BATF might launch an investigation of both S&W and you. Fred suggested an IRS audit. I do believe that President Obama could indirectly do that but I am not sure that you could.

Just last night, at Burger King, I got the wrong order. I worked with Burger King and got the problem worked out. I was frustrated and had to wait in line for a while, but the problem was finally resolved.

Pat Ireland

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Maybe they're under new management again. S&W changes management, ownership, policies, priorities, and market identity at the drop of a hat. Some of the best and worst guns I've ever owned, and some of the best and worst customer service I've ever gotten, have come from S&W. Dealing with them is a pure crapshoot in my opinion.

-Gary

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I would work with them (s & w), the last thing we need is the btaf to shut down a manufacturer....the dumacrats don't need any help!!!!

tony

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

Pat,

You're talking about a $3 hamburger served by children...your replacement hamburger was within 30 feet of you, you just had to take 10 minutes and go get it.

Chuck is talking about a $500 HANDGUN that he sent to the ADULTS in charge 3 MONTHS ago, and still doesn't have it back...and nobody knows where it is.

In addition to the dollar amount and nature of product, it's the "nobody knows where it is" part that makes this very different.

18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Bob Ireland: Please read carefully my post. I did NOT suggest an IRS audit. I suggested a BATF audit and LIKE an IRS audit BATF will always find something wrong... this is a big difference. Fred

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fred- I apologize. In your post you mentioned, but did not suggest, and IRS audit. You did suggest a BATF audit. That could have serious consequences for some S & W employees and many S & W shooters. I fear the current BATF would be pleased to find a reason to close any gun manufacturer.

Pat Ireland

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I mention to Chuck that and I quote myself "Personally I think you should asked them just what they think BATF would do it the situation was brought to their attention." I never said anything about any audit of any kind. I never even suggested that anyone tell BATF I just suggested he ask S&W what they though would happen if it was brought to BATF's attention.

Now 7 posts later we are arguing among ourselves about something that would point out to the BATF that if they didn't move a little more expediently that a talk with BATF is an option.

buzz-gun

"Chuck is talking about a $500 HANDGUN that he sent to the ADULTS in charge 3 MONTHS ago, and still doesn't have it back...and nobody knows where it is."

I don't think that statement is entirely correct because in the 3 days it took to send a return label to Chuck that S&W has found where it is. I would be a little more concerned with covering my own azz if I were Chuck.

I didn't post my statements to start a major insurrection I just though that with some suggestions that Chuck mite get a few more common sense ideas to work with.

Yet in seven post we are closing a company that make guns and causing major problems over a $500 gun.

GEEEEES no wonder there are no more civil discussions on this site any longer.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.