1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smith & Wesson Elite Gold S X S ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I noticed that the asking prices for new Smith & Wesson Elite Gold Side by Side shotguns have dropped considerably. I can recall when they were around $2,000. Now, several dealers have them for around $1200. These are NIB guns.

I looked at one at a dealer a year or two ago, and they were fairly impressive...very nice fit and finish, good balance, and pretty fancy wood, even for 2K. They seemed to be more nicely made than similarly priced Berettas, SKB's, new Marlin LC Smiths, Weatherby Athena Italias, etc.

Does anyone know why they have dropped so much in price? Obviously, they wouldn't be very good for trapshooting, but they appear to be a fine field or clays gun.

bluedsteel

2. esetter

esetter Active Member

I don't know but I have seen the same thing. A dealer was recently advertising them for $1149 new in box. I agree with you about the quality. I have owned two of them and looked them over from top to bottom. Sold both of them to friends. One had trouble with the gun doubling (single trigger) and he sent it back and they sent him a new gun within two weeks. That lifetime warranty looks pretty good. I think it is the best buy out there on a SXS at a modest (cheap now) price.

3. GUOmaha

GUOmaha TS Member

S&W has discontinued all those Turkish made guns.

4. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

The best deal on a side by side is made by Stoeger....They have been proven at every SASS event in the country week in and week out....I own a twin trigger straight stock 20 ga with 26 in barrels that points like my finger...I could buy four of those for the cost of that Smith and Wesson Turkish made POS....

5. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Yep, Lucky, I also prefer my POS to be made in Brazil.....

6. esetter

esetter Active Member

Guys if you do some checking you will see that S&W built a plant in Turkey and set it up to their specs and made the gun with their direction. They didn't hire someone else to build it and put their name on it. If you haven't handled one of these guns you are missing out on a great buy.

7. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

The S&W Elite Golds were made in the same plant that made the equally unappreciated Kimber shotguns. S&W did not do a good job of marketing the gun. S&W is once again out of the shotgun business and the Elite Golds are being sold as remainders.

Some people only see the "Made in Turkey" stamped on the S&W and then immediately compare it to Huglus and other such farm implements. More intelligent shooters actually look carefully at the gun before drawing a conclusion. Careful examination of the Elite Gold will show it to be a very nicely made gun indeed and worth far more than the current fire sale price of $1200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

smith & wesson elite gold shotgun

smith and wesson s x s