1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SMITH PRE-LOCK 38

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Allen-MX8, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

What is a "pre-lock"? I thought I was real knowledgeable when it comes to S & W revolvers, but I don't recall hearing of the term "pre-lock". Please advise.

eak

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

If you are looking for a shooter, there is nothing wrong with the Internal Lock.

If you do not trust the lock, and fear it may tie the gun up at the wrong time, it can be discreetely disabled with a little file work. I cannot imagine a reputable gunsmith doing this simply for the possible liability. (I disable the safety, you negligently shoot your best buddy, and your lawyer tries to put it off on me!)

You can do it yourself in about 15 minutes, and that is counting 10 minutes to take the gun apart and re assembling it!

Smiths' still use the basic 1898 design. The lock was added so they could be sold in states mandating their use.

An older 642-1 or-2 will fill your bill nicely, but is only available in 38 Spl. The Lightweights with a dash and number are rated for CONTINUOUS use of +P ammo. The 642 no dash might exhibit difficult extraction with high velocity ammo. Close examination will disclose a beefier frame in those models rated for +P. NEVER use +P+ in an alloy gun unless it is a 357!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.