1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

smelting lead

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BILL GRILL, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

anybody smelting lead ? looking for valve off of smelting pot for pouring into molds.

2. unclefish

unclefish Member

you have a picture what you are looking for , my brother gets all types of thing up at the salvage and scrap yard.

3. knobcreek

knobcreek Active Member

I know this is not the subject. shot is getting real high again. I do think this is really going to hurt our sport. what do you think?

4. unclefish

unclefish Member

lead prices are still holding there own compared to what steel and some of the other raw materials are down to.

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Member

I use a cast iron dutch oven pot I bought at Harbor Freight with our Turkey fryer burner for smelting and mixing lead for cast bullets.

himark thanked this.
  6. unclefish

unclefish Member

Ddranch. I think he was looking for a valve to open and close off to let lead flow out of cast iron pot. But yes a turkey fryer and pot seems to be the best. Even better than the old style that screwed to the top of a gas grill style tank. I have switched to Turkey fryer and it kicks @SS .

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

8. unclefish

unclefish Member

all I use for pouring my jigs sinkers and making lead shot is a regular laddle. that laddle does look cool and should work good for keeping that impurities out since they are usually on top floating on top of lead.

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Member

I smelt and blend in my dutch oven pot. All my casting is done in a 20# bottom pore pot, which never sees none fluxed lead.

10. DDRanch

DDRanch Member

Side bar questioned. What are you guys fluxing with, sawdust, wax or ?

11. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Do you really mean "smelting" or are you just re-melting existing lead and making it useful again?

12. unclefish

unclefish Member

I use paraffin wax. Canning wax buy it any where's about. Use a finger tips size piece .

13. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Beeswax works well. Smells better than paraffin. You can cut up your wife's scented candles into pieces a bit larger than a fat Pea and those work too.

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Cheapest wax is toilet seat rings...

15. DDRanch

DDRanch Member

Smelting wheel weights mostly and some lead.

16. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

New or used? Couldn't pass it up!!!! LOL!!! May have to really do a wind check depending on which your using!!!! I have always used old candle wax left over from past burning sessions of pooled up wax. Cut off a piece about the size of a big pea and away we go.
    Never have heard of sawdust. Do you light the wax after dropping it or not. I light it with a long wooden match. I have heard of some who don't. Just drop and scoop off the floating slag.

17. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

The purpose of the flux is to keep the tin/antimony/whatever in solution. So if you have a bunch of floating slag after fluxing you have problems. May be your melt is too hot and you are oxidizing the ingredients. May be.you have things like gravel or iron in your feedstock. But flux early and often, stir the melt well, skim if you must early in the batch for the gravel etc. then if slag still forms flux more and or reduce the heat.

Sawdust will self ignite. 1 gram of flour will reduce 12 grams of PbO back to metallic Lead ( extractive metallurgy, fire assay basics ) so if your pot is hot add a bit of flour and lower the heat.

18. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

I melt down wheelweights and make decoy weights and pistol bullets. I cast the dek weights as is. The pistol bullets are cast into ingots. I add 2lbs of plumbers bar or solder rod on a roll per pot full to make the wheelweights not so hard unless that's what im after. I flux the lead when I first melt it than not afterwards. That and the inside of my Lee melting pot gets rust from sitting so I always wind up with debris floating. It gets spooned off as I am melting it then just before I pour it to ingots, I flux it.

19. deadandlost

deadandlost TS Member

I use a threaded rod, with a nut welded over the pour orifice, welded a t handle to the rod, and relieved the underside to make a seal, piped on the underside below the orifice with standard black pipe to get the ingot molds away from the heat source

20. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I think smelting is when you have lead ore and need to extract the lead from the ore by heat.
    Do you mean you need to melt some lead?