1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

smelley dog ears need cure

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fishbone, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishbone

fishbone TS Member

Sorry about OT but i know most trapshooters are dog lovers. We have a rescued clumber poodle mix that suffers from itchy,smelley ears,does any one know of a treatment , or cure to give this dog some relief. thanx in advance charlie soda n.e.ohio

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Might be ear mites. Take it to the Vet the first time and you'll know how to take care of the problem in the future. Bulge.

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Try "Oti-Calm". I got some from my vet. Squirt the liquid in....massage around, then get some tissue and some q-tips and go to work. My setter doesn't care for the liquid but doesn't mind me playing (cleaning) with her ears. Repeat as necessary. Soapy (mild) water would probably do the same thing. Your dog if like mine just produces a bunch of ear wax that needs cleaned out from time to time. Yes, it will be a smelly mess but I'm sure your dog is worth it!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Antibiotic ear drop from your vet. Once daily for one week then once a week for 4 weeks. One drop per treatment, rub ear for a few seconds after placement.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster is right on. My Brit had a bacterial infection a month or so ago, first ear problem in 15 years. A prescription of muricin/burrow/hydrocort sl cleaned it up fine for him. Good luck, Bob

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The dog needs stuff from the vet. That opti calmn stuff and then drops will cure it. We have a Lhasa Apso that has Chronic ear trouble. Jeff

7. fishbone

fishbone TS Member

Thanks guys we have been to the vet 4 times. I will try again. but was looking for a home remedy. That can be made in the kitchen. Thabks again Charlie

8. high 2

high 2 Member

Biscuits and gravy will get his mind off of his ears. That`s a home remedy that works EVERY time.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Kitty says that Dogs are just naturally stinky, dirty animals that rank right there with Rats and Pigs.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1229.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Charlie,
    Had the same problem with my 2 labs. I tried everything, over counter and prescrip. Took them to the vet several times to no avail. Last visit to the vet a new doc came in to take a look. He asked me what I was feeding them, Pedigree. He says that may be the problem as the cheaper foods have a lot of filler in them, like grains. The dog can be allergic to the fillers. He recommended a food with more protien.
    So I switched them to Purina ONE and after a few weeks it was gone, both dogs!!! No more stinky, itchy, scratching, brown goo ears. Pink and sweet!!!!
    They just need more protien and less grain in their diet, the doc was right on!!!! Hope that helps........

Cheers,

George

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I had a female Springer than had chronic ear problems when we got her.

The Vet mixed a cocktail of antibotics which helped.

Someone told me to get a long snout squirt bottle and mix a 50-50 solution of Betadine solution and warm water, and to flush them.

She tolerated it pretty well and it really flushed out some bad looking gunk.

I did this on a several month routine and no more problems after.

If you cant find Betadine, the Antiseptic solution will also work well.

Regards....Gerald

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Some dogs are more prone to ear infections especially water dogs and those that hunt in wet grass. Vet gave me antibiotics but he also gave me some ear flush that solved the problem, squirt it in the ear, massage the ear, take paper towel and index finger and clean out ear. Do it after they come out of the water or hunting and/or periodically.

Smell usually means infection. I had 2 dogs same breed, Britany, hunted same areas and one got infections and the other didn't.

Don

13. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Our Golden Retriever has the same problem. 2 different vets told me to mix 1/2 5% acid vinegar to 1/2 part water. Makes a 2-1/2% acid wash. They both said to gently squirt the solution in and message it around and dry with a towel. They said it was safe to use it every day.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tron, my buddy wants to take "kitty" for a ride....

[​IMG]

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

In Martin's picture, Kitty can't figure out which one is the stinky old dog. Maybe both are?

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1568.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I was havin the same problem as Kitty--not sure if it's the beards or ears, or both.

BTW miss upidy Kitty kat--ya ever smell your own cat breath? While I'll admit a wet cat smells somewhat better than a wet dog, I'd rather dog breath any day.

Guy B.

17. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Seems I read somewhere that boiling out with peroxide and rinse with water and dry and put Virginian olive oil in the ears, or ck web site above for home rem.

thanks
    lee

Google--stinky ears

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is diet related and high protein/low fat will help. My yellow dog says cat meat really helps...

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Oh Tron, that was a good comeback.

Sorry Martin, I couldn't help but laugh......lol

Hauxfan!

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Listerine works great for cleaning and preventing ear yeast infection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.