1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Smallie Addicts.........Starting To Jones

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Spanky, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I dream about smallies.........and greenies also. I thought I might not be alone on this but, I've been going over my rods and reels, lure hooks, and picking up more baits and a few new things I want to try. Been laying out some foot work for a few trips this year. Kicking around the Mississippi up around St. Paul, 1000 Islands and along the Tennesse River somewhere. I have to get to a few places before I leave Gods green earth.

I though I might try to get on the braid line band wagon but think I might be making a mistake. I fish alot of soft plastics on fast and extra fast action rods. I think I'm looking for trouble. Something has got to give a bit and I'd hate to break a rod over it. Better stick to mono. I might be able to get away with it on some crankbait and spinnerbait rods but I might as well stay a mono guy and stick with old school. The braid line may not be for me. I'm open to opinions and your experiences on this braid.

Sorry for rambling but, I like the response from you smallie guys when I post. I'm a catch and release fisherman so if I end up in your backyard your fish will stay at home. Good fishing, Spank.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have 100 rods and reels. Variety is the spice of life. HMB

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I think the line stretch on mono saves a lot of fish for me. I use soft leech imitations with just one hook. Get a lot of strikes but I lose my share. With braid I know I would lose more. Bill

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Are "100 rods and reels" considered an arsenal by the PETA goons? ;-)

Bob Falfa

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

Spanky - Try some florocarbon. Much better sensitivity than mono. I like Vanish, but ask around. Some is limper and has less memory than others. Floro also sinks so no good for top water. Mike

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try off my dock. the smallie is thepanfish of the St Croix River.

7. hillestadj

hillestadj TS Member

I'd look at fluorocarbon if you need to try something new (Seguar and Sunline works well for me). Stick to mono for your crank baits, braid will not allow them to reach desired depths.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I miss bluegills and pumpkinseeds from when I was a kid in Omaha. The trout in Oregon made up for it, but I'd sure like some panfish again. My daughter caught some crappies on a trip once and brought them home. Pretty good, that was the closest I'd had in 40 years. Sometimes we'd catch a catfish, but that's been a long time.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I use braid with a flourocarbon leader. The braided stuff is STRONG!!,and the leadedr will break when you hangup. Also I use 100% flourocarbon with tossing crank baits---it sinks and you will get that extra couple of feet depth that wont be there with mono.

LOVE THEM OLE BROWN fish !!!!

10. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

You should try a 3-4 weight 8' fly rod in Lake St. Clair. Some of the best and biggest smallies in Michigan. If Canada is your pleasure. Northern Lake Huron is loaded with them. Fly Fishing for anything is more fun JMHO.

Chuck

11. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I fish mostly for salmon and steelhead. Tried the braided stuff, and took it off after only a couple weeks. Drove me crazy. The smallest tangles result in unfixable knots requiring to cut the whole mess off and re-tie everything. It does cast farther, is stronger. But doesnt behave at all like the old mono I have grown used to. Just loop over your own rod tip would end up being a 5 minute ordeal to straighten out. I use 100% flurocarbon now. But I just might go back to mono. Stretch is not a bad thing when trying to land big fish on light line.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Flourocarbon doesnt stretch very much 24's. And is much more sesitive than mono. Great for soft plastics when paired with braid as a main line. better than mono for cranks. NOT good for floating baits at all--ruins the action on top waters.

13. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Yeah, I have noticed the non-stretch part. But all my fishing is bottom bouncing,river fishing and this year the water has been low and clear. So I do believe the thinner flourocarbon has resulted in more hook-ups. Fish were really line shy this fall. I have backed off the drag and can honestly say the thinner lines havent cost me a fish yet. (knock on wood)

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Guys just a quick one. Flourocarbon and stained water. Is this a good match. I would guess to say that the majority of the time I would rate the river as stained to some degree. The flouro is o.k. for clear and stained ?????? Probably was a dumb question, they make different colors.

15. mnhomebrewer

mnhomebrewer TS Member

I have the answer to your bucket list. Mostly 12 to 18" but some up to 22"

Give me a text. Ill get you what you need. Just not until summer though. That's when it turns on around here.
    Must not have had enough from the fall eh?

Ill send pix if you want.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.