1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Trailer Towed Behind 5th Wheel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ultra Man, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultra Man

Ultra Man Member

Does anyone haul a golf cart on a trailer behind a 5th wheel camper? Can't find a toy hauler I like without spending mega bucks. For the money you can get a much nicer bigger camper, but I want to take my cart. I know backing up would be out of the question. I have plenty of pickup and drive a semi so I have trailering experience. I think I probably know the answer to this but wanted input from someone who did it. Thought about a bumper hitch camper but my cart won't fit in my truck bed. Thanks

2. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

FYI It is illegal to tow three deep in a lot of states my friend got 2 tickets in PA last year.

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I pull a couple jet ski's behind mine all the time and occasionally a boat or a tent trailer with no problems.It is legal in Idaho and Montana but not in Washington State check the laws in your state rather than find out the hard way.Jerry

4. high 2

high 2 Member

I`ve got a 4 door dually and a 38' Montana and have pulled my 20' Nitro behind it. The length limit varies from state to state. I`ve never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it. Oklahoma is 65' total length. There is a web site that gives regs for the different states. I don`t have any problems with my rig, just have to be sure you can drive through, sure can`t back`em up. Larry

5. Ultra Man

Ultra Man Member

I would be in the midwest only Ill,Mo,Ia,In,Ohio. Thanks Again

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

It Is illegal to pull 3 deep in some states I would check those states you listed first just because some states allow it not all do.

7. xtj

xtj Guest

like old one eye said there are few states that it is illegal if the states you will be going to are the legal ones no problem you need to do a search and find out which are legal. KEEP IN MIND IF YOU WOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH A ILLEGAL STATE TO GET TO A LEGAL STATE YOU COULD RUN INTO A PROBLEM.

JOEL

8. rdp58

rdp58 TS Member

Check out the link above, it might tell you what you need to know.

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I pull my boat to the lake once a year behind my 5th and it's fine....I used to do it behind a bumperpull...not a good idea..almost went for a ride once. Cured me.

Rick in Mt.

10. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

See people doing it all the time around deer season. Always wondered if you needed a doubles endorsement on your liscense to do it but since its recreational you can get away with murder compared to trucking. could definitely see the law wanting brakes and a ripcord on the second trailer though.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

We have a gentleman at our club who has a small cart he takes to the sporting clays shoots. This is a small cart that looks like a oversized elect. cart used for home use. Its a two man cart and is great for shoots. It will go into a doorway (inside your 5 wheel), or can be mounted on a hitch platform on a class 3 hitch. It even has its oun ramp to go up and down that folds up. He uses it on the back of a larger car w/ hitch, so I'm sure you can have it on back of 5th wheel. No trailer so no problem. Only has the 2 seats but runs all day on a charge. I think he said he found a guy that made them in Georgia. Priced nice too if I remember right, somewhere around 2500 maybe 3000 or so for a new one. I don't remember the name of the maker of the cart. If you want let me know and I will try to find out for you. Break-em all. JEff

12. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

A person in Texas makes a very neat toy hauler addition I saw at the Mo. fall handicap. look at web sight toyhaulersplus.com very neat very expensive, but will work.

13. ajc

ajc Member

It is legal(in CA)to tow two trailers, but you must hold either a Commercial endorsement (Class A or B), or a Restricted Class B Fire Fighters endorsement on your driver's license.

14. M-16

M-16 TS Member

If your state allows doubles then you can run interstate routes through ileagal states, but going onto secondary roads is a problem. They do make platforms for the back of 5th wheel trailers that has high speed swivel wheels so it is not considered a trailer. I'm not a fan of them but they work to get around state laws.

15. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Michigan allows it. I got set up for just that last year. Michigan has a total length limit, 65 feet, and my wife and I each had to pass a written test to enable us to add the "recreational double" endorsement to our licenses. I had a Reese receiver installed on my 32 ft. Montana 5th wheel. My overall total length is 64 ft. 8 & 3/4 in. I measured my total length by connecting the three vehicles, dropping a plumb bob from the leading edge of my pickup, marking the ground, and then doing the same thing from the trailing edge of my cart trailer. I then pulled my rig ahead and measured the distance between the two marks. I carry my plumb bob with me in my truck, in case I have to verify my length to a doubting LEO. As I also shoot at the Cardinal Center in Ohio, I checked with Ohio State HP on the legality of a "recreation double" in Ohio. After calling several different numbers and talking to several different people, I learned my setup was also legal in Ohio. I've shared my experiences with other shooters, who pull doubles, and we came to the same conclusion: Most LEOs don't know their state's laws regarding doubles and so it is prudent for the driver to carry proof of the legality in that state. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

16. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

In Illinois it is illegal to haul a second trailer without a converter. Which means trailer # 2 cannot be hooked directly to trailer # 1. Trailer # 2 must have it's own axle to be towed from, just like you see the " pups" being pulled by UPS and other LTL carriers. Call the Illinois State Police they will provide all details you need. Larry Lockhart

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Always wondered.... what do you do if ya gotta back up????

I had a three-on-the-tree 65 C10 years ago that broke the reverse gear. Drove it for quite a while like that although the pre-planning for parking became monotonous.

Guy B.

Obviously a one trailer at a time guy....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.