1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Liberal-Arts Schools, what's good?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Trappy12, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Small Liberal-Arts Schools, what

Well now entering my senior year in high school, my college search is in full swing, and I pretty much have my mind set on a small liberal-arts college over a large university. I believe the advantages are endless as I continue to find more every day, with the main advantages being a more interactive approach with professors and students, better campus life due to the closeness of the students, better dorms, and of course, the significantly higher female population. Keep in mind, liberal-arts college does NOT mean liberalism!
    Anyways, schools I am looking at include Carleton College in MN, Grinnell College in IA, Illinois Wesleyan University, in IL and on the lower academic end of it, Ripon College in WI. Who has been to the smaller liberal-arts schools? Do any of you have any good information from personal experiences of either attending a such school yourself? Or perhaps have a child or grandchild who attended such a school? I'm just looking for any good schools around so I can try and expand my horizon a bit and explore what's out there. Thanks for any insight, it's greatly appreciated...and needed.
    -Trappy

2. brigade

brigade TS Member

Interested in expanding your horizon, very good. Ed

3. Mapper

Mapper Member

Trappy, look at Hillsdale and Kalamazoo College in Michigan. K College if you play tennis and Hillsdale for a good education. I understand George Mason is pretty good too.
    Mapper

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I did look into George Mason, problem is 1.) it's a little big for my taste, and 2.) nobody lives on campus, so campus life is all but dead. I think I'm going to Kalamazoo for a visit in the next few weeks. I'll check out Hillsdale, I haven't heard of it. As for sports, no tennis, Trapshooting, Lacrosse, and Ultimate Frisbee for me!
    -Trappy

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My brother is a professor at Carleton in Minnesota. Very well respected school.

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

timb, what does he teach?

mapper, thanks a lot for the tip on Hillsdale, I checked it out and now I'm definitely going to have to stop by.
    -Trappy

7. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Grove City College

Takes no Federal $$ so no Federal B.S. just like Hillsdale

http://www.gcc.edu/Academics.php

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

How about Washington College in Chestertown, MD. There are a few trap ranges within a reasonable distance.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Millikin College , Decatur, IL
    Greenville College, Greenville, IL
    Quincy University, Quincy, IL
    Eastern Illinois University.( of course, it's a state school but it has a nice homey feel of a private school.)
    Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL (best looking girls in Illinois and there is a canon on campus that fires when a virgin walks before it. It hasn't fired for over 200 years.)

10. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

My daughter went to Rhodes College in Memphis. First class. Students tend to be polite, smart and conservative. When she applied for graduate school at Vanderbilt she was told by the admissions officer that Vanderbilt likes to take kids from Rhodes because they are very well schooled and motivated. In fact they told her that they can't recall ever accepting someone from Rhodes that didn't do well at Vanderbilt. Emory and Yale also offered her a slot and she credits Rhodes and it's reputaion as the reason. Sort of a Southern Ivy League School. Expensive as hell. Another good one is Sawanee (spelling ?) in central TN

Or, you could be like my son. He is doing his graduate work at Hong Kong University. English speaking professors. And world class guest speakers and special programs. And they love those white boys from Arkansas because over there he is a minority. His class mates are from all over the world. And the cost is less than what you would pay for a top notch university here in the states. And he is crazy about Chinese girls. After dating nothing but Asians now for 2 years he says Caucasion women don't have their head screwed on right. And after spending some time with a couple of his girlfriends I gotta say that he may be right. The latest one is now his fiancee. Cute. Cute. Cute. And smart ? Whatchu talking about ? Masters in Finance. Speaks perfect English as well as mediocre Spanish. And adores my son. I should be so lucky.

Dan
    Dan

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Both of my sons went to Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Ia.

Great school. You owe it to yourself to at least check it out.

Good luck!

Hauxfan!

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Another vote for Hillsdale, and you'll be closer to home.

HM

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Trappy: Hillsdale should be looked at hard. They just built a new shooting facility. BUT BEWARE it is the most CONSERVATIVE in the country. In order to keep the Gov't. out of dictating courses they have declined certain Fed. Aide, very Independent. With all this you might change your politics.

Don (class of 62)
    Wife (class of 64)
    Daughter (class of 86)
    Son in Law (class of 85)

14. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

My son just graduated from Depauw University this spring. Fantastic liberal arts school. All sports on campus and trap within easy driving. Freshmen can have cars on campus. I would also second Grove City. A son of a friend of mine went there and is doing well.

Steve

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Grinnell college is very well respected, but kind of expensive. You will like the professors there though. They are very liberal and will indoctrinate you rather than enlighten you.

16. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

You want a good school with a small town feel, check out Pittsburg State, Pittsburg, KS. Town of 20,000, short drive to KC and the best fishin' you'll find in old coal strip pits. Plenty of shooting close and the best DIV II football program in the nation. Even Pat Ireland will recommend this one.

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

University of Saint Francis in Fort Wayne, IN. Small school, very well respected. I've heard its expensive, but what collage isn't. Fort Wayne is about a three hour drive from Chicago, and lots of places to shoot trap, and skeet. Wayne

18. JOND

JOND TS Member

Why not look at Beloit College in Wisconsin? JOND

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dude....Univ. of Miami.

Curt

20. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

www.allegheny.edu/
    Approximately 2,100 students located in Meadville, PA (small town in northwestern PA) One daughter graduated Magna Cum Laude two years ago in Biology with just two credits short of a music minor. Currently working with wild animal rehabilitation in the Pittsburgh, PA area and has played several concerts with a Pittsburgh area regional band but time constraints put that on hold for now. Second daughter attending and is doing a study abroad program in Australia for the first semester of her third year, leaving in just a week or so from now. She is also in biology. She has also picked up many music courses. School always seems to be adding new facilities, both housing and educational. Good financial aid availability if high school grades are decent.

www.mercyhurst.edu
    Located in Erie, PA but away from the downtown area in a more residential area. Approximately 3200 students. One daughter just graduated Summa Cum Laude with both Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education and a religious studies minor. Currently working a summer camp for ADHD students and will be working in a daycare in Pittsburgh in the Fall. Good financial aid, again if high school grades are decent.

www.gannon.edu/
    About 4,000 thousand students, located in Erie, Pennsylvania. Located Downtown in a mid-size town One daughter currently attending (transferred in at mid-year in Sophomore year) with a major in nursing. She transferred in from John Caroll in Cleveland. Coming in as a transfer student did reduce the financial aid opportunities but still reasonable.

www.jcu.edu
    John Carroll University, located in Cleveland, Ohio suburbs. Approximately 3,000 enrollment. Daughter liked and thought highly of the school but transferred out because she chose to go into nursing which is not offered at JCU. She had been in Sociology. Almost all of the credits earned here did transfer to her new school, Gannon University. Fairly steep pricing but did have good financial aid availability. First year food service poor, second year food service improved but still not "home cooking".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.