1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

small laptop/netbook recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Thinking about getting a small/cheap laptop or netbook to carry with me when I travel to shoots, ect. I really don't have ANY performance requirements, other than it being WIFI compatible, and be able to support a web browser (preferably mozilla firefox), both of which are probably present in any laptop that will turn on LOL. Other than that, I really don't care about OS, hard drive size, ect, as it's only really a stop-gap when I can't be home to use my desktop computer, and will probably only really be used on average once a month.

Any recommendations? Looking to spend $200 or less (probably in the used/refurb range, but I have seen some new in that are), which isn't outside the realm of reality. Also, if anyone has what i'm looking for for sale, please drop me an email and we can talk. I have access to the disks i'll need to reformat a hard drive if necessary, so that isn't a concern I don't think. I've done a little perusing on craigslist, and have found what appear to be pretty good deals, but i'm a little nervous buying something like this from a stranger and having it die shortly after buying...

2. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Acer. Click on the above link to read the reviews.

3. trapster100

trapster100 Member

The Asus 1005HA is a nice little set-up. The 6 cell battery will give at least 6 - 8 hrs of life.
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=asus+1005ha&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&cid=15789944621

CNET Review:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1005ha/4505-3121_7-33698049.html

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

go to tiger direct.com,,they have many specials,even refurbished if you don't want to spend a lot of $$

doug H.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

After doing alot of research last night and today, I just placed an order for a Asus 1005HA-V. I was able to purchase one from memorylabs.com for $229 TOTAL (free shipping and no tax) for a refurbished model. Same comp is $259.99 (before shipping) @ tigerdirect. Only has a 3 month warranty, as opposed to I believe a 1 year that I'd get if I bought new, but a new one would have been at least 100 bucks more, so I think i'll be OK, esp for the limited use the computer will receive.

I went to best buy and played with one of these computers in a stripped down version this afternoon, and was pretty impressed for the size/price. Have to regress to Windows XP (using vista now), but I don't think that'll be a problem. Kinda excited to have a portable computer, I'm lost when I'm away from my desktop for more than a day. Finally coming into the 21st century. With the exception of my mp3 player, I'm usually about 1 step behind the curve of technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.