1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Gun Club starting a Trap Shooting Program

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron Adams, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Adams

Ron Adams Member

We are about to start a Trap Program after using portable DO-ALL double head

trap throwers.The club is buying a automatic 90 clay thrower and we are going

to pour cement for five positions with a thrower house . Had a great turnout

even had alot of ladies and young folks. We

have been doing this for about five or six months.

The contractor will start as soon as the temp changes a bit (cools off).

My question is what am I getting myself into ? The wife and I enjoy shooting

clays along with alot of friends but not sure of this new adventure .

Ron Adams

2. t7731

t7731 Member

Where is your club?

3. Ron Adams

Ron Adams Member

McComb Ms (S.W.G.C.)

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

Regardless of what trap you are using now, make the trap house big enough to stand up in and make sure there is room for a real trap machine in there. You don't want to have to go back a year from now and build a new one. Make sure you wire a couple of extra electrical outlets too. Having a fan in there during the summer makes loading the trap a lot more bearable, and if you do go with a PAT trap at some point you'll need a heat source for the hydraulics in the winter. Not really big things, but they are much cheaper to do now than they will be later.

5. Ron Adams

Ron Adams Member

Thanks jhoward,

That's the kind of help/advise I'm looking for . As far as the house goes we

are planning on building it just like you described . Right now we have a great

group of new and first time trap shooters coming out to shoot with us . We are

having a BLAST and everyone is getting a KICK out of it .(pun) Just hope they

all will keep coming when the weather starts getting colder .

RA

6. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Hope the initual enthusiam continues for the group.

As another person said, build the trap house to allow for future growth.
    It has been my experience that the "Do All" traps do not hold up under heavy use.
    At some point you will need to upgrade to a upscale trap. Nothing is as frustrating as having a shoot and have the trap continually break down.
    There are a number of Rem. 4100 auto traps that have been replaced by Pat traps sitting in storage. They can usually be bought for around $1000.00 and hold a case of targets. I went this route myself and bought it on ts.com.

Also if you are shooting regulation trap the 90 target thrower will not accomodate a squad of five shooting 25 targets each.

This would be a concern if you progress to the point where the shooters want to shoot regular trap, rather than just "winging" some targets into the sky.

My thoughts,

ed

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Obviously, have "open" shooting... but try to structure a calendar of programming... fix your days of operation in conjunction with other area clubs and the community... schedule something once a day, week, month then expand upon that to each quarter/season... then build into that annual events...

Even if you're not there yet... put up a "year-at-a-glance" calendar - people like structure in their shooting sports, give them something they can depend upon... for their own programming with work, family and friends...

Jay

8. Ron Adams

Ron Adams Member

Thanks Jay,

We do have a schedule for the shoots that we post six months in advance. Right

now with all our other shooting events I can only get one day a month.

I said in my earlier thread that we are going to purchase a 90 clay thrower,I

made a boo boo, we are getting a Pat trap,and I like the idea of a fan and

heater for the house.

I have my own Do-All thrower and some of us go out after a shooting event to

practice .

RA

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

A used Pat Trap was for sale on here recently. Can't go wrong with them. If you buy a used one, support is readily available from the home office for the asking.

As for the trap house and walks, please look at the specs for a regulation field. I think you will appreciate it in the future, if you make everything right the first time.

We were issued a DNR grant some time back, and their specs for a trap house are great....lots of storage, and head room, but I wish we had installed a sliding roof to make loading and servicing the Pats easier.

Then again, with their money, we had to build to their specs.

Good luck and good shooting

Danny

10. Ron Adams

Ron Adams Member

Thanks Danny,

We did purchase a rebuilt Pat Trap complete with new motor and controls. Also a

few extras.

I do hope the enthusiasm keeps up.

RA

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Just a word on the dimensions of the house. We built one that would accomodate stand-up loading. Beautiful house, but a little too large to ever have registered birds. Check the specs. Bill

12. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

For what its worth think about putting a normal size door on the side of your trap house. A well of about 5 or 6 steps down to the door sure makes access easy. Thats the way we did ours at our club. Its a better then climbing in the front. If you would like I can send you a photo.

13. William681

William681 Member

Ron,

I have also started a small trap shooting venue in SE NC.

We shoot on the grounds of a public range.

My set-up is totally portable with the trap and a generator to run it mounted on a trailer.

My first shoot drew one shooter, I am now up to 15 and growing.

My shooters, who started out lucky to break 10, are now consistently in low 20's
    One made his first 25 this past week.

Anyway I use a vintage Remington 4100 trap, one was for sale on e-bay a week ago for $250.

This trap is a workhorse and would serve you well.

I would have bought it but distance to pick up is too far for me.
    Unit may still be available, here is the link..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251105109398?
    ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bill Boston

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Wow Bill that is really starting at a grass roots level! Good luck to you and here's hoping someday you can have a clubhouse and all. Bill

15. Ron Adams

Ron Adams Member

Thanks Bill,

We started out with just a few friends having fun. Still want to keep it fun and

try to get more shooters insterested! At our first shoot, I was the only one

that could bust 25 out of 25 , but I was trying to show the six shooters that

showed up how to do it . Now I have 3 or 4 shooters that can make me look like

a beginner. I have had from 7 to 21 shooters at our shoot. I want to keep it fun

as much as I can.

RA

16. 870shooter

870shooter Member

Great to hear people starting up new clubs, remember, "If you build it, they will come." Also as others have said, planning is key, build the house(s) big enough, with extra power, proper layout, plan for someday having 150 shooters or more, dimensions of the fields, get a real cement guy and someone who knows how to use survey equipment. Make sure your fields and houses and walks are square to each other. I have never started or run a gun club, but over my lifetime I have seen a lot of them close down for one reason or another, usually going back to bad initial planning, shotfall land and other property rights issues will come into play as you grow. A quick google search will give a lot of good starting info.
    http://www.ctsasa.co.za/wp-content/gallery/range_plans/ata-trap-range-plan.jpg

Good luck, shoot good, keep it fun

870shooter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
laws for starting a trap range
regulation skeet house dimensions
skeet field plan
trap house and field demensions
trap range

trap shooting field dimensions

trap shooting range dimensions