1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Gauge Trap - 2010 Grand American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Target13, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Target13

Target13 Active Member

Hi Folks...

A group of us in Industry have gotten together and asked the ATA EC and Grand Shoot Chairman, Mike Hampton for permission to host a two trapfield Small Gauge Trap Singles - 28 Gauge Non-Registered Event at this year's Grand American in Sparta. The specific dates will be Friday, August 6th thru Sunday, August 8th. Utilizing the first two trapfields on the West End of the Complex, we will be offering shooters a 25 Target event that will include your ammunition and guns to borrow for FREE. At the conclusion of your shooting the 25 targets, we will ask you to take a moment to fill out a short questionnare to be eligible for the awards to be handed out on Sunday afternoon. We will have different brands of 28 Gauge Target ammunition thanks to our sponsors plus demo guns for you to use at NO CHARGE.

More details will be forthcoming not only in the Grand American Program, but thru announcements here and elsewhere. We hope that if you plan on attending the 2010 Grand, that you will make it a point to visit Fields 1 and 2 at the Complex in Sparta to give this a try. I've tried this and it is really a lot of fun !!! The 28 Gauge is one of the more comfortable gauges to shoot plus it can really hit those targets !!!

Look forward to seeing you there and to have some FUN !!!

Phil Murray

2. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I will do it if I attend the Grand (big 'if'). I will use my K80. Are you considering adding a 100 target Singles event for the 28 gage:^)

3. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Phil;
    Whether or not I attend; this sounds like a wonderful idea.
    Once shooters are introduced to the 28 gauge, they will fall in love with it.
    God Bless, and with best wishes for this being a roaring success.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

4. Target13

Target13 Active Member

For this year, there is no plan to have a 100 Target registered event. If this combination seems to be successful, it will be looked at. Our hope is that the shooters will find this to be a lot of fun and we can look at doing other Small Gauge in the future.

Many of us in Industry from a strictly business standpoint would love to see some Small Gauge activity at trap. Why ?? It would mean more sales of reloading equipment; ammunition; guns; targets et al. Additionally, shooting the small gauges is really a lot of fun. I realize with the economy and costs as they are, the thought for many that they would need additional equipment or have more costs is paramount. Nevertheless, many have small gauge target/hunting guns that are sitting and not being used. The intent here is to not CHANGE trapshooting, but add some variety and FUN. Hence, this is why we are offering this event at this year's Grand to see if there is any interest as another trapshooting venue/game.

Look forward to your participating and giving your input ...... most importantly, we want all of you to have FUN !!!

Phil Murray

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

What a breath of fresh air! But then, I wouldn't expect anything else from Phil and White Flyer.

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

What a neat idea.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hope it catches on. Sub gauge singles would be a very fun event.

8. The Stive

The Stive Member

That would be a lot of fun. I enjoy shooting 20ga and 28ga. I have tried 20ga
    at trap, but never 28. I am begining to think why not. John

9. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

What a great promotion! I'm sure that this will be to much fun and would like to thank in advance the promoters of of this event!Wish you tons of success!!!!

10. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I would like to give it a try using my Kolar.
    Pat Haskins

11. AWC

AWC Member

This winter I borrowed a pair of barrels for my K 80 , a 20 and a 28, both 30" there was no comparison between the two.The 20's were so much better for 16 yd shooting. I know everyone has a different opinion but to me the 20 is the way to go. I am aware there is no difference on skeet.

AWC

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Is post one, squad one still open, Phil? I'll find the full choke barrel to my 1100 and you can count me in. Great idea and thanks!

neil

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Better hope todd or wayno don't show up LOL

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Wonderful idea.

It is a lot of fun to shoot the 28. It is very funny when I do my flinch with the damn pull trigger.

It looks like I will be carrying two guns to the Grand this year.

Don Verna

15. Target13

Target13 Active Member

Thanks for all your responses so far - seems like there is interest here. Thanks Neil for the posting - appreciate your wanting to join in the fun ... I'll have a spot for you !!! AS for the LOL comment about hoping Todd Bender and Wayne Mayes from Skeet give it a try, would love to have them try it - both are among the top 28 Gauge Skeet Shooters in the World !!! With the targets and ammunition free and the ATA AIM Championships going on that Friday thru Sunday, I expect we'll have quite a few folks down shooting these 28 Gauge Trap Targets. I think you'll have a great time and be surprised at how well you can break Trap Singles with 28 Gauge # 8 or 7.5 loads.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Phil Murray

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Has permission been granted? HMB

17. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

A guy at our range bought a Ruger o/u 28 ga. and brought it to the range, He wanted me to try it out so I did, I used the full choke and broke a 22 with it. It seemed to hit targets hard and I did'nt see much difference in it and any guage except I shot quicker. I wish they would approve a sub guage 16 yard ATA event, It would separate a lot of people quickly I think. Great idea Phil!

18. saluki68

saluki68 TS Member

This is the best idea I've heard in a long time. Haven't shot any registered trap since last years Grand (time & allocation of economic resourses, eg going to Bolivia next week to shoot doves, yes with our 28's)and had pretty much written off going to the Grand this year. This opportunity has changed my mind & I think I will go. Thanks Phil!

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I agree with most of the above.

This may be the thing to revitalize registered shooting......Who knows

Regards....Gerald

20. Target13

Target13 Active Member

YES - this is a "go". The ATA EC and Mike Hampton have embraced this idea 110%. We are currently developing a impressive list of Industry Sponsors and once everyone is on-board, I'll publish those that will participate.

Stay tuned for more details ...

Phil Murray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.