1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Small engine problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ron (vt), Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

I'm having an idling problem with a 18 hp Vanguard engine. It starts up fine but when I go to push in the choke, it starts stumbling (actually I think its missing) and stalls out. If you only push in the choke about 1/4 of the way it runs better but you can still feel it miss once in a while when you put you hand in front of the exhaust. The plugs are only two years old, put new fuel filter in, new fuel and gave a good blast of Sea Foam down through the carb. No change. Any ideas?? Thanks much. Ron

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

fresh gas and new plugs, or at least clean and regap the old ones. Larry

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It would indicate water in the carb bowl most of the time but may be trash in the main jet. I don't remember if it has a drain plug on the carb or not. If not drop the bowl and see if it has water. Should end the problem if water if not, check carb jets. Most of the time it's a simple fix. Jackie B.

4. moserag

moserag Member

When it first starts, is there smoke out the exhaust? If so, or even if not so, check the spark arrestor. Also, clean the carb, paying good attention to the jet and transition ports and sprsy some carb cleaner down the intake and run it under a full load for at least a half-hour.
    Dave

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ron, mix 2 oz's of Sea Form into one gallon of gas. Let the motor run normally and use as needed. This will clean up the carb on its own. Same thing happened to my lawn mower as I kept it outside in shed. Started to run rough. Mixed Sea Form into the gas and it cleared up after the 3-4 mowing. I used about l l/2 ozs to the gallon. You can mix up to 2 oz's in the directions. I do believe it took a little time for it to work. It just kept sounding better each week I used it until I just didn't have the problem anymore. It will not fix itself the first day, but it will work. Now I use one oz. per gallon all the time in all my lawn motors 2 and 4 stroke. There working better now than they have in several years. Break-em all. Jeff

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If the feed tube to the main jet is also the float bowl holder, as in many Tecumseh carbs, look for a small horizontal hole near the base to be plugged. This has been the number one carb problem in my experience.

HM

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sounds like carb to me. Normal carb cleaner doesn't work very well. NAPA sells a carb cleaning kit (about $22) that comes in a one gallon can (looks like a paint can). The kit includes a basket that you put your parts in to dip and aggitate.

Take the carb apart and remove the jets, float bowl, needle and seat...etc and soak them for at least 24 hours.

Jb

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I agree with Tron but how ever I have had a engine do what yours is doing. All I did was take the cover off the bottom of the carb that is for the float. It is located at the bottom of the carb and in the middle of the cover is a nut. ONLY TURN THE CENTER NUT. NOT THE ONE TO THE SIDE OF THE COVER. Take the nut off and remember gas will come out. It might stick to the gasket but it will come off. If you have a gas cut off cut the gas off. I don't have one. If not work fast. Have a can of carb cleaner spray at hand when doing so and clean the bottom of the carb and clean the cover. Put it all back to gether and see what happens. If that doesn't work then you have to go with what Tron suggested.

I have done this out in the field and it took care of the problem. All it was was some trash had gotten in the bowl and blocked the jets.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sea Foam baby...Sea Foam..

Curt

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

A few years back, on one of my generators,(Small Coleman) the gas dried up and I had to take a small drill and actually drill out the green looking dried up stuff out of the needle seat hole. I got lacquer thinner and it would not even wipe out of the bottom of the float bowl. I used scotchbrite to scrub it out.

When I put it back together it still needed a little choke to run right. I am just to lazy to have to do it all over again. Need to drill it out just a little more. I just leave the choke out a little. Maybe this year I will re do it.

I too have heard Sea Foam is good and will try it first. Now on my outboard I need to locate the little round curved plugs you pop out to clean the carburetor. Boat shop said I would have to buy the whole kit to just get the plugs.I will try Sea Foam here first too.Ray

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sea Foam is great for preventing carb problems, but it's not going to fix anything.

12. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Sounds like it's been sitting a long time Ron. The gas has turned to a varnish and more that likely pluged the idle/mid range circut of the carb. The only way to repair it is to remove the carb, get a new kit (gaskets, needle & seat, etc.) and give it a good cleaning. Blow all the passages, idle tube, jets, out with compressed air and put it back together with mfg. new settings and it will run just fine. Next time you are going to put it away for a while, drain the tank and run the gas out of the carb. That works better that fuel stablizer.

Cheers,

George

13. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Have had many over the years, you will most likely have to remove the bowl and clean out the jet passages and air bleeds with carb spray. Once in a while the
    carb spray wont work if a passage is totally clogged with hard dried sediments.
    I have good luck with an assortment of pins and sewing needles to poke through
    the clogged orifice. If there is none, you might add an inline fuel filter. Home Depot sells a briggs and stratton one that is cheap and works well.

14. robertb

robertb TS Member

Ron
    The engine seems to be starving for more fuel if it demands the choke to run.Possible causes:fuel system blockage(pretty well covered already)gas cap vent blocked(doubtful)Possible exhaust blockage(wasp nest are common)or other engine problems masking the real cause.If this condition happened suddenly, it could an engine ignition misfire caused by a failing coil(testable) or even a sticky exhaust valve(a known problem with the vanguard series).you've got some detecive work ahead of you,but if you carefully eliminate each possible cause of failure,you'll solve your problem
    Bob

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One Word: CLEANDCARBLIKETRONSAID

16. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

You will have to remove the carb and spray out your needles and seats to get rid of the varnish and gum.

Seat the needles to the bottom and count the turns so you can duplicate it when you put the carb back together. Then back out the needles and remove them so you can clean the holes.

Use gumout or carb cleaner and clean all the orifices and then dry with compressed air.

Clean the float bowl needle while you are at it.

If you notice any dry or cracked gaskets replace them.

Kenny U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tough small engine problems