1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Small engine advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jjv1234, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

Need some advice concerning a lawn mower engine. I have a 6.5 hp Toro self-propelled push mower and the tank was inadvertently filled with and ran for about 30 minutes on gas for the weedeater. Two-cycle fuel mixed at 40:1 with a synthetic blend. The mower tank should have been at least half full of regular gas prior to putting the blended fuel in so it did not run on the full 40:1 mix for that time, maybe 80:1 or less.

I would assume that I should at least drain the remaining fuel from the tank? Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks for any advice.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have done this before and I just ran it out with no ill effects from it other than the obvious smoke in the exhaust.

3. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Just fouls the plug a little and lubricates the valves. No harm. Use it up, at the end of the season, I dump all the lawn mower/weedeater fuel in my pickup.

4. mike T

mike T Member

years a go we had a lawn mower repair guy who ran mixed gas in everything he worked on. As stated above just lubricated sutff some and may have fouled a plug but doubtful.
    mike t

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Years ago, at the end of our vacation, my dad added about 3 gallons of 16:1 outboard mix (for an early fifties 5 hp Evinrude) to the gas tank of a 1958 Plymouth station wagon. We left a trail of smoke from Michigan to Kentucky but no harm was done. My dad drove that vehicle for another 5 years and it had well over 150,000 miles on it before he bought another Plymouth station wagon.

Ed Ward

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

It's o.k. to put a gzas oil mix in a 58 Plymouth or a 4 cycle lawn mower, but I think you stand a good chance of wrecking an expensive catalytic converter on the newer cars. Mike

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just don't make a habit of running mixed oil-fuel in a conventional 4stroke. it can cause it to run lean, and that causes excessive heat.

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

fill it again with gas, clean the plug and enjoy your luck. I bought a Lawnboy one time, took it home, fired it up and it siezed almost immediately. The A-hole I bought it from did me a big favor and filled it for me before I picked it up. With straight gas. Back then, a short block cost me $28. This was in '68. My son was still using it in 2000.

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

No problem at all, you just lubed up the internals a bit. I wouldn't even worry about the plugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.