1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Dings in Wood: How to Raise?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

I'm in midst of refinishing a walnut stock for a field 303. The wood is nice and dark, but has some small dents. Very small, but one can see them. What is the best way to raise a dent in wood? Does one use a steam iron and cloth method, hold area under hot, almost boiling water, put in microwave, oven, or???

Or is there any kind of filler product that is easy to use, durable, and looks good/blends in?

I plan to spray the stock, when prepared, with a gloss finish made for furniture. This gun is "just a shooter", but I like my stuff to be neat and maintained in appearance.

Latter two I'm semi-kidding, but one never knows.

Appreciate anybody who knows and has been there and done that. I'm admittedly lazy when it comes time to try and reinvent any kind of wheel.

BTW, the factory glossy finish comes off very easily, surprised me. That's a good thing thus far...

Thanks,

David

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Once the finish is removed and it is bare wood, you can take a wet cloth and a clothes iron and steam the dent up. Lay the wet rag on the dent and lightly iron the dent thru the rag. It should raise the grain in the dent. You may have to do it several times to get it where you like it.

3. sixten38

sixten38 Member

There are a number of products/devices the are out there to remove dents in pool cues, might try that avenue. I know a pro cue maker who does uses a clothes steamer to try to raise dents and dings.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

David, Automotive clear coat will work much better

5. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

Just curious, why would one use an automotive clearcoat, when there are products out there to be placed directly on wood? Just wondering and looking for opinions, I have a stock on my winter to-do list.
    Thanks

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use a wet cloth(high power rifle cleaning patch) and a soldering iron to raise small dents. Practice on a piece of soft pine before you do the stock. The auto clear coat is a durable finnish. HMB

7. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

This is really following the same concept as the iron/wet cloth method, but I find it easier to do:

Put a small puddle of denatured alcohol over the dent (i.e., fill the dent and let it run a little over the edge), then light the alcohol with a match. It sounds silly, but the alcohol burns away without damaging the wood at all and produces enough water vapor to raise the dent. You might have to do this a few times to raise a deeper dent, but it truly does work very well.

--Dan

8. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I have used the wet cloth and iron many times and it works well. Walnut is very dense so you will need to repeat the process several times depending on the dent. There is little danger of hurting the wood but the finish may suffer if it is not durable. If the wood grain/fiber is crushed or cut it will need a filler to smooth it out. Usually a slurry created by sanding will suffice unless it is really gouged which will require a commercial filler. It is pretty basic once you learn it. Hope this helps.

Doc

9. cueguy

cueguy Member

Being a retired custom pool cue maker, this is what I did for dings in pool cue shafts. Never failed. Take a small wad of toilet paper, soak it in water and place directly on the ding. It will dry out over night and raise the wood. How you finish it from there is up to you, spray, oil, etc. I will say I never tried this on anything but cue shafts, but you got nothing to lose.
    Nubs Wagner

10. cueguy

cueguy Member

Being a retired custom pool cue maker, this is what I did for dings in pool cue shafts. Never failed. Take a small wad of toilet paper, soak it in water and place directly on the ding. It will dry out over night and raise the wood. How you finish it from there is up to you, spray, oil, etc. I will say I never tried this on anything but cue shafts, but you got nothing to lose.
    Nubs Wagner

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks cue guy, darn I always learn something useful here at TS.Com And thanks to our webshost David Van Elgort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

raising a wood ding