1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slumps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I seem to have hit a slump and am trying to figure it out. I am not a long time shooter by any means (6-7 years) but had the typical growing pains over those years. But, the last 3 years I have been as consistant as my grandmother attending church. Not perfect or great scores like some of you but avg around 46. give or take a rock or two but ALWAYs consistant. Then I go out and shoot a 39-41-42-43-40.... Im thinking wtf did I do?? One thing i did change is I dropped to a ultralight load 1100FPS but this has got to be in my head... Question, What do you really good shooters do to get out of a slump? or do you even slip into them anymore?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Slump? What is a slump? ROFLMAO! All kidding aside, the shells you switched to are playing a bigger part in this, whether you think so or not. 4 rounds of trap that are sub-par hardly qualifies as a slump. Shoot about 500 targets with the same loads and then see if you are still in a "slump". My guess is that you will be right back to where you were, and perhaps even better shooting the lighter loads..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You made a change and it didn't work. Go back to the ammo you used to use and your slump will be over. HMB

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The dreaded slump is the scoresheet reminder that you are doing something wrong. Since the slump doesn't appear to be a passing thing, it is a good bet that you are dillegently practicing that wrong thing(s). Get some professional help with this, it is money well spent. Phil Kiner helped me out quite a bit, actually his advice turned my long yardage handicap game around. There are other pros that have similar success stories, I just don't know them.

But what ever you do, don't just keep on throwing lead up in the air hoping to break targets. You need to diagnose the problem and adjust your shooting accordingly.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Have you considered the possibility that your new load of 1100 fps might require you to give your targets more lead than when you were shooting your faster shells?
    FWIW. jm

6. steve coker

steve coker Member

It is always a good idea to pattern your gun when making changes like this, you might want to get in the habit of doing so.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

As Steve said, new load=pattern board. Your gun/choke might not like it, and have a lot of holes in the pattern. Wayne

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Sometimes this is caused by what professional athletes call "pressing". This means that you may be trying too hard which alters your form and/or technique. You must try to relax before each shot. I know it sounds contradictory but you must relax and concentrate at the same time. The way to do this is to concentrate on the target you are about to call for and not think about anything else. All the other things like "is my mount correct", "is my head firmly against the stock", etc. need to be addressed before you call for the target. When you are ready to call, concentrate ONLY on the target.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Seems like "slumps" start with one or two missed targets, then the shooter lets the "slump" idea slip into his/her thinking and then anxiety which leads to "head lifting" takes over as the shooter worries/focuses on missing. Then, the shooter raises his/her head (ever so slightly and unconsciously) to look at the next target...setting the stage for another miss. One thought: when target(s) is/are missed and the next target is broken, focus on the positive - "Hey, the "slump" is OVER!" Helps me...along with a concerted effort to keep my head firmly planted on the stock. Best Regards, Ed

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

New shells are the problem? Maybe. Maybe not. Easy to find out. Try some of your old ammo and see if you still a have a problem. No sense doing anything else until you find out if ammo is the problem.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you shoot long enough, you will have many slumps. Seems when I change anything it takes 3 months to get back where I was.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Most of us shoot singles with shells that travel near 1150 ft/sec. Your shell of 1100 ft/sec is not significantly different assuming that is the actual velocity. Test your shells, do not take the numbers from a manual. Another possibility is that the very light load may result in a chamber pressure that is too low for consistent powder burning. Manuals present safe loads, not necessarily good loads.

But, if your shell is good, then you are making a fundamental error. The most common is head lifting and not staying in the gun. Please do not do what I do when I am shooting poorly. I start worrying and I change all sorts of things until I finally think about going back to the basics.

Try this. Mount your gun firmly and stay in the gun well after it goes of. See the target clearly and concentrate on breaking the next one. Pay no attention to your score. Have fun.

Pat Ireland