1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slump

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Any tips for recovering from a slump? For the past 3-4 weeks I've had a terrible downward trend and the more I shoot lately the worse I'm doing. It's just about to the point where I don't want to shoot anymore because every time I do it feels like I'm just falling deeper into a rut.

2. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Quit shooting for a month..

Shoot skeet or sporting during that time..

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Check you trigger pull or let off. Sometimes it's not you.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Build on success. Next time you break a target...just one target...tell yourself that the slump is over. Make it positive. Then go on and break the next target. Nothing to it. Been there...done that. Best Regards, Ed

5. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Rich,

Get up to MT MORRIS and shoot that steel plate. You will learn more in 10 shots, then you will learn from 100 shots when you do not know what the problem is.

Ron Burdick

From sunny SC

6. warren

warren Member

It took me over three years to get out of mine, I finally went to a Kiner Clinic and it took him about five minutes to show me what I was doing. In my opinion no amount of practice would have gotten me out of it, you've got to know what you doing wrong before you can fix it.

warren

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Try a Slump Buster. Athletes in all major professional sports use them.

-Gary

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Slumps are started between the ears. We start wondering and thinking too much. Do I need a diff. gun? Is it my reloads? Is it these cheaper 100 packs of shells? Do they put soft shot in these 100 packs. Are my hold points wrong? The mine cluttering goes on and on. You take the line and you are thinking about everything except breaking the target. I made some small changes today and did run a 24x25 Handicap on my best field. Friday 22x25 was my best field. Experiment with some minor changes. Go back to basics. You have to shoot your way out of a slump. An extended layoff will not help. Most of us have been there,done that. Your confidence will come back. We get it by doing. Clyde

9. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Sounds like you've lost that loving feeling! You're one of the best, that's what you've trained for. You're not going to be satisfied unless you're smoking 25's, so do the "Top Gun" thing, have a good time!

Harry

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Ron,

I hit the pattern board a few weeks ago but need to get out and do it again. This past Wednesday I went out and shot a 20/25 after taking a week off, I just couldn't reliably break birds. Two weeks ago at the Springwater ATA shoot I shot a 93, I missed 4 birds on my first field and then I shot an 86 in caps, which could had been 2-4 birds better but I just didn't care. I wanted to get it done with because I just didn't want to be there anymore.

I'll hit the pattern board again this week and see if I can notice any problems.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I also agree, go shoot some skeet and Sporting clays for a period of time and then try again. In this heat may I suggest you try standing under a the roofs of the Sporting clays stations, and at least stay in the shade while shooting!!! Break-em all. Jeff

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Electrical shock treatment. It really changes your focus, because when you know you still have to go back it makes you concentrate much more.

13. fishguts

fishguts Member

I would guess, IMHO, that there is some distraction taking place in your life.

Wayne

14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

You are doing something different, or something wrong,if you don't know what it is, you are going to just keep practising your mistakes.Find someone that might be able to spot what if anything you are doing different..

Like Clyde said....get back to basics, than go forward.....

15. white rattler

white rattler Member

I have been in one for the last year. With over 445,000 registered targets behind me I can not even bring myself to drive out to a Trap Club, Trevor Dawe.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If shooting a pull trigger you might want to examine your trigger control especially if your missing is clueless. Sometimes those occasional flinches are an indicator of a bigger problem!!

17. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Ask someone you shoot with to let you try their gun. If you find that you shoot even a little bit better then maybe something is wrong with your gun. Don't be so quick to put the blame on yourself, a lot of people do when in fact the trigger or something else on their gun has changed dramatically. I know from experience that a trigger that varies in poundage can turn almost any AA shooter to crap in a hurry! If the shot looks good and you had good follow through then something is wrong with the gun. It probably isn't shooting where your looking. Set the trap to straight aways and stand on station three. Shoot several targets, a couple of boxes if need be, and see if you are centering the targets. If not then adjust the comb to get the desired hits. Try to notice the little things! If you catch yourself flipping the gun up with you left hand (assuming you are a right handed shooter) then the gun is probably shooting too flat. If you seem to be short shooting the targets a lot (gun going off before you catch the target) then the trigger pull is probably too light. Have you changed loads lately? If so that could be causing a problem. Try to keep a log so when slumps do occur you can go back and analyze what has changed. You can PM me if you want anymore suggestions. Good Luck!

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hey White Rattler. You don't look like it's fun anymore. Attitude is everything.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Rich..I know the feeling well.....just doesn't matter to me that much any more...

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

If is NOT fun when you are shooting badly.

You need someone that knows what they are doing to watch you. Self appraisal is difficult. If there is no one you trust, have someone video tape you. In the video look for head position, staying in the gun, arm flipping, barrel movement (are you making a "Z" - anticipating?) etc.

You will not miss because of shells. That is easy to test anyway. Shoot 100 birds with new AA's or STS's.

I do not believe that running away will solve much. You need to understand what has changed and/or is not working and why.

Have you gone on any new medications, has your vision changed, gained or lost significant weight, had issue at work or your relationships etc etc?

Here is the good news. If you shot well before, you will shoot well again.

Most shooters switch guns. At least it gives an excuse for shooting badly and it is fun to play with a new toy - for a while at least. Probably the worst investment you can make. If you want to spend money, invest in a lesson with one of the top guns.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fixing trapshooting slump
shooting slump

trap shooting slump