1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slugs or Buckshot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FNG, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I have an invitation (request) to help a farmer reduce some feral hogs that are tearing up his crops. We'll be shooting from blinds, over bait, in some dense brush and rugged country. The shooting will be close, probably inside 30 - 40 yds. He suggested a large caliber rifle with open sights (which I don't own) or a shotgun with 00 Buckshot. I'm planning to use my goose gun (Benelli M2, smooth bore) My question is; would slugs be better than Buckshot and which choke should be used for each ? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You need a loose choke unless the slug of your choice says otherwise.

My pal just went through hell finding slugs that work in one of his guns. The 15 dollar a box ones didn't do well, but the 7 dollar ones did. Go figure.

Point is, shoot the gun with a couple different ones and use what works.

My pump uses the cheapest available slugs very well, lucky me.

HM

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not a slug expert but I do get very good results out to 50 yards using conventional Remington rifled slugs in a smooth bore with minimal choke. I carry a few slug loads when hunting one of my favorite quail spots that also has a few feral hogs. I can tell you that the slug puts the pigs down right now. Accuracy even with a simple bead front sight is more than acceptable for the shooting distances you mentioned.

My advice to you is to get some of the less expensive slug loads and take them out for a plinking session. You will get a good idea of their accuracy potential from this and have a bunch of fun to boot. Avoid shooting these loads from a bench position, it gets painful real fast.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Open choke and slugs is what I'd use. I have a rifled slug barrel form my 1100 trap gun that I deer hunt with and it wiorks out well for me.

5. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try with the slugs.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It depends if you care about the hog dying quicky or not

buckshot- unlikely it will die fast even if hit by a pellet in a vital area

slug- likely it will die fast if hit in a vital area-

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I use to hunt these in the old country and we would use a slug for the first shot and buckshot for the second and third and fourth. The reason being those hogs could really move very fast especially if they were scared of or wounded so that you need the a wider spread than just that of a slug to hit them. for what its worth. jm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.