1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slugs loaded with conventional wads ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slide action, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Does anybody shot slugs using conventioal wads and closed crimps in hunting senerios. I have been curious as to results of this and if it is practical. I have shot some on paper and the groups printed are REASONABLE for a normal 12 Ga. at 50 yards, but have not employed these for actual hunting. Also wondering what velocity is consistanant with a 12 Ga. "tactical" slug.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have been playing with Lee slugs. different loadings. I use my PW and shut off the shot station, there I drop the slug into the 1 oz AA wad and crimp as usual. It is not a real roll crimp, but it leaves part ogf the slug exposed... no mistaking it for a Trap load! :)

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Leaving a small portion showing sounds like a good idea!

4. GunCSI

GunCSI TS Member

If you're wanting something to practice with, although, it'd work for hunting at a reasonable range, try a .69 caliber ball dropped into a regular wad. Depends on the load and gun but works pretty well out to 50 yards. Cheaper than buying factory slugs for practice. Have used it in the past with acceptable results.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've shot quite a few of both the Lees and the Lyman sabot slugs. I've roll crimped and fold crimped and can see no real difference. What I have found out is that new (once fired only) AA cases and a fold crimp with the Lyman cast medium hard (half and half wheelweight/pure lead) in Federal 12S3 wads and Universal Clays powder give me the best groups from both my Hastings rifled barrel on an 870 and from a Remington cantilever barrel with rifled choke tube on an 11-87. Groups at 50 yards run around 3 inches. Lees seem to be a little looser groupwise. It is hard to get a uniform roll crimp that keeps pressure on the slug and does not collpse the wad column. I've been meaning to try card/fiber wads under just the cup but there has been too much shootin/huntin/travelin' to do lately. Good luck and I'd love to share information on the homebrew slug party. Take a look at the Slug Shooter website for more info on just how good they can be.

6. labber

labber TS Member

I started using homebrewed slugs this year, A lyman 525 pure lead cast slug, federal case, waa12f114 wad, win. 209 primer,33.6 grains powder. this load shot through my m1 Benelli, with an E.R. shaw custom barrel holds 3in. groups at 100yd. Similar groups occur with my 1187 with Hastings barrel. Velocities are 1357 fps ave. I killed 4 deer this season with this load. Personally I do not like to see my slug showing,I had to adj. my crimping stages to close the gap. As for shell determination just paint your primers white or blaze orange. These stand up with any Hastings, Barnes, federal or any other manufactured slug. Ive test loaded over 250 rds. prior to this season if i can help you please let me know Joel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lyman 525 slug