1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sluggish 1100??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My 1100 28 gauge skeet gun aint what she used to be.. when I drop a shell in and push the button it sometimes needs help closing the action all the way, its clean and oiled.. I'm wondering if it needs a new action spring or can you stretch the one thats in there.. thanks!

2. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

I agree with Pat. New spring. You can stretch your current spring but it is temporary fix.

Joe

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Factory shells or reloads? HMB

4. 2wheeltodd

2wheeltodd TS Member

Same problem with my 1100, and my buddies 1187. I had 3 missed cycles shooting a round of sporting clays. The gun would not cycle the second round. My friends 1187 wouldn't eject the first shell at all.

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Reloads, I havent shot a factory 28 in years.. I do manualy run each shell through the gun before i shoot just to make sure they feed ok.. thanks,I'll order the spring!

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

You may also want to check a couple of things when you are looking the gun over. Are the action bars (the things that connect the open cylinder that the gas from the barrel pushes on) intact and not cracked on one side or maybe both. A cracked bar could cause a bind as they slide back into the receiver. Also, are there any bright or shiny spots on the magazine tube? If so, the cylinder might be binding slightly on the magazine tube. Be especially careful to check where the action bars slip into that cylinder. A to tight fit here can generate problems.

Check to be sure that the receiver was not dropped or hit by something that might have bent it where the action bars go into it.

Be sure to clean the tube with the recoil spring in it. Also check to be sure that the tube is not warped, bent or dented. Also be sure to check the link, (the tuning fork) for cracks or worn edges, and the piston that connects the link to the recoil spring could have a problem. It should be able to slide freely in the tube. Any binding or roughness should be examined and corrected. You might want to get the steel version of this piston. Some people have reported problems with the aluminum version. I have not run into an aluminum problem but that does not mean iy doesn't exist.

2wheeltodd,

You may want to check the action bars also. About 1/3 of the way down the bar on one side is a small raised portion with an angled edge. This is what trips the shell release to let a shell out of the magazine into the receiver. I have had this part wear down where feeding the shell became an iffy thing. The problem was worse in colder weather. You can try twisting the cylinder one way or the other when working the cylinder by hand as if the gun were cycling. If you find it feeds reliably when the cylinder is twisted one way but does not feed with the cylinder twisted the other way, you may have found your problem area. I had some hard chrome micro welding done on one bar to build it up and then I shaped it to the needed angle. That bar worked reliably for several months but did eventually fail at the weld point. I figure the heat stress changed the steel enough that it eventually broke under the stress.

The fail to eject would need more info to try to come up with a solution. It might be bad o-ring, bad gas ring, bad ammo, broken extractor or spring, dirty chamber, worn parts in the trigger group or a number of other things.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Powder residue can collect in the tube where the action spring lives.

Old time Red Dot shooters are very familiar with this. Easy fix.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.