1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SLUG GUNS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Terminator, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

Just wanted to know what your favorite slug gun is .What type of barrel (smooth or rifled )? What type of sight and what type of ammo? What kind of group can you shoot?
    If money is no object,what would the ultimate rig and ammo be for white tail deer in farm country? ( long range shooting )
    Thank you.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Mine is an older Remington 1187 turkey gun, fully camo'd, 21" smoothbore barrel with rifle sights. I'm getting 2.5" to 3" groups at 100 yards with Remington 2-3/4" Sluggers through a modified choke. These slugs like a bit of choke. I added a Remington R3 recoil pad, and the gun is very controllable. Another nice modification for Remington rifle sighted slug barrels is that Trijicon makes a 3-dot tritium night sight set for them. They work well in dim light, like at dusk and dawn.<br>
    <br>
    A good book for slug hunting is "Shotgunning for Deer" by Dave Henderson (Stoeger Books). Amazon, Borders and Mao Mart has it. It covers a multitude of guns, discusses the merits and drawbacks of them, as well as more slugs than you've ever heard of. Also goes into custom guns and the factory bolt action slug guns. Also has mods like pinning the barrel to the receiver for pump and autos to increase accuracy.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

maybe I just have not spent much time testing ,,,,,,but my 870 smooth bore with the remington sluggers gives me the best so far sub 100y

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mine is a Winchester Model 1897, Riot/Trench gun, manufactured in 1917. It was the property of the NJ State Police and had been kept at the old Kearney, NJ barracks until 1972 at which time all the old guns were transferred to Sea Girt for disposal.

I had a gunsmith trick it out for deer hunting here in Delaware and Maryland. I have had the stock lengthened and a 4X scope. Over the years the gun has taken many deer and is still a fine shooter(I have it shooting tight groups of 2 inches high at 50 yds.).

As I have since stopped deer hunting a few years ago, I have passed the gun along to my daughter and she hasn't missed one yet. No matter where we go with it, it always brings attention of other hunters and shooters. It's one of a kind.

Curt

5. Silverhawk

Silverhawk TS Member

Marlin 512....Many deer have fallen to it

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Sighted in a 20 ga. H&R Ultra slug Hunter for a customer Friday. Using Hornady SST slugs after initial scope adjustment I got a 3 shot group at 100 yds less than 1". Not much recoil either with the heavy barrel.

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Rem. 870 smooth bore and reloaded slugs. under 3 inch at 100 yards.

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

my smooth bore 1100 works great with foster type slugs, but the fully rifled sabots must be much more accurate. They say 2" groups at 100 yds with a scope. That would be pretty tough to beat.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If money is no object , Check out Tar Hunt ,a true custom gun starting at $2500 .They are the best bar none . Second and very close is the Ithaca Deerslayer 3 followed by the Deerslayer 2. Go to the Ithaca website and watch them shoot three consecutive 4 inch groups at 200 yards with 3 different slugs. Number 4 would be the Tar hunt DSG-designated slug gun ,which is made from an 870 remington at about $1000. As far as scopes, buy the best you can afford. Jeff

10. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

I agree with xp100 except mine is 12 guage topped with a 1 x 4 scope. A real tack driver and cheap.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

S.D. and XP100 is onto a real bargain for slug hunters! I had one with a Redfield Widefield 2X7 and the accuracy was amazing! I did have to add some weight to the gun, bare boned, it had some man sized recoil. I won many long distant slug shoots with that gun out to 300 yards. Several deer later, a buddy wanted it worse than I so I sold it to him. Hap

12. james25889

james25889 Member

i have a 12 ga remington 870 wingmaster with a hastings slug barrel with a 4x weaver scope mounted on it 3 shots touch each other at 100 yards

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

the fully rifled Mossberg bolt actions- they dont make that gun anymore but if you did a trigger job (which you can do yourself) they are as good of a slug gun as has ever been made- better than the tar hunt- browing a bolt or savage for accuracy

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have no idea why people waste their time trying to get slug guns to produce a good pattern. The modern inline muzzleloader is far superior to anything shotgun wise that's available. The price is reasonable on the inline's and the choice of bullets and powder is also very good.

If you want to argue about a follow-up shot, then learn how to shoot first. It only takes one shot to ethically kill a deer! Anything more is wasted lead and powder.

ec90t

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Duhhhh ... et90t ... in some areas, rifles are not allowed! Even single shot black powder ones! Thus ... shotguns with slugs are the only game in town.

16. kriegart

kriegart Member

I use a 870 with a Hastings barrel and a 2X7 leupold shotgun scope.The trigger has been set up at 3.0 lbs. I load my own slugs. Active hull,23g Green dot and a Dangerous Game Slug followed up with a roll crimp. It shoots 1430 fps. at 9700 psi. Benched, I get a 1.25 inch group at 100 yard. Kriegart

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Mossberg my azz LOL They shoot reasonably well and thats it.And we are not talking muzzle loaders as they are not allowed in many places. Jeff

18. ec90t

ec90t Guest

What states don't allow muzzleloaders during gun season?

I know there are a few the have a "traditional" muzzleloader season, where inlines aren't legal.

and ahad,

If your going to make a remark about a poster, you may want to make sure of their sign-on name spelling first!

ec90t

19. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Mossberg 20 gauge, fully rifled barrell, cantilever scope mount. Good as any, better than most. Season opens here next Friday...........Roger

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Well now, I have been hunting in 2 shotgun only counties here for 40 years. Slug guns for the last 20. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

525 gr slugs

groups slug gun 100yds

shooting slugs with a trap gun

slug gun groups not tight

slugs from trap gun