1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slug gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TD1958, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD1958

TD1958 Member

For all of you that are slug gun hunters for deer, etc. I bought a new savage 220 bolt action. This thing is built for accuracy and let me tell you it will shoot. I shot some initial test patterns with it yesterday with federal expander 275 grain bullets and was really impressed. I had three shots touching at 50 yards. Moved to a hundred yards and 3 shot group opened to 1 1/4 in. I am sure with some trigger tuning and different slugs it may do better. Points and shoots like a high power rifle. Thumbs up to The people at savage. Tim

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

When you can touch 3 shots you are doing good. Jeff

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Congrats on not being constipated

4. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Ok, i guess i deserve it. Any how good gun. Tim

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim..we've all done it too..glad you have a sense of humor about it...Glad your gun is a shooter...let me know if you get a deer so I can forward my address where to send some jerky

6. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Will do!!!

7. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Just got a 220. What did you use for rings and bases? I'm thinking about the DNZ one piece. Thanka Ken

8. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I bought the one piece base and redfield med. rings to clear the bolt. Good luck, Tim

9. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

I just bought one, and used a complete Weaver set up. Got the multi slot base, and high rings. I use a 3.5x10x44 Swift scope, so I need the clearance for the bell. Shot it today. Tried 4 loads, and Federal Barnes Expanders(2.75") work best. I have an older Savage 210 slug gun, and put many a deer to sleep permanetly with this slug. Need to try some Accu-Tip slugs yet, but am more than satisfied with the results so far. I live in PA where rifles are the norm, but I'd rather cary my slug gun or inline over my .280 or .06 on any given day!!

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I did a lot of testing with the Hastings rifled barrel on my 1100. I'm convinced slug barrels are very finicky. Every gun will shoot different brands of slugs and results are wildly varied.

I've probably tried eight different brands. The best in my gun were Federal Premium Barns Expander P151XS. I can stay under a 2" group at 100 yards. They have replaced them with a tipped Barnes Expander now, I still have about 4 boxes of the regular ones.

Try several brands and see what is best, though from what your saying, I doubt you will get much better groups than 1-1/4". They're not cheap, but I love the Federal Sabots.

SW

11. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

Well, I broke in the new slug gun today here in PA's opening deeer season. I ended up going with the Remington Accu-Tip. I retrieve the slug, and was just a chunk of mushroomed lead. He dropped in in tracks, about 25yd shot. Not a big 8pt rack, but very nice deer. I'll continue to use these Remington's this year, and after the season, I'll restock with Federal Barnes Expanders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

replacemnt for federal p151xs