1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slug Gun-Best

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tough to beat the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in either 20ga. or 12ga. I happen to have the 12ga. with bull barrel. It is actually a 10ga. barrel blank bored for 12ga. That makes it an extremly heavy barrel which adds to both accuracy and recoil reduction. I shoot the 300 grain Hornady SST Sabot Slugs. Sighted in at just under 2 1/2" high at 50yds, its dead on at 150yds. This is not your spot and stalk gun though. This gun is quite heavy and works best shooting with a rest of some sort.

grntitan_2009_2503321.jpg

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Savage 220 bolt action 20 ga. is very accurate. I have sold several and everyone so far is very happy with them. Less than 2" groups at 100yds. with the right sabot slug

3. tomr1

tomr1 Member

I second the Savage 220!!! This is an amazing gun and extremely affordable.

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I have both the Savage 210F bolt action (the 12 gauge version of the 220) and the 870 Super Slug which are both dedicated slug guns.

They both shoot well, but I would say both have some pros and cons.

Savage 3 shots (when I hunt in IL this is all you can have anyway) and the 870 5 shots which I like when I'm in MN.

The main thing for me is that when I'm hunting from a stand I'll shoot off the rail and after that first shot I can work the bolt pretty quick whereas with the 870 you have to pick up the gun to pump the next shell in.

Savage has a better trigger but there are plenty of after market triggers available for 870s

Eye relief for a scope is far better on the 870, the thing comes up and fits very nice.

5. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Remington 11-87 with Hastings full rifled barrel with Nikon BDC Slug Hunter scope, shooting Hastings 3" mag slugs give me a 1.5" group at 100 yards and 3" at 200 yards. This is a tough combo to beat.

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Both guns I mentioned mount on receiver but the 870 barrel is affixed to the receiver with an extra screw to make it more solid and accurate. Savage is basically a rifle with a very solid connection too.

I shoot Hornadys out of the 870 with the Nikon BDC scope and Lightfield Hybrids out of the Savage. I'll probably switch to the same scope and cartridge this year, that scope is meant to work with a 2000 fps cartridge.

7. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have a Remington 870 Super Slug fitted with a Nikon BDC Slughunter scope. i have fired it 6 times to site it in. It is deadly accurate and would be interested in selling it because I never use it. It is no different than a new one. I also have about 6 boxes of sabots for it as well. These superslugs are some of the most accurate slug guns in production. email me if interested.

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Look at the Mossberg 695 Slug Gun,

I really like mine, the only reason I have it was to hunt on the military Fort, no HP rifles, but slug guns are allowed..

9. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I have a Browning A-Bolt with a 2-7 Leupold on it that is incredibly accurate. Also has an excellant trigger. The year after I got mine they discontinued them but they brought them back last year. From what I have seen you can't go wrong with the Savage either.

10. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I had an 870 with a Hastings Rifled barrel that I used until I shot the Savage 220 in 20 ga. Man what a shooter!!! I whole heartedly recomend the Savage 220

Oscar

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hard to find a bad one...I have a cantilever rifled barrel for my Browning BPS..works awesome and also a Marlin Bolt action both scoped ...are you looking for a whole gun or have a pump or auto or even a break open like the H&R that you can just upgrade with a barrel (thats usually the cheapest way) For what its worth my BPS is my most accurate slugger even though its a separate barrel/receiver

12. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

The Savage 220-F is the most accurate.

Scout

13. Robster7

Robster7 Member

The Remington 870 slug gun with a Leupold 3 X 9 has performed well for me on at least 9 deer using Winchester 1 oz sabots or Remington Copper Solids. Accuracy is about 3" or less with both rounds for three shot groups at 100 yards. I have also tried the 20 gauge version, but found the terminal ballistics, vis-a-vis penetration, to be far less than desired for dropping an animal in its tracks reliably. Do not forget the effects of recoil if 12guage 3" mgnums are considered....scope bites and delayed follow-up shots can be an issue unless good shooting form and regular practice, notwithstanding ammunition prices, are realized.

14. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

I'm with Grntitan, best slug gun made for the money. Easy to customize.
    Bruce
    bullettheturtle_2010_230496.jpg

bullettheturtle_2010_230497.jpg

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

averaged_2008_0303376.jpg

Before they were available to the public, I did a gun review on a Super Slug for Shotgun Sports Magazine. Being a complete novice with regard to slug guns, I found this one to be much like a .22LR - very ammo-sensitive. Our son and I test-fired eight different saboted slug loads with widely varying accuracy results.

averaged_2008_0303377.jpg

averaged_2008_0303378.jpg

One thing you will have to accept is that centerfire rifle-like accuracy probably won't be in the cards for you with a slug gun. Our best three-shot, 100-yard group was 1.762" and was not easily repeatable. We did see a definite pattern of the hotter three-inch shells generally not being as accurate as the 2-3/4" ones.

I use all Leupold scopes and mounted a VX-1 Muzzleloader/Shotgun scope in 3-9x 40mm with a 2" sunshade and Leupold Aluma lens covers. The Shotgun/Muzzleloader series are set to be parallax-free at a shorter distance (75 yards) than centerfire rifle scopes (150 yards), so it's important to use the right scope. I didn't get their UltimateSlam with its SA.B.R. reticle because I wanted a simpler one for possibly quick shots in a dark woods setting.

Oh yeah - they kick a little, too!

Ed

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Intersting gun. Pinning the barrel is an old trick for the 870/1100/1187 slug guns. Some use screws.

I don't like the buttstock. Tried one on a turkey gun. The sharp edge at the rear almost laid my face open.

Interesting scope mount, in two ways. First, they must figure pinning the barrel is adequate for scope to bore alignment. Second, some gunsmiths caution against drilling and tapping in that area for scope mounts, because some of the top of the receiver is pretty thin.

It's nice to see Remington getting serious about slug guns. I've been tempted to get a fully rifled 1187 20ga barrel, because though the 20ga sabot slugs are lighter, they are also flatter shooting than the 12ga sabot slugs.

BTW, did you try the Buckhammer slugs? Or are they even made anymore?

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 209952

Poor photo of my "do-all" gun. Camo'd 1187. This is the 21" smooth bore Rem Choke turkey barrel that I installed Trijicon tritium night sights on for coyote hunting. I also use it for deer hunting with slugs. Sabot slugs won't work in it, not even with a rifled choke tube. But the old 2-3/4" Remington Sluggers are cutting a sub-3" group at 100 yards through a mod choke.

I prefer a rifle for deer hunting, but this is an excellent setup for very dense woods.

BTW, I have other barrels for it. But the one I missed getting was the camo'd fully rifled one with rifle sights. Snoozers are loozers.

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Brian, I used most of the slugs that are generally available in this area except Winchester. If it's in the photo above, I tried it.

The scope mounts are rock-solid, something that is important on a hard-kicker like a slug gun. Using only the Leupold scope's internal adjustments, we were able to quickly get it zeroed.

The barrel is retained by a Torx-head screw; "pinned" is Remington's marketing term.

averaged_2008_0303379.jpg

I also installed a Timney "870 Trigger Fix Kit" as the trigger was a typical shotgun trigger - heavy and mushy. The Timney kit made a crisp three-pound rifle-like trigger out of it.

averaged_2008_0303380.jpg

Here is a shot of son Jason getting ready to shoot the gun (yes, he does wear shooting glasses when actually firing a gun). I struggle with how the edges of the stock could contact your face in a painful way.

averaged_2008_0303381.jpg

And before someone asks about the rifle ammo in that picture, I was test-firing a rifle while the Super Slug's barrel was cooling.

Ed

19. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Best for the dollar spent is the H&R heavey bbl fully rifled, followed by the Savage. Then you will go broke buying sabot slugs and trying different brands for accuracy. I cannot tell you how glad I was when Indiana allowed the limited range rifles. A box of 50 44mags for the same price of 10 slugs. All of my slug guns were sold in a month.

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I put together a Benelli(before anyone knew of the name, and before they called it a super black eagle)and an ER Shaw barrel. This was back in 1990.

A few years before, Benelli, ER Shaw, and a newcompany, BRI, were developing the sabot for shotgun hunting. I got to hunt with their very first rifled set up, but didn't shoot a deer that year.

Shooting Federal Supreme sabots, I could hold 3" groups at 200yds. Maybe the gun could shoot better, but I'm kind of flinchy with rifle shooting...I'm a trigger jerker.

I might be presuaded to sell the gun. I also have a High Standard pump gun, with a screw-in to receiver ER Shaw barrel. I've only sighted this one in at 100yds.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benelli slug gun
best rifled slug guns
browning slug gun
pinning remington 870 slug barrel
remington 870 super slug
scoped slug gun
slug gun technique

super black eagle er shaw barrel