1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SLR Performance chips for cars and trucks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

Any one used these and did your car performance improve , I was considering for my chevy truck and a honda prelude and car guys what do you think of chips . thanks Dave

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

I have a 1 ton Duramax and once the warranty is over, i will be considering a performance chip myself. My own experience with boosting performance is that there is usually a price to pay, usually longevity, but you just have to assess your needs and go for it.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have had one in my 07 F150 since new. I was advised that if I need to take it in to dealer to just reset back to factory settings which I have done. It can improve performance, shift points and how hard they shift among other things. It also has a setting to improve fuel mileage. I set mine for economy and got 22.3 MPG with cruise set at 57 MPH. Even though set in economy mode it is set for performnace for hard acceleration. It also changes rev limits and allows my 4.6 pickup to top out at around 125MPH instead of 98. I bought mine used off ebay for $250.00 which was almost half price. Verify that the unit has been reset to original if buying used. Any questions or additional info that I can help with call me at 912 449 1010 or email me. Jackie B.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I used a Hypertech II unit on my 2004 Ford Expedition. They are the first in the field, have the largest data base, and I found it to be the cheapest (FYI - search around - prices vary widely).

It is meant to be used with one VIN, and as far as I know it cannot be 're-set' except by the factory. Otherwise a used unit is just an error code reader for the car line (e.g., mine will read all error codes for any Ford - but can only program one engine - mine).

If you are worried about warranty Google Magnuson-Moss Act. You can use this unit to re-set to factory before taking the car in for dealer service.

The Hypertech allows you to program for higher octane or regular fuel, different tire size, shift points...

My truck went from 13 city / 18 highway to 18 city / 24 highway (I added an intake kit and an exhaust system at the same time).

Total cost was just over $500 for all three systems.

David D

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I know I could be wrong about yours but with my unit I can set my truck back to stock and it can be used on another vehicle. My son has a 2005 f150 4/4 with the bigger v8 engine and we installed it(I called the chip manufactorer before doing this to make sure it would work) in it to see what difference it made. He wanted to keep it but I reset it and put it back in mine. LOL

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

As an addendum...

I looked at the SLR Performance chip.Two comments...

First the Hypertech I talk about above is an outside unit that copies and then reprograms the on-board chip set of the vehicle - there is no physical modification you need do to the car. Hence it's one vehicle usability, and it's error code reading ability - all via the diagnostic port.

Second, the SLR chip is an 'add-on' chip - many of these require significant modification of the on-board chip set box of a vehicle (they typically piggy-back into the unit and over-ride the car's stored program - remove the chip and the original comes back into play) - often this involves opening the case of the car's 'brain." The SLR unit appears to NOT require this modification.

The lack of modification being noted I am not so sure of the quality of the SLR - do a google search for 'SLR performance scam' and see for yourself - looks like it is 'one size fits all' which leaves me wondering - for my truck one SLR unit covers 1997 - 2011 vehicles - regardless of which engine/transmission combo the car shipped with (the Hypertech I have had four different units for my model year alone).

Price is way too low for what they should be providing (IMHO)

Here are two links I found on the SLR unit -

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2699407

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?4558168

Do some homework

David D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.