1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slowing down

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I have been trying to slow down my shooting after I switched to a release trigger about a year ago. I have been working hard at it lately, but it seems that shooting fast is sometimes stronger than me. I hold at the house and wondered if raising my hold point will help me slow down because I will be forced to wait for the bird to clear the barrel. I have tried it in the past, but found I didn't swing smoothly to targets. Is it time to revisit a higher gun hold? What have you done to slow down?

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Close your eyes then call for the bird. That'll slow ya down a bit !

3. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Mount the shotgun as usual, place your trigger finger along the side of the receiver, then call "PULL"...

DO NOT move your finger until you see the target, then go through the normal set & release on the trigger. This should slow your timing just about the right amount. Give it a go; tell us how and if it worked for you.....cya

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

In reality you are probably not seeing the target properly before moving the gun. Moving your vision out of the house may be helpful but telling yourself not to go till you really see the target might also help.

Tom

5. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Colt, that's a very interesting idea. I'll try it this week. Tom, I think you're right--I'm probably not seeing targets like I should. I'm going to experiment with a higher gun hold this week, BUT I'm going to avoid looking at the house. I know that if I look at the house, I'll start anticipating the target.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

TBaber has the answer. Soft focus at 30 yards, and let your eyes come back to the bird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.