1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slowest load that can be used for yardage...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying that I have zero interest in loading...and 100% interest in using all but my mandatory reloading hours with the muzzle in the air working on actual shooting improvement/practice.

Unfortunately, at least in my case, reloading is a necessary evil to keep down cost and have a shell that recoils less, perhaps patterns better..and maybe is more consistant than Wal-Mart or other discount shells.

I also believe that overthinking shot shell formulas is counter productive for me..since so much of this is a mental game...and I would be prone to blame a missed target on this load or that load on any given day...especially if I got into reloading "too" deeply. The less I worry about that scenario the better... One load that would work for all I do would be nice...and I'm not sure that can't be done. I've passed off some factory loads as once fired special formula concoctions of my own in a used hull box...and get oohs and aahs from others trying them out from the back fence. Go figure...mental picture means everything in this game.

I have a set of Mec Hydraulic loaders...and am slowly narrowing the loads I will be using to the minimum.

I have shot some Winchester Target 1145 loads (not AA's) reciently...because that's all I could get my hands on that day when I ran out of reloads. They shot well from any yardage..very well in fact.

I am aware that most factory loads chrono faster than the advertised specs on the box....so I take that 1145 fps. on the box with a grain of salt...none the less, the targets were smoke from the 27 ( if I did my part).

My question for today is what is the slowest/least recoil 1 1/8 oz. load that you have seen top shooters at your club use successfully for handicap? (I'm not talking about those specially gifted shooters that are a household name...but great local shooters (perhaps yourself) or those you know personally. (Okaay.. those of you that are friends with the best shooters in the world ...may comment on their choices too...lol!!)

Please I have no interest on the subject of less than 1 1/8 oz. loads...that is my mental nemisis... I want all the pellet count I can use legally.

Best regards..Stan Mayfield

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Slower speeds can tighten up a given load, I've seen smoked tgts from 27 with 1090 fps 1&1\8, there does seem to be a slight time lag but once you get "your" timing adjusted the tgt breaks look just as good. (to my eyes)

I shot 1oz @ 1090 for 16s & 20yd for several years but now shooting 7\8oz @ about 1150--1175, mainly because that's what I found in the loading data books & I seem to do just as well. JME Ross Puls

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I was on a squad with Denis Bringelson last year and watched him go straight @ the 27 with 2 3/4 dram Remington STS #8 1 1/8 oz and a lot of them were smoked. He was on them fast and it was a pleasure to watch. Gun pointing is more important than the shell, maybe? Scott

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting registered targets in 1965 I went to the Steer & Calf Shoot in St. Cloud MN and the great Dan Orlich was there. We all wanted to know what shells he was using and to our surprise we picked up some empties and they were Federal Paper light 8's.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Stan, if a 2-3/4 dr load is too much recoil for you to handle comfortably, maybe your approaching the problem from the wrong angle? As Ross said above, time lag means more precision pointing farther ahead of the targets!!

I'd solve the problems with felt recoil by adding more weight to my gun rather than slowing down my loads? Too slow can mean very high SD numbers, meaning an incomplete powder burn! That goes for any shot weight charge too!

Balanced gun/loads is what your after for your personal timing to a moving target, not merely the slowest shot charge that will break a clay target!

Good luck in your pursuit guy!

Hap

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I agree with Hap, add more weight to the gun. I keep pressures a little more on the higher side than the lower on the powders I use. Especially with Green Dot. Standard Deviations are an outstanding 8.9 fps.

Remember Devon Harris who won the $100,000 shoot off? He was using 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8, #8 Federal Papers from the 27.

Wayne

7. Cush

Cush TS Member

i'd work on my "mental thing" concerning sub-1-1/8 oz. loads and listen to people who have spent years experimenting and figured out that they break more targets with normal-velocity (1250 - 1290) 1 oz., or even 7/8 oz., loads than they do with very slow (1100 or less) 1-1/8 oz. loads.

Choke solves the density problem with any light load and leaves one working on the real solution to improved shooting -- learning to center up everything that flies.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Stan, the velocity marked on the boxes of ammo are correct. They use a different type of chrono. The light operated units us hobbyists use give you a reading of between 15fps and 40fps higher depending on the choke used and the distance to the first screen.

I'm not one of the speed kills crowd. An STS light target load of 1 1/8oz #8 @ 1145fps is superb. Anything you reload that duplicates that should be fine.

9. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys...

I don't have a problem with 2 3/4 or 3 dram loads... Just don't feel the need for anything faster like some do....and thought I would see if I was alone in that regard.

In addition to 12 gauge trap...I also shoot a 30" Browning XS 28 Gauge a lot...skeet, trap, and sporting clays, just for fun. Straights on the Trap 16 are the norm...and hardly ever less than a 23/24 with that little sweet shooter.

Long yardage 12 gauge trap and playday games that are at, and past the 27, are giving me a harder time...but they are new to me and I'm slowly comming along. I barely can shoot in the 20's sometimes, with maybe a 23 once in a while, but feel like I should be able to hit 'em all...LOL. Guess we all think that, or we wouldn't be out there so much striving for a more perfect game.

One of the reasons I like all the lead I can throw (1 1/8oz. 12 gauge) at longer yardage targets... is that our club is on a bare hill...with no cover to speak of. "and" high winds are prevalent here much of the year.

If it's a perfect calm day and the targets have been hooped and fly right...I don't care one way or the other what the load is....and right now I "never" shoot over 3 dram, 1200 fps. loads. I"m certain that is a fast as I'll ever need too...mentally or otherwise at any yardage.

Best regards...Stan

10. drgondog

drgondog Member

The eternal variable discussion.

Slower loads/reduced pressure imply (not prove) less pellet deformation - all other factors the same. Patterns theoretically a little tighter

Slower loads mean more lag time from shot to break - target goes a little farther and worst case to a more open pattern.

More lag time between shot and break is also more time for the target path to be altered from the sight picture you saw when you pulled the trigger.

Lighter loads mean easier to keep head on stock and get tired 'slower'

Lighter loads/lower velocity mean less kinetic energy at target - not as bad at 27yd as second shot in international bunker.

For me - it was 3 dram 8s or 7 1/2's when I was young and tough... 3 1/4 1/4 when I first shot buker (that load dates me) and same for flyers except that I figured 8s 99% of the time, with 7 1/2 second shot on windy days.

I still believ the hottes load you can comfortably shoot gives you better scores simply because faster means less lead, less time to target - both of which should work better for you.

I shoot 2 3/4 1 oz loads for everything but pigeons now... but I am not competing seriously in anything anymore.

Bill
    Scurry, TX

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Here's my loads:

AA hull

Win. 209

18gr green dot

AA12 wad or copy

AA hull

18.5 American Select

AA12 or copy

GM plastic hull

Fed 209A

19.5 Green Dot

12S3

GM plastic hull

Win. 209

20gr Green Dot

12S3

These are ones I use. Be sure and verify
    against published data before using any.
    These are all 1 1/8 oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.