1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Slow Computer!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Our computer has been running slow. We have plenty of memory (2g) so that shouldn't be the problem. A neighbor said to get "Window Washer" to clean up the computer and it should work better. It worked for him. Couldn't find it but did find "System Mechanic." Has anyone used it? Does it work? Would anyone recommend it? Thanks for any help.

Booger

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try 'Blink' from E-eye (www.eeye.com), it doesn't compare code to a list of known problems, but rather tracks processes on the computer to what is expected - when it sees a discrepancy it alerts you.

David D

3. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Booger,
    If you're running XP or Vista do the following things in order and see how they work.

1) under your system tools, run disk defragmenter, allow the program to fix any disk errors it finds.

2) go the run command under the start menu and type, "msconfig", click on the startup tab and de-check every file that does not have a root destination in your system directory, restart your computer and close the warning that pops up, if some of your essential system functions do not work--like your video is messed up or you've lost your network or wireless connection, then go back into msconfig and turn all of the startups back on--turn them off one at a time to find out which ones are essential and which are not. The startup programs are programs that windows loads in the background so you can have one click access from the system tray (lower right hand corner). They use up valuable resources unnecessarily. You will still have access to the programs, you'll just start them under the start menu.

3) Update your anti-virus software and run a full scan.

4) Google "Ad Aware" and download and run. Quarantine and delete all detected files.

5) If these don't work, PM me and we can go through some registry clean-up steps that can stream line your machine.

Stay away from all-in-one system software designed to keep things running smoothly as they have a tendency to mess up your registry.

Hope that helps...

Walker

4. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Start reading up on Linux Mandriva... there are some outstanding system maintenance programs in that o/s that you can use to keep your machine running right.

You can download Mandriva for free and load it from a CD without having to install it...

...its also nice if you can get a copy of Hiren's Boot CD X.

What can I say? I'm a hacker at heart and I hate to see people get ripped off by the Geek Squad.

Walker

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

When was the last time you did a disk cleanup and defrag?

double click on the My computer icon and go to your C drive, right click on it and left click on properties. Now left click on disk clean, go to tools and run disk defragment. You may have an issue we the disk clean, because Microshaft did not fix the glitch in the compress old files registry entry, so it may take some time to run up to 30 minutes in some cases. If you are interested in the fix let me know and I will post it again. After disk clean up is done , now run defrag. That may take some time if you have not done it in a long time as well.

Jerbear

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

First of all, how fast is your processor? Is it a single core or a dual? You can have all the RAM in the world and the processor can only push it through so fast. Also, what operating system? Vista or XP? Feel free to PM me with any questions. Josh

7. david

david Member

My Internet Explorer was crawling along for the last couple months. I went in to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced Tab | Reset

It resets all browser plug ins, cookies, temp files, password and restores settings.

My IE now runs lightning fast.

David

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One other thing that can slow a system down is your Antivirus/internet security program. One program was so bad a couple of years ago, I spent a good amount of time uninstalling it and switching clients over to something with less overhead. Adding programs like system mechanic can also slow a system down, depending on how they are configured. I like the K.I.S.S. principle. Less is better!

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I've had the same problem - everything slower than hell. TNX - I'm going to try all of these things,

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi David, I was going to follow your directions but it says to only do that if your browser is in a unusable condition. Is there a possibility of loosing anything important? Thanks for your help. Jackie B.

11. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Thanks for the help, everybody.

Booger

12. david

david Member

Jack, this is from the help section for the reset.

Reset Internet Explorer to the default settings
    By resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings, you return it to the state it was in when it was first installed on your computer. This is useful for troubleshooting problems that might be caused by settings that were changed after installation. When you restore Internet Explorer's default settings, some webpages that rely on previously stored cookies, form data, passwords, or previously installed browser add-ons might not work correctly. Resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings does not delete your favorites, feeds, and a few other personalized settings. See the table below for a complete list of all settings and information about whether they are reset or maintained.

If you purchased your computer with Windows already installed, any settings the manufacturer specified will be reapplied. These settings might include a specific home page or search provider.

The following table describes what will happen to various settings when you reset Internet Explorer.

Settings categories Items affected
    Settings that are deleted Browser history, temporary Internet files, cookies, form data, and stored passwords
    Typed URL information, offline webpages, menu extensions
    Websites added to intranet, trusted, or restricted zones
    Websites added for special cookie handling under the Privacy tab
    Websites allowed to use pop-ups under Pop-up Blocker settings
    Explorer most recently used list

Settings that are reset to Windows or manufacturer defaults Home page (for more information on backing up your home page tabs, click Related Topics)
    Search providers, tabbed browsing settings
    Colors, languages, fonts, and accessibility settings (General tab)
    Security settings for all zones (Security tab)
    Advanced tab settings
    Privacy tab settings
    Pop-up blocker, AutoComplete, Phishing Filter, and Zoom settings
    Page setup, toolbar, and text size settings
    Feeds settings (sync and notification, not feeds themselves)
    ActiveX controls that are not on the pre-approved list (reset to opt-in state)
    Toolbars, browser helper objects, and browser extensions are disabled

Settings and items that are maintained Favorites
    Feeds
    Content Advisor settings
    Pre-approved ActiveX controls
    Temporary Internet file (cache) path settings
    Certificate information
    Internet Programs (e-mail, instant messenger, and other programs associated with Internet use)
    Internet connection, proxy, and VPN settings
    Default web browser setting

To reset Internet Explorer to the default settings

Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
    Open Internet Explorer.
    Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
    In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
    When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK.
    Close Internet Explorer.
    The changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Notes

If you close all visible windows, but still get an error message when trying to reset, you might have programs running that are not visible. Restart Windows, open Internet Explorer, and try resetting again.
    If any of the categories fail to reset, it is because Internet Explorer could not access a file or registry setting. This can be caused by insufficient security privileges, files or settings being used by another program, or low memory or high CPU usage. You can either continue to use Internet Explorer without resetting these settings, or restart your computer and try running reset again.
    If you are using Internet Explorer on a server and have turned off hardening (stronger security settings for use on servers), reset will go to client level security. You must reinstall hardening if you want the increased security level.
    To learn how to re-enable add-ons, click Related Topics.