1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slip up during reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim In FL, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

Newbie question..

Strictly hypothetical..

Mec 600 jr. IF you were to pull the case out of station 3 after dumping shot in it, and IF you were to fat-finger and drop it, causing all the shot to fall all over the bench, floor and all the way to the neighbor's driveway, is their a way to easily work it back into the sequence to finish it starting with shot ?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Jim In FL

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Just redrop your shot and continue the process.

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Tip the bottles back, move bar back to shot and go from there.....GOOD LUCK

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hypothetical? Jeez we have all done that one.

What I do is dump a powder charge into a unprimed empty then dump that back into the powder bottle, then recharge shot into the shell you were working on at the time of the hypothetical incident and finish that through the crimp stations. Now you are back in sequence for the next shell.

Rule #1, if you haven't spilled anything at the reloader, you aren't trying hard enough.

5. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

Thought of that Shady - but the little bar comes across the front and you can't get the bottles forward again.

The only way I can see would be to take the powder bottle off completely.

Jim In FL

6. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

That got it wolfram. I didn't realize you could 'help' those fingers raise up a bit to get the shell back out after powder, to dump the powder.

Thanks all !

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Just fill the shot cup by hand so it looks the same as the ones that normally run through. If you are running a max pressure load, fill it so it looks the same and then take out about 6 pellets for a little safety margin. The exact pellet count is not that big of deal. I learned how to load without a press and I would spill powder or shot on a regular basis. Don't be too embarassed. I also bolted shallow cake pans under my MEC presses for years because I didn't want shot or powder spilled in the house. Good Luck

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Boy you guys must be rich, with the price of shot I chase down every pellet and stick it back into the shell. 8)

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Hypothetically I dumped about 3lbs. of lead in about 1/2 lb. of powder. That was TRULY stupid!!!!!!!

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

Those kitchen strainers work real well separating shot from powder.

Hypothetically, of course.

11. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

pour any remaing shot back in shot bottle, reach & get another fired shell with old primer still in it. put fired shell in station 3, cycle new powder in old shell. STOP. Pour new powder back in powder measure, this is very important. take 1st shell back in station 3, go back to reloading..

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Rule #2, if you haven't spilled anything at the reloader, you're BUYING shells!

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I did the hypothetical shot in the powder thing with some 700x and never really got the powder shot free. But being the cheap ass that I am, I decided to use that 'heavy' powder in some .44 Special plinking loads. It worked fine except I did have a few pellets roll out of the fired cases and back into my holster. I about went crazy trying to figure out how all those gunky shot pieces were accumulating in my holster.

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

sheesh,should'uv seen the mess I made with my 9000,,LMAO,,still cleaning up shot out of the oak desk I have it mounted on.Good thing I had the drawer open a tad,it caught a lot of it.Still loading slow and checking powder drops every tenth shell or so,over cautious I know,but being new to reloading myself,I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Doug H.

15. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

"Heavy Powder" thats a good one !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.