1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SLIP 2000, any comments?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SEPAShooter, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEPAShooter

SEPAShooter TS Member

A friend ask me to check this ckoke tube cleaner out.
    anyone using it ?

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Ya I do, works great, just don't leave parts in it to long. Will take off some finishes.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use it because the wife complained about my Shooters Choice smelling. It works good, not the best but acceptable. I do leave my gas pistion soak in it for a few days, never hurt anything yet. The best part is it is biodegradeable and does not have a bad odor, washes off hands easily

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you like Slip 2000, you owe it to yourself to try Clenzoil, works as good or better, non offensive pleasant odor, will not harm any finishes can even use it on the wood, leather, for cleaning and soaking parts and pieces, but I wouldn't gargle with it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The tubes that I cleaned with this product did a great job. I still use it and glad I got it.

6. SEPAShooter

SEPAShooter TS Member

7. SEPAShooter

SEPAShooter TS Member

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

No better than 90% of the similar stuff out there.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

claybrdr is right...

Just mix up a batch of Ed's Red Bore Cleaner:

Equal parts of:<UL><li>acetone<li>odorless mineral spirits or Kingsford charcoal lighter fluid<li>K-1 kerosene<li>Dexron III automatic transmission fluid</ul>

$12 buys me enough of the above to make a gallon of cleaner. Store in a metal can to prevent evaporation of the volatiles.

Once the acetone and the mineral spirits have evaporated, the kerosene and Dexron work well as a gun oil and corrosion inhibitor.

MK

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- You could also try Pat's Super Cleaning Stuff. It is about 50% kerosene, 35% acetone and 15% automotive transmission fluid.

I prefer this mixture over the gasoline that one of my friends uses to clean his guns. If the gasoline ignites it can ruin the finish on your stock.

Pat Ireland

11. Unknown1

Pat. I usually go even lighter on the acetone than the recommended 25%. I keep only about 6 oz of the cleaner in a jar on my bench at any one time and it stays tightly closed. I find that about 15% acetone in the original 1 qt. batch is enough.

MK

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Ed's Red, kerosene, acetone, transmission fluid, brake and carburetor fluids either stink, are flammable, noxious, or all of the above. None I would use inside.

Slip 2000 Gas Piston and Choke Cleaner (different from their lubes and CLPs) is not flammable, doesn't stink, and can be used inside at my workbench. And it cleans the chokes.

13. brantman

brantman TS Member

glenzoil is the best no smell and does the best cleaning job ever

14. Unknown1

<I>"Ed's Red, kerosene, acetone, transmission fluid, brake and carburetor fluids either stink, are flammable, noxious, or all of the above. None I would use inside."</I>

So.. no one's making you use them either. You have your way, we have ours. Use whatever pleases you... it's a free country!

MK

15. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

It might make a wonderful deodorizer for a gun club bathroom, but don't buy it to clean your gun.

If you need something that's inside friendly, buy Gunzilla...

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

16. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Will Slip2000 harm the finish on Browning Midas Grade chokes where they are colored and marked near the end? I've thought about trying a jar of it, but was always afraid it would harm the markings. Thanks. Garrett

17. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I like Slip 2000 as it does a good job and has a nice orange smell to it but it is still requires a separate rust preventative as a last step.

I prefer Gunzilla over the others as it is a one step process. It has no smell, does a great job removing fouling and plastic and leaves a rust preventative film. It can also be used as a lubricant.

18. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Forget all the flammable, caustic or cancer causing chemicals! You don't need them in your home or worse absorbed through your skin. I use a rod with a bronze brush and bronze wool on a drill. I don't bother with any solvents any more as the bronze wool/brush combo clean and polish my choke tubes and barrels better than new and I don't have to spend money on solvent or store them anywhere in my home. Clean with a lubed bore mop and finish lube and run a wool bore runner to coat with G96 or any synthetic lube.

However If you must use a solvent,

Slip 2000 Gas piston parts/Choke Tube Cleaner is NON-Toxic, Non-Flammable, NON-Hazardous and biodegradable. I dropped a few really dirty, plastic filled choke tubes in and left them in overnight. All the plastic, lead, carbon etc was either floating on top or on the bottom of the jar the next morning when I took them out. Don't get it on anything blued or painted or powder coated or otherwise marked as it will remove it.

It cleans better than almost anything if you leave your tubes or parts in the solvent over night. When you remove your chokes or parts from the slip 2000, coat them with a good synthetic lube (slip 2000 lube or G96) and your parts or choke tubes are done and they will clean even easier the next time.

The best part is You don't have to worry about using smelly, toxic, caustic, flammable or cancer causing agents or having them around your home.

Shoot well often and safely!
    Tom

19. docshank

docshank TS Member

I agree with WPT and brantman. I use Clenzoil on the whole gun (wood included). Since using Clenzoil in the bores of my guns, I haven't had any plastic buildup in my choke tubes that a boresnake wouldn't take out. I've used the Slip 2000 choke tube cleaner (still have some around here somewhere) and it worked good. I just haven't had a need for it, since I started using Clenzoil. Check out their website. http://clenzoilfieldrange.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does slip 2000 ruin paint