1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SliderWindow Invitation to theft.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mixer, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Sorry for your problem but don't you think a purse left in plain sight might have been an invitation to the thief? Thieves are not going to break into a vehicle unless they can see something of value that they can grab and run.

Eric

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Eric is right but the sliders are the easy target, an alarm with a lamp blinking will keep them away

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is another side to this question explained to me many years ago by a police officer. The officer was investigating a break in to my car and the theft of my mother in laws purse at a restaurant parking lot.

First, thieves often park in large parking lots and watch for ladies going into the business without carrying a purse. If they see that, they know a purse is in the car. They will get into the car. If you leave the door unlocked, they will open the door and take the purse. If the car is locked, they will break the most convenient window and get into the car. Usually, one thief will break the window as he walks by the car. He will be followed in a minute or so by the second thief who grabs the purse. It is not unusual for the financial loss of the broken window to exceed the loss of money in the purse.

The time difference between a thief getting into a locked car and an unlocked car is less than 5 seconds. It makes little difference to the thief is the car is locked or unlocked. A mallet covered with a cloth will break any automobile glass with relatively little noise. I do lock my car, but this may not be the smart thing to do.

Pat Ireland

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Thieve's will take anything. Case in point, a thief got into my car about 2 weeks ago and popped the trunk. Only things missing were a pair of shooting ear muffs and a 10yo worn out window squeege. About two days later the local police came to my home to return the muffs (my name was on them)and said the thief had left them in another car he had gotten into. Guess the thief thought the muffs were some kind of headphones.

Eric

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Before anyone considers leaving their car/truck unlocked to save on having to replace a broken window, they should carefully read their insurance policies regarding theft. On some policies (such as my gun insurance policy), thefts from unlocked vehicles are not covered.

Easystreet

6. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

FYI: I recently bought a 08 Ranger PU, When I inquired about a sliding rear window the Salesman said it would be a local "Add On".
    This dealership did not order trucks in with sliding back window unless the customer asked for it....Special order.
    The reason given was rear window too easy to break into.
    I agree, and took the truck as it was.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Easystreet Most insurance companies will not insure a theft from an unlocked car. Most insurance companies have a $500 deductible. Many purses contain less than $500 and a side window can be replaced for $200 (?).

I am not recommending that anyone not lock their car. I lock mine. All I am trying to do is recognize that sometimes locking a car might not be the best thing to do.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.