1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slick50 for high mileage engins, as gun lube

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cottondoctor, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I know the subject of gun lubrication has been beat almost to death on this site – but I always like see what other people think on the subject. I recently tried some Slick 50 formulated for high mileage engines as a lube on my Perazzi. It seemed to work very, very well – stayed put and seemed to be a very “slick” lube. Have any of you tried Slick 50, especially Slick 50 for high mileage engines (it appears to be a little thicker than regular Slick 50) as a lube on your break open trap gun? And, opinions please….

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'd use chain saw chain/bar oil. It's just as sticky and a lot less expensive! Slick 50 was shown in court to be no better than the oil it was mixed with so why pay a lot of money for nothing?

Morgan

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chain saw oil works good on my P/W also...

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Remember STP?

HM

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oil, grease, whatever.

As long as you wipe it off and re-lube often.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

With all of the good to great gun lube products on the market today why would anyone experiment with engine lubricants on a gun and vise versa ..? Do people try scouring powder to shine up their teeth and tooth past to clean the kitchen sink also ..? I use gun lube where needed and engine lube where it made to go ... Clenzoil is good for everything though ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Slick 50 makes a spray can lube called One Lube, 12 oz. for $1.99 at Menards this last weekend. It really works if you fix a door knob in the kitchen and then walk past the area later in your sock feet - Wheeeeee! For the tree huggers, they used to market it in a pump bottle. Probably at least as good as Triflo about the same viscosity.

9. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

I'm with Halfmile. I have been using STP for years with good results. Keep a small bottle and some Q-tips to put it on with in my rangebag always. I've used the One Lube mentioned above before, but STP is better IMO. JD

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

STOS as well, comes with an applicator, similar to a hypodermic needle.

What I would like to know, is what to use in very cold weather duck hunting. My 303A beretta has function troubles, loading the second shell. Ben

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I used STP on my new Browning Combo, really helped with breaking it down.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gary: Do you mean breaking it "in"?

13. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Clean your guns with mineral spirits, blow dry and lube with a good clean light weight engine oil. Worked in the service for tank weapons and side arms as well as being recommended by Perazzi. Post-2

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've had really good performance from Marvel Mystery Oil on my semi-auto hand guns as well. I sticks to the slide rails better than gun oil and smells good too. I can't think of any good reason it would not work well for shotguns.

Morgan

15. 870smokim

870smokim TS Member

I use Slick 50, to lub the inside of my barrles, Makes the crud, about to fall out.
    870 smokim Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.