1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep walking can be hazardous, ask my grandson

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 31, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I don't think that I ever sleep walked in my life. No one in my immediate family ever did either to my knowledge.

My wife told me that her brother was to sleep walk. When they were kids he actually got dressed and attempted to open the door to go outside. Luckily his parents heard the door and quickly stopped him.

All he-- broke loose around 3am this morning at my daughters house. Everyone was sleeping and one of my grandsons was sleep walking and he entered his older brother's bedroom and urinated all over his brother and his bed.

My daughter and her husband heard the screaming, the punching, the yelling of names and the sleep walker was actually sleeping. Yes, it's funny, but this is scary that someone can get up and do something like this and be a sleep.

Any one ever sleep walk on this site, or have a relative that use to sleep walk?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Sleep walking can be hazourdous, ask my grandson

Steve if he ever comes over to your place for a sleep over make sure you door is locked LOL

One time my wife and I were at some friends house that was quite a ways away from our place and we all like to drink beer so we spend the night, the first time my wife said I was sleep walking and went into the closet in our room and started to take a whizz, my wife had to come in and wake me up

3. senior smoke

Catpower:
    LOL
    Steve

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Catpower, I don't know if I'd have told that one, and you can sure bet I will NOT tell you mine of many years ago.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bob, that was many many moons ago, that was one of the good stories from my wild and wooly days LOL

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I used to be a regular sleepwalker. I'd end up various places, once even in my sister's room in a scenario similar to the above!

My parents got very frustrated. One year a few months before my birthday my mom said she would put a dime in a metal Band-Aid box every night I stayed in my bed and for my birthday we could have a pizza party. My birthday came and I didn't have a single dime!

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I sleepwalked regularly as a kid, but only if my sleep was disturbed. My older brother came home from the bar late one night, and his bouncing around must have got me going. At the time, we only had one bathroom in the house, across the hall from my bedroom, which is why I heard him bouncing off the walls. He heard my bedroom door open, and me walking down the hall, then downstairs. He chased after me when he was done, and caught me on my bike, rolling out the driveway. When he asked me where I was going, I told him I forgot my homework at school, and had to go get it! He knew I was sleepwalking in a dream, because I NEVER did homework! I was found all over the house at one time or another, but never remembered it in the morning.

8. senior smoke

Sailor:
    I am starting to think this is more of a problem than I thought. I am going to suggest that my daughter put a bell on his bedroom door at night.
    Steve

9. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I walked thru a window on the second floor of our house when I was a kid. Got about 30 stitches in my thigh. The noise and the cold air woke me up. Luckily I didn't fall. I caught on to the side of the window frame and pulled myself back in. Stopped sleep walking when I was about 19. Birdtracker

10. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Steve

I did sleep once and only once that I know of. I was in Army Boot Camp
    at Fort Bliss, Texas.
    The Drill Sargent came through the barracks around 2:00 in the morning.
    I was standing at the foot of me bed, in my shorts and t-shirt standing
    at attention and saluting. Drill Sargent hollered at me, get my Goddamn
    ass back in bed. I woke up, it scared the hell out of me.

Next day, that drill Sargent asked me if I did this sleep walking thing often.
    I said no, and I will never do it again. Never did that I know of.

birddog

11. senior smoke

It's clear to me that sleep walking could be very hazardous to someone. I wonder if someone who is sleep walking could actually shoot a gun and hurt or kill someone and not even know it?

Can imagine a movie that someone commits a crime sleep walking and goes back to bed and not even know it. I wonder how long sleep walking could be if someone does not wake them up?
    Steve

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Most alcohol users/abusers have had incidents of sleepwalking, including myself. You won't find many of them talking about it though. Wonder why you don't hear of many women sleepwalking? Bill

13. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Senior Smoke - there is a case, I think they made the movie, about a murder by a sleep walker of one of the in-laws.

wiki has several accounts - see link above

I had a similar experience several times in the military while being sleep deprived. My mom used to watch me come down stairs and make sandwiches at night and have a conversation with me on occasion while I was sound asleep. I am sure glad she never interrogated me. LOL

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The Dr. gave my menopausal wife Ambien pills to help her sleep. She started sleep walking. She would do weird things like walk to the livingroom and start dialing random phone numbers. She would never talk, just hang up the phone and dial again. She would walk over to the potted plants and start plucking leaves off. She was never combative when I lead her back to bed, sometimes she was even "accomodating". I hated loosing that benefit, but I made her stop taking those pills. I would hate to think what she would do with the nightstand revolver. Could be scarry.

15. senior smoke

jagrdawger:
    Now that's scary.
    Steve

16. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Steve,

Quote: All he-- broke loose around 3am this morning at my daughters house. Everyone was sleeping and one of my grandsons was sleep walking and he entered his older brother's bedroom and urinated all over his brother and his bed.

LMAO, there is more to this story, gotta be.

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I sleep walked as a youngster once left the house and wander a block to a friends house. Midlle of the night my frineds older brother found me and got me home. Amazing I didn't wlak in fornt of a car or into a tree. My wife was a sleep walker it would wake me when she got out of bed and sh would converse wioth me while a sleep. One time I asked where she was going and she responded" to vacumm the first floor as company would be over soon". The company was stopping by the following evening. She hasn;;t sleep walked in 25 yrs or more.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have sleep walked a few times that I know of - once I 'woke up' to find myself at the reloading bench making some shotshells. I had about a dozen of them finished and they all looked fine and I did shoot them. Probably a good chance I took a leak in the back yard on the way to the shed. Laughable stuff.

The possibility of handling a loaded firearm is pretty scarey but as far as I know it never happened with me.

19. darr

darr Well-Known Member

The question is, is the sleep walker physically ok. I'm just saying it could be dangerous to wake somebody with an unwelcome shower.

Darr

20. senior smoke

I would think if you wake someone while sleep walking they might take a swing at you? I wonder if someone could actually drive while sleepwalking?

If you take a look at some of my trapshooting scores over the years, I could be accused of shooting while a sleep.
    Steve