1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slaughter Solution Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by jimrich60, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

For those who would argue that the so-called "Slaughter Solution" to get Obamacare on the books is somehow Ok, I have been doing some research on the subject. It has already been been pronounced unconstitutional by none other than the United States Supreme Court, in 1998 in Clinton vs N.Y. City. Although this case involved the Congress passage of a Presidential line item veto issue, in invalidating that law, the Supreme Court cited at some length, Article 1 Section 7 of the U. S. Constitution. I have excerpted the relevant paragraph(s) below from Section VI of the Court Ruling:

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
    NEW YORK et al.
    ON APPEAL FROM THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
    [June 25, 1998]

VI
    “………Third, our decision rests on the narrow ground that the procedures authorized by the Line Item Veto Act are not authorized by the Constitution. The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 is a 500-page document that became “Public Law 105—33” after three procedural steps were taken: (1) a bill containing its exact text was approved by a majority of the Members of the House of Representatives; (2) the Senate approved precisely the same text; and (3) that text was signed into law by the President. THE CONSTITUTION EXPLICITLY REQUIRES THAT EACH OF THOSE THREE STEPS BE TAKEN BEFORE A BILL MAY "BECOME A LAW." Art. I, §7. ......" (Emphasis mine)

Clearly, the exact same bill must be "approved" (not deemed) by each House before it can be signed into law. There is clearly no wiggle room, either here or in the Constitution itself. Any other method or work around is simply a direct and illegal violation of the Supreme Law of our land.

Jim R

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Jim, I live not far from Louise and the way they want to do this is to add on to the health care bill student loans, so they would be voting for student loans and the health bill would be attached. So they can say they never voted for the health care bill. At least that's the way I heard it.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Bernie

Yes, that is apparently one variation of the Slaughter Solution. But in any case cited, the House would be voting on some bill that is not the exact same bill that the Senate passed, and that is what is unconstitutional. Both bills must be the "exact same" and must be approved by each House. They may not contain other language, they may not just be "similar" and they cannot be "deemed" approved. The exact same bill must be voted on and approved before it can be signed into law. So saith the Constitution, and affirmed by the Supreme Court.

Also, just saw part of a Fox interview of Obama who stated he "saw no problem" with the Slaughter Solution (and he claims to be a Constitutional lawyer!!) and further, that we (the American People) don't care how Obamacare is passed or whether it is legal anyway.

Jim R

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They are going to ram it down our throats, or up our asses withever way you want to look at it, and then when someone tries to repeal it they will claim that, that party is trying to take away your health care, and is evil

Because the American people have a memory about as long as their pecker, they will believe it

5. jjwack10

jjwack10 TS Member

skeet2day

Your exactly right, Obama said he doesn't know exactly what is in the bill and he doesn't care how it gets passed. It is really crazy the people we have in office these days. What a bunch of crooks, liars and cheats.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.